House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Now Is A Good Time To Buy - Ray Boulger Again

Sky News did an interesting piece, this morning, on buying versus renting I won't go into the whole article as it was rather long, but......

Ray boulger was one of the contributors and he was introduced as a housing expert rather than a mortgage broker. He waffled on for a couple of minutes in that familiar monotone drone of his, but one thing stood out for me...

"mortgage rates are low, so if you can get your parents, or grandparents, to provide the 40% deposit, now is a good time to buy" :rolleyes:.

"if you can get your parents, or grandparents to provide the 40% deposit now is a good time to buy"

That comment beggars belief - what a tool of the most massive order.

I'm furious, what a complete & utter twunt, completely despicable fool.

That comment beggars belief - what a tool of the most massive order.

I'm furious, what a complete & utter twunt, completely despicable fool.

We'll know this time next year if he was right or wrong.

Sky News did an interesting piece, this morning, on buying versus renting I won't go into the whole article as it was rather long, but......

Ray boulger was one of the contributors and he was introduced as a housing expert rather than a mortgage broker. He waffled on for a couple of minutes in that familiar monotone drone of his, but one thing stood out for me...

"mortgage rates are low, so if you can get your parents, or grandparents, to provide the 40% deposit, now is a good time to buy" :rolleyes:.

Has Ray Boulger ever said anything else?

Would this be Ray Boulger, expert on the housing industry, front man for Charcol.. who went into adminstration in February ?

I think that might be him.

It is a shame the backgrounds on some of these 'experts' is not put on as a disclaimer everytime they appear offering their opinion.

The one that gets me is Phil Spencer another head of a failing company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalus

Tantalus's punishment for his act, now a proverbial term for temptation without satisfaction (the source of the English word "tantalise" - US "tantalize"),[13]) was to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches. Whenever he reached for the fruit, the branches raised his intended meal from his grasp. Whenever he bent down to get a drink, the water receded before he could get any. Over his head towers a threatening stone, like that of Sisyphus.[14]
:D

...Sky News if they had any balance or brains should have asked him if his view was tainted on the basis he needed the business to keep his monthly commissions rolling...... :rolleyes:

you cant afford a house, so its a good time to buy.

makes perfect sense.

Quite a lot of my friends were considering moving house last year to something bigger/better, along came a dose of cancelled overtime or job regrading or redundancy with the new job paying less etc...etc.

They alll seemed to get into DIY and decorating real quick and all talk of mortgages, moving/houses and general propety hooha seems to have disappeared from dinner conversations. One or two had a near miss with a nervous breakdown or marriage difficulties in the meantime.

Funny what job insecurity will do to your aspirations.

Edited by eightiesgirly

I think that might be him.

It is a shame the backgrounds on some of these 'experts' is not put on as a disclaimer everytime they appear offering their opinion.

The one that gets me is Phil Spencer another head of a failing company.

Make that collapsed company...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1169915/Location-Location-Location-star-Phil-Spencers-property-firm-went-bust-owing-500-000.html

Ray Boulger also recommends this:

If you can get your parents, your grandparents, your cousins, your friends to lend you 100% the cost of a bugatti, now is a good time to buy!

Ray Boulger's called me to correct that quote. He doesn't recommend buying if you can come up with 100% of the money because then you wouldn't be able to take advantage of low mortgage rates.

I know that knowing and believing are not the same thing. I know better than to play the stock market.

Buy you stated a belief as a fact. None of us know if now is a good time to buy or not, compared with next year. Interest rates are at an all time low, people will consider reductions (though some wont), so now could be a good time. Next year interest rates could be up, the economy could be improving and HPI could be back on again. Remember prices dropped from 2007 and have gone back up again lately. They are actually up overall on this year, which is amazing when you think about it???!!!!! :blink:

Buy you stated a belief as a fact. None of us know if now is a good time to buy or not, compared with next year. Interest rates are at an all time low, people will consider reductions (though some wont), so now could be a good time. Next year interest rates could be up, the economy could be improving and HPI could be back on again. Remember prices dropped from 2007 and have gone back up again lately. They are actually up overall on this year, which is amazing when you think about it???!!!!! :blink:

The bulk of buyers need finance.

Mr Boulger himslef complains people need large deposits and that banks have tightened criteria.

overall, lending is down ( mortgage lending is up, but include the rest and credit is down)

This means the total sales in the coming economy total is going to go down, UNLESS exports pick up.

My view: Its a bad time to buy....If you have cash and MUST have that place....just go for it...sales occurred all throughout the last HPC.

I'm not going to argue with you, Johnny. Perhaps my definition of a good time to buy is different from yours. Prices may rise again but not much or for long imo. But for me that is not important. To buy an illiquid asset now is alright if one wants to gamble against the factors which are present and which will inevitably exercise influence. Some people could buy now and make a profit. But to say that in the present circumstances that it is a good time to buy is to me simply a falsehood.

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

"mortgage rates are low, so if you can get your parents, or grandparents, to provide the 40% deposit, now is a good time to buy" rolleyes.gif.

Pure comedy gold

Does he realise how moronic he sounds?

Buy you stated a belief as a fact. None of us know if now is a good time to buy or not, compared with next year. Interest rates are at an all time low, people will consider reductions (though some wont), so now could be a good time. Next year interest rates could be up, the economy could be improving and HPI could be back on again. Remember prices dropped from 2007 and have gone back up again lately. They are actually up overall on this year, which is amazing when you think about it???!!!!! blink.gif

If you believe the figures.

Nothing I've been watching has risen (selling price not asking)

We have an austerity govt now. For HPI to pick up again, we need 2007 lending levels from cash strapped banks.

Fancy a flutter on that?

I'm not going to argue with you, Johnny. Perhaps my definition of a good time to buy is different from yours. Prices may rise again but not much or for long imo. But for me that is not important. To buy an illiquid asset now is alright if one wants to gamble against the factors which are present and which will inevitably exercise influence. Some people could buy now and make a profit. But to say that in the present circumstances that it is a good time to buy is to me simply a falsehood.

Im not interested in making a profit. I want somewhere nice to live.

I think a big part of the puzzle that a lot of us forget about is that the vast majority of people dont have to sell. They can easily wait you out, because it costs them less than it costs us paying rent. When you couple this with the idea that their home is worth a certain amount and selling it for less is actually losing them money it makes for a stand off situation. Who will blink first? Those who dont have to sell, or those who cant rent forever? If you dont believe me, load propertybee and check out some of the houses you like. A lot of the ones I like have been for sale for over a year state "no chain" and there has been no price drop at all.

Im just trying to interject a little realism that I have learned the hard way, watching house prices rise for 8 years. Seeing them rise much faster than I could save or my earnings increased (Until recently).

Im not interested in making a profit. I want somewhere nice to live.

I think a big part of the puzzle that a lot of us forget about is that the vast majority of people dont have to sell. They can easily wait you out, because it costs them less than it costs us paying rent. When you couple this with the idea that their home is worth a certain amount and selling it for less is actually losing them money it makes for a stand off situation. Who will blink first? Those who dont have to sell, or those who cant rent forever? If you dont believe me, load propertybee and check out some of the houses you like. A lot of the ones I like have been for sale for over a year state "no chain" and there has been no price drop at all.

Im just trying to interject a little realism that I have learned the hard way, watching house prices rise for 8 years. Seeing them rise much faster than I could save or my earnings increased (Until recently).

This has always been true since the beginning of time

Why didn't it happen in the 90s? and why isn't it happening in the USA right now?

.....because you're just talking about people who "would like to" move. Some people HAVE to move or HAVE to sell.