House Price Crash Forum

Plight Of The 1.1Million Stuck In Homes They Can't Sell

HOLA441
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Couple in our shop today buying a LOT of paint to refurb the whole house. Property has been on the market for 6 months without a single viewing and the price dropped by 20k after 3 months but still nothing. They are thinking that by 'refreshing' the house they are likely to get a better offer.

Well they might. Someone is still buying...

And you missed a trick if you didn't have a lifestyle selection of fluffy cushions to sell to them too. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

Couple in our shop today buying a LOT of paint to refurb the whole house. Property has been on the market for 6 months without a single viewing and the price dropped by 20k after 3 months but still nothing. They are thinking that by 'refreshing' the house they are likely to get a better offer.

Obviously I didn't ant to lose a sale so didn't bring up this up, but the EA has already taken pictures etc, so how are nice new walls going to achieve a better offer? You need to get people through the door first, and the best way to get people to look at your property is through the price. I don't browse rightmove looking at pictures, we look at price. I have NEVER been drawn to a property because a room had a fresh coat of paint on 3 walls and a fresh coat of a different colour paint on 1 wall.

Of course if they ever do sell the house, I can go through the whole transaction again with a different set of people looking to redocrate the whole house cool.gif

If they do get through the door though, a fresh coat of paint can work wonders. It's the same with cars, shine them up onthe outisde and people will drool over them, forgetting of course that within half an hour of driving it, it will look like every other car on the road.

I always marvel at how odd the human race is.

HOLA445

Agree, access to capital - throwing away the lending rule book would have allowed the EA's office cleaner to gear up to the nuts too.

Agreed. My shoeshine boy moment was listening to two checkout ladies talking about their BTL portfolios in Farm Foods in east London. Now I may be doing them a diservice but that seemed to be an unusual thing for checkout ladies in a discount supermarket in the roughest end of town to do.

HOLA446

We should start a charity to help these poor people ..

Unfortunately one has been set up already. A few million savers are forced to forfeit a return on their savings to enable debtors to stay in their houses.

HOLA447

Why do EA`s want high prices? I would have thought cheap houses and high turnover would make them more money?

It's the CNBC mindset. They know that the only way they can get real high volumes is by sucking in people who have no need for property with the prospect of high speculative profits. If the housing market only catered for people looking to acquire a shelter for their family, volumes would be a fraction of what they are.

HOLA448

It's the CNBC mindset. They know that the only way they can get real high volumes is by sucking in people who have no need for property with the prospect of high speculative profits. If the housing market only catered for people looking to acquire a shelter for their family, volumes would be a fraction of what they are.

So true, I think that nails it. No way they can get volumes up in this environment without a massive crash though? and even then they would have to convince people that prices can go back up, which is not going to happen without the previous access to credit for the masses?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

And twigs... twigs in a vase always does it for me. Just the very thought of them makes me spontaneously open my wallet and tell vendors "here have my first born as well".

I have told people if I ever bring home twigs to go in a vase they should shoot me.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

:D Thats a whopper of a shoulder chip there.

Nope. MrFlibble is right.

Most people that bought properties in the years before the peak were contributing to the problem. And most people that are having problems selling are people who didn't get it yet, that it was a bubble, and that the real value of their properties is way less than they are trying to sell them for. Hence, "greedy gits" is a pretty accurate description for most of them.

Brown, some bank directors, and a few million "greedy gits" fecked Britain, for a generation.

Weren't you aware of this yet?

HOLA4415

Nope. MrFlibble is right.

Most people that bought properties in the years before the peak were contributing to the problem. And most people that are having problems selling are people who didn't get it yet, that it was a bubble, and that the real value of their properties is way less than they are trying to sell them for. Hence, "greedy gits" is a pretty accurate description for most of them.

Brown, some bank directors, and a few million "greedy gits" fecked Britain, for a generation.

Weren't you aware of this yet?

Nope. Most people who bought needed somewhere to house their families and have something to show for the long hours they work, as far as they were concerned the numbers stacked up.

Not everyone has the luxury of wasting their lives waiting for a delayed inevitable crash. What good is the bottom of the market when you need a house now?

HOLA4416

Nope. Most people who bought needed somewhere to house their families (1) and have something to show for the long hours they work (2), as far as they were concerned the numbers stacked up.

(2) Negative equity?!

(1) Wouldn't have been better to rent a house?

Not everyone has the luxury of wasting their lives waiting for a delayed inevitable crash. What good is the bottom of the market when you need a house now?

Haven't you heard of renting?!

You are not making sense. And you must know that.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

(2) Negative equity?!

(1) Wouldn't have been better to rent a house?

Haven't you heard of renting?!

You are not making sense. And you must know that.

As you can see from my join date, the condition and mechanics of the housing market is hardly a surprise to me. But blaming those trying to make the best of the situation, rather than those causing and benefiting from it isn't really a well considered or reasoned opinion.

Edited by PostalVote

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Nope. Most people who bought needed somewhere to house their families and have something to show for the long hours they work, as far as they were concerned the numbers stacked up.

Nobody forced these dimwits to take out huge mortgages and liar loans. About time the blame for hpi was placed where it belongs - at the feet of the 20-30 something status obsessed generation of celebrety worshippers who sold their futures to materialism and now it has gone pearshaped want to blame everyone else.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Nobody forced these dimwits to take out huge mortgages and liar loans. About time the blame for hpi was placed where it belongs - at the feet of the 20-30 something status obsessed generation of celebrety worshippers who sold their futures to materialism and now it has gone pearshaped want to blame everyone else.

You constantly complain about prejudice against Boomers, and then you go and make posts like this.

There is no shortage of people to blame, why single out just one group? Yes, many young people swallowed the hype and took on oversized mortgages which they may end up defaulting on if their incomes fall or interest rates rise even a little. But maybe we can place a little bit of blame on those who fed them the hype: their relatives (just ask any 20something whether their parents think they should buy property even now), the media, and property professionals. And let's not forget, those oversized mortgages would never have existed were it not for the slack lending policies of the retail banks and those hundreds of billions of pounds in cheap credit that the Bank of England created. And of course, there were the politicians who stood idly by while the price of property spiralled ever higher. Why? Because as long as most Britons who own property think HPI makes them richer, democratically elected politicians have little incentive to stop it.

Whose fault was HPI? Lots of people's. Really, it was the system that failed. There will always be greedy and/or stupid people of all ages and at all levels of society. A good system should prevent their greed and stupidity from getting out of control. This one didn't.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Or could read: 1.1 million homeowners would rather pretend their home is worth more than it actually is, even if it means they are stuck there indefinately.

Yep. Three members of my family have sold houses or flats in the UK since the spring and none of them were on the market for more than 2-3 months... the difference is that they were asking realistic prices and not fantasy numbers.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4425

Yep. Three members of my family have sold houses or flats in the UK since the spring and none of them were on the market for more than 2-3 months... the difference is that they were asking realistic prices and not fantasy numbers.

A guy I know - who is not stupid - has sold up with a HUGE loss. He just thinks - thank God I got out. He sees serious, serious stuff ahead. :rolleyes: