House Price Crash Forum

Saudi Judge In Search Of Hospital That Will Damage Criminal's Spine

OnionTerror

HOLA441

Ruddy Nora..

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Saudi-Arabia-Doctors-Asked-To-Damage-Mans-Spine-Judge-Wants-Punishment-To-Fit-Crime/Article/201008315699719?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_4&lid=ARTICLE_15699719_Saudi_Arabia_Doctors_Asked_To_Damage_Mans_Spine:_Judge_Wants_Punishment_To_Fit_Crime

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals if they are willing to damage a man's spinal cord as punishment for a cleaver attack that left a 22-year-old paralysed.

The victim, Abdul-Aziz al Mutairi, became paralysed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago. An unnamed man was sentenced to 14 months in prison for the assault, but released after serving only half that time. The shortened jail time has reportedly enraged Mr Mutairi's family. His 27-year-old brother Khaled said they want an equivalent punishment for the attacker and have appealed to a judge in northwestern Tabuk province.

"We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law," the brother said.

"There is no better word than God's word - an eye for an eye."

The judge has since asked several hospitals if medical paralysis was possible and would they perform the operation. The judge's request is seen as the most extreme example of Sharia law to have been made public in a state which frequently amputates thieves hands, blinds people and has pulled out the teeth of a convict after he allegedly smashed another man's teeth.

Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall

Local newspapers reported a facility in the capital Riyadh had declined, saying it could not inflict such harm. Saudi Arabia enforces strict Islamic law and occasionally hands out punishments based on the ancient legal code. Amnesty International has expressed concerns over the reports and said it was contacting Saudi authorities for details.

"We are very concerned and we will appeal to the authorities not to carry out such a punishment," said Lamri Chirouf, the group's researcher on Saudi Arabia.

He added this was the first time Amnesty had heard of a punishment involving the damaging of a spinal cord.

"It's hard to follow details of the Saudi justice system. People are sentenced in closed trials with no access to the public and no lawyers."

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Heard about this. Absolutely nuts. That's Islamic law for you.

This is why people fear the spread of Sharia law into Europe.

...on the other hand, wouldn't it stop some of the outrageous behaviour here if the perpetrators thought that some real justice would be meted out on them personally?:ph34r:

HOLA447

...on the other hand, wouldn't it stop some of the outrageous behaviour here if the perpetrators thought that some real justice would be meted out on them personally?:ph34r:

I would imagine most doctors in Saudi (a large proportion are foreign nationals) would simply refuse to carry out such an operation.

HOLA448

Good point. I think we've gone beyond the point of no return for trying to do it "the right way", keeping crime in check via good culture and society.

Maybe we have no option but to go the Singaporean way? I mean, look how damn successful that tiny country is. They invested well in the beginning too. A lesson to be learned.

HOLA449

Good point. I think we've gone beyond the point of no return for trying to do it "the right way", keeping crime in check via good culture and society.

Maybe we have no option but to go the Singaporean way? I mean, look how damn successful that tiny country is. They invested well in the beginning too. A lesson to be learned.

I've never really understood the objection to corporal punishment for crimes. It's cheap, quick, doesn't cause permanent damage and is usually very effective (as far as I'm aware) at deterring people from re-offending.

Okay, there is the argument that it's a tad unpleasant but I can't see that that alone outweighs the benefit.

HOLA4410

We can sit here and point the finger all we like at Saudi. This is an extreme case, and distasteful. But my gut feeling is this guy paralysed someone, in Saudi knowing their law, and was getting an early release. Screw him.

And yes the irony is the UK has increasing crime problems and lawlessness. What exactly is we do here to criminals to make their lives hell? They get a short sentence, and serve half of it. If the UK can't afford to imprison offenders, then another method of punishment has to be found. And it *isn't* early release.

HOLA4411

Years ago I was discussing the amputation of fingers and hands with a friend who worked in the Middle East. Yes, he said, it happens but not often as there is so little pilfering as a result of the threat of it. He said that a jeweller could go to lunch and leave his shop open for potential customers to browse at their leisure.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Years ago I was discussing the amputation of fingers and hands with a friend who worked in the Middle East. Yes, he said, it happens but not often as there is so little pilfering as a result of the threat of it. He said that a jeweller could go to lunch and leave his shop open for potential customers to browse at their leisure.

I heard a story years ago of a German guy in Saudi who'd been caught skimming from his employer. Because he was a foreign national they didn't whack his hands off in the public square; they put him in hospital, surgically amputated them then packed them in ice and sent them back with him so he could have them reattached.

I doubt it's true but makes a good story.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Should we be supporting the vengeful?

Thank you - I thought it was just me thinking this was wrong

I like the way people jump onto the slagging of all religion band-wagon, but when a truly disgusting aspect of a religion that should be condemned is highlighted, most people start saying it's great and we should have the same here - go figure

We can either evolve as a society or regress to mediaeval behaviour :angry:

HOLA4416

I heard a story years ago of a German guy in Saudi who'd been caught skimming from his employer. Because he was a foreign national they didn't whack his hands off in the public square; they put him in hospital, surgically amputated them then packed them in ice and sent them back with him so he could have them reattached.

I doubt it's true but makes a good story.

well, at least a semi reasonably interesting story.

and im being very generous...

HOLA4417

I like the way people jump onto the slagging of all religion band-wagon, but when a truly disgusting aspect of a religion that should be condemned is highlighted, most people start saying it's great and we should have the same here - go figure

Don't know how anybody could support this.

What about mis-carriages of justice?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I would imagine most doctors in Saudi (a large proportion are foreign nationals) would simply refuse to carry out such an operation.

"First, cause no harm."

I assume they've taken the Hippocratic oath???

HOLA4420

I agree. It only goes to show how strange many of the people on this forum really are.

Archived