House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Wales Facing A Perfect Storm

there is a deep-rooted sense of pessimism that much of the hard work of the last decade is at risk of unravelling.

That's one way of looking at being a huge drain on resources and spending beyond your means.

Wales was hardly prospering during the bubble years - all that money sloshing about and we were celebrating the arrival of new call centres. I'm getting a nasty feeling that we're reverting back to the 80s. Not a happy time.

PS. The writer of the article just doesn't get it. But nor do most of the powerful who could drive change in this part of the world. It's depressing. They're happy with their labour / plaid shilly shallying.

Edited by gruffydd

Wales was hardly prospering during the bubble years - all that money sloshing about and we were celebrating the arrival of new call centres. I'm getting a nasty feeling that we're reverting back to the 80s. Not a happy time.

PS. The writer of the article just doesn't get it. But nor do most of the powerful who could drive change in this part of the world. It's depressing. They're happy with their labour / plaid shilly shallying.

+1

Taffia will still be bringing in vast sums.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

That's one way of looking at being a huge drain on resources and spending beyond your means.

Wales is a mini Ireland, receiving loads of subsidies and having implanted industry which would otherwise go somewhere else. It will unravel and unemployment there will be quite bad in 18 months or so.

oh dear oh dear oh dear

I remember someone buying several BTL in Wales as she had one several yrs ago which apperciated in value & thought it would be good inevstment for future that was in 2008 at property peak (tried to talk her out of it) don't know if she did or not? this article just reminded me of her.

Wales is a mini Ireland, receiving loads of subsidies and having implanted industry which would otherwise go somewhere else. It will unravel and unemployment there will be quite bad in 18 months or so.

it could well be sooner by the looks of it but agree its turning to another mini Ireland.

Eire spent EU Objective One Money on roads, infrastructure and high tech factories.

Wales made it nigh on impossible for SMEs to get any OB1 cash - re red tape - that most simply gave up. In the end most of the OB1 money ended up being spent on choirs - yes, choirs - and the Welsh language. Taffia did very well so I heard on the grapevine.

In the end the Assembly ended giving up many tens of millions back to Europe as they ran out of things to spend it on... I mean, you get given 'free' money and you are so idiotic you have to give it back!?

Yes, Wales is going to be badly hit and, IMPO, it will be worse than the 1980s... if such a thing is possible.

They're too busy getting themselves on £50,000 a year committees that sit four days a year, to top up their pensions for when they retire at 50! Thats where the money is all going!

Can't wait to see the Whistleblower scandals come out re Welsh assembly members helping themselves!

Remember the mayor and police chief in the USA on a million a year with 10 million+ pensions that needed funding, they also got free healthcare for their families paid for life from local taxes.

Very sad. Wales should have developed and built on its metal industry. Once you have the mass capital the easy part should be keeping it..as the barriers to entry are so extreme.

Compare it to areas of Germany like where BASF is with the chemical complexes. Over the decades they have kept advancing their technology and gone to the superscale size in plants.. that no one even in the developing world can compete with.

The main cost in the super capital game is the cost of capital. And there we have low interest rates relative to the developing world.

Instead Wales tried for idiotic ideas that were trendy. And forgot where the real wealth comes from. --The mega scale power plants, feeding into world scale steel smelters, into world class port facilities. Its not trendy, its not environmentally friendly, its not cottage industry. But its the type of industry that pays big salaries, with full benefits, full pensions, and oh ya throws off great tax revenues too.

Very sad. Wales should have developed and built on its metal industry. Once you have the mass capital the easy part should be keeping it..as the barriers to entry are so extreme.

Compare it to areas of Germany like where BASF is with the chemical complexes. Over the decades they have kept advancing their technology and gone to the superscale size in plants.. that no one even in the developing world can compete with.

The main cost in the super capital game is the cost of capital. And there we have low interest rates relative to the developing world.

Instead Wales tried for idiotic ideas that were trendy. And forgot where the real wealth comes from. --The mega scale power plants, feeding into world scale steel smelters, into world class port facilities. Its not trendy, its not environmentally friendly, its not cottage industry. But its the type of industry that pays big salaries, with full benefits, full pensions, and oh ya throws off great tax revenues too.

live now pay later

Welsh capital and Welsh industrywere always under control from outside Wales.

Eire spent EU Objective One Money on roads, infrastructure and high tech factories.

Wales made it nigh on impossible for SMEs to get any OB1 cash - re red tape - that most simply gave up. In the end most of the OB1 money ended up being spent on choirs - yes, choirs - and the Welsh language. Taffia did very well so I heard on the grapevine.

In the end the Assembly ended giving up many tens of millions back to Europe as they ran out of things to spend it on... I mean, you get given 'free' money and you are so idiotic you have to give it back!?

Yes, Wales is going to be badly hit and, IMPO, it will be worse than the 1980s... if such a thing is possible.

Usually it's match funding or similar. So you have to spend £2m to get £2m, or £3m to get £1m. So you need the money in the first place and it comes with big strings.

Say you want to build a school. You can do it on the cheap for £2m, do a great one for £3m or do it with the consultants, eco-friendly features and all, for £4m.

Only the £4m option gets you the OB1 funding, say £1.5m, so you then have to decide between £2m on the cheap, £3m without the eco hassle and inevitable over-runs, or £2.5m with the eco hassle.

These days the £2m on the cheap probably wins.

Wales is a great place with many things going for it. The people are pretty genuine, warm and friendly. It is a stunningly beautiful place in parts. It could be as popular as the south west.

But the sense of victimhood coupled with lack of get and go of many living there really holds them back. They seem permanently depressed as a nation. The language which to my mind mind adds genuine richness to their culture also often becomes a real glass ceiling to those who don't speak it but are more able in other ways or another bureaucratic tool of control.

We even have it in my company. The welsh office is the source of practically all of the complaints about my team. There's never any thank yous when we do stuff for them only a deep sense of entitlement and feeling left out in the cold. They then hardly ever use the resulting materials they demand because they don't have time.

Perhaps they are still nursing past grievances but for goodness sake I did not actually conquer them, beat them for speaking the language, rape their favourite pet etc.

Edited by greencat

Being Welsh I see the problem as the population not taking control of the own destiny by staying in these old coal mining and industrial areas. They should not forget that most of these regions in Wales were still untouched wilderness not 250 years ago until coal was found.

If any area is not supportive of a decent standard of living in a rich country then it's time to move on folks, just like your great grandparents did all those years ago.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

I tend to agree with the comments about pessimism in Wales. I have done a fair amount of business in Wales, and the firms in the area are perfectly capable and competitive - they just seem to lack confidence in themselves and are too ready to talk things down.  

My simple gut feeling would say hire some good and yes expensive sales and marketing guys and they will bring in the business. It is just a lack of confidence that is the problem. I also deal with US firms (partners), especially from California and their sales guys are like rays of Californian sunshine - the US accent helps in UK meetings, as a British one often does in the US, but most of it is simply attitude.

Child poverty? UK?

"Dear Guardian. Come back when children in the UK are on the streets looking like this poor kid."

Particulatly shite article, even from the Guardian. Note the comment:Because, after all, we all know that .

"and without the UK government even having a democratic mandate to govern Wales (given the failure to deliver a single Welsh Conservative MP)."

Apart from Guto Bebb,, Alun Cairnes, Glyn Davies, Jonathan Evans, Simon Hart, David Jones, Stephen Crabb and David Davies, you mean?