House Price Crash Forum

Uk Pr Industry Appears To Be In State Of Collapse

HOLA441

http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1022888/PR-agencies-rocked-Governments-public-sector-spending-crackdown/ is doing the PR agency rounds this afternoon.

Just backs up anecdotals - a bloodbath if ever I saw one! PR employs over 50,000 people in the UK - and many of them are high earners. Not a good place to be. Advertising got hit first, now it's the turn of PR...

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442

http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1022888/PR-agencies-rocked-Governments-public-sector-spending-crackdown/ is doing the PR agency rounds this afternoon.

Just backs up anecdotals - a bloodbath if ever I saw one! PR employs over 50,000 people in the UK - and many of them are high earners. Not a good place to be. Advertising got hit first, now it's the turn of PR...

Yes, many of them are 50K plus if not a lot more. Seems that every public sector body I know hires loads of them both on staff and via consultancies.

HOLA443

Who cares what happens to a few psychopaths working in PR.

HOLA444

Do you have any juicy anecdotals to share?

HOLA445
The word "consultancy" is almost a form of abuse in some people's vocabulary.'

:lol: That sound you hear is a gravy train leaving the tracks.

It was my misfortune to have to deal with PR and advertising 'consultants' and most were airheads of the first order.

I recall one guy working on an account for a company selling reinforced concrete construction- he wanted an animation showing their logo made of concrete exploding dramaticly into clouds of dust!

I gently pointed out that perhaps this image might not be the ideal iconography for an outfit selling itself as a construction company. :unsure:

HOLA446

I wont shed a tear . They are parasites on every working person , they are so full of themselves always trying to convince us that they actually produce !!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The airwaves have been remarkably clear of the patronising bullshite adverts that filled them 24 hours a day pre-election. Love big brover becuase he is warning you about every disease, trip and tumble, eat this, don't eat that, claim this etc etc nearly all gone. Truly excellent that such and abject waste of money has come to an end.

HOLA4410

http://www.prweek.co...ding-crackdown/ is doing the PR agency rounds this afternoon.

Can't we pack them off in the Golgafrincham "B" Ark (or was it the "C" ark?)? :P

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The airwaves have been remarkably clear of the patronising bullshite adverts that filled them 24 hours a day pre-election. Love big brover becuase he is warning you about every disease, trip and tumble, eat this, don't eat that, claim this etc etc nearly all gone. Truly excellent that such and abject waste of money has come to an end.

I was just thinking that the other day, all those annoying ads that proliferated pre-election - strokes, diabetes, swine flu warnings - have disappeared..

HOLA4415

I was just thinking that the other day, all those annoying ads that proliferated pre-election - strokes, diabetes, swine flu warnings - have disappeared..

...some of these people must have had contacts with Nuliebour ....wonder if their SWOT analysis covered a change of Government... :unsure:

HOLA4416

Do you have any juicy anecdotals to share?

Just boring old tales of shock sackings, agencies disappearing beneath the waves, etc. Funniest stories are about ex Labour party aides being unable to find work - many are demanding more than £75,000 to work for agencies - they seem not to understand that the PR industry is in meltdown. As a result, most are still jobless, though a few have landed good roles in the charity sector.

It's about time the agencies received a reality check - no more 1,000 per day fees for feck all. Thank goodness for that.

One industry that's even worse on the fees front, in my experience, is " training" - I know consultants who were earning £5,000 a day to go and train personnel in government departments in things like people skills and emotional intelligence. What was that all about then?

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Just boring old tales of shock sackings, agencies disappearing beneath the waves, etc. Funniest stories are about ex Labour party aides being unable to find work - many are demanding more than £75,000 to work for agencies - they seem not to understand that the PR industry is in meltdown. As a result, most are still jobless, though a few have landed good roles in the charity sector.

It's about time the agencies received a reality check - no more 1,000 per day fees for feck all. Thank goodness for that.

One industry that's even worse on the fees front, in my experience, is " training" - I know consultants who were earning £5,000 a day to go and train personnel in government departments in things like people skills and emotional intelligence. What was that all about then?

+1 with so called "trainers". One I know who is great to listen to once lubricated as it were. Priceless BS. most of us are just left speechless by the neck of this muppet.

HOLA4419

As I saw it the main purpose of many of these 'consultants' was to flatter the ego's of the top brass- much the same way that the courtiers of royalty did in the past. Many meetings and much powerpoint presenting would go on, from which would emerge some semi coherent 'strategy' that would somehow have to translated into reality- a place these people seldom visited.

The best one ever was a national campaign that included tv ads, posters, mail outs ect- the central motif of which was based on a piece of street sculpture that just happened to be visible from the marketing director's office window. In that case the muse did not have far to travel. :lol:

HOLA4420

As I saw it the main purpose of many of these 'consultants' was to flatter the ego's of the top brass- much the same way that the courtiers of royalty did in the past. Many meetings and much powerpoint presenting would go on, from which would emerge some semi coherent 'strategy' that would somehow have to translated into reality- a place these people seldom visited.

The best one ever was a national campaign that included tv ads, posters, mail outs ect- the central motif of which was based on a piece of street sculpture that just happened to be visible from the marketing director's office window. In that case the muse did not have far to travel. :lol:

...wonder if those people voting Labour were aware they were voting for this public sector waste....?.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4421

the advertising world has already been hit badly - PR's turn now.

funnily enough advertising cutbacks have meant more money to me. Where before the big agencies would you use big post houses for their video post production needs they are increasingly bringing it in house with hired computers and hired hands (me ) ! hey hey