House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Wealthy Chinese Buyers Home In On Japan

Is it happening here?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2490b34c-abaa-11df-9f02-00144feabdc0.html

This is something I started a thread about in recent weeks... the new rich in China and Asia begin buying in the UK...

Oddly enough, I overheard a smart Chinese couple asking an EA in Swansea today "Why are house prices so expensive in Swansea?".

The husband went on to ask "Why do house prices cost half a million pounds in a place like Sketty?" (It is a suburb in Swansea West.).

His words, not mine.

Is it happening here?

http://www.ft.com/cm...144feabdc0.html

This is something I started a thread about in recent weeks... the new rich in China and Asia begin buying in the UK...

Oddly enough, I overheard a smart Chinese couple asking an EA in Swansea today "Why are house prices so expensive in Swansea?".

The husband went on to ask "Why do house prices cost half a million pounds in a place like Sketty?" (It is a suburb in Swansea West.).

His words, not mine.

Yes but a couple of Chinese 'property developers' in Swansea and Chitose (which are both slightly remote but significant cities) can hardly be described as an influx really, can it?

But the property bubble in China is even bigger despite the fact the government still don't give you property rights just a long lease like 70 or 90 years. That's why they aren't buying in China instead ;)

When I visited China, you have to be quite wealthy to buy there speaking to what people earned, and therefore you have to be extremely wealthy to buy here. You could buy a bottle drink for 10p or less. That same drink would be 70p here.

Hokkaido is a large Island, fairly flat apart from volcanos, and generally pretty nice.(went there on honeymoon) Local economy is dire, land is very cheap, not many people. I guess for the Chinese it's an ego thing.."I own a house in Japan" is quite a big deal.

It's possible that we could see the same thing here for a while.

It's amusing to see people projecting their own bubble mentality onto other countries, saw it in Japan in the early 90's with Americans buying flats for 50 million which are now worth not much more than 10.

Yes but a couple of Chinese 'property developers' in Swansea and Chitose (which are both slightly remote but significant cities) can hardly be described as an influx really, can it?

I could be wrong, they may have been from Bargoed :blink: