House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Constable

Musselburgh 3:40

I was watching the racing this afternoon and noticed that the 3:40 at Musselburgh was sponsored by East Lothian Council.

Why the hell is a local council using public money to sponsor a horse race?!

Prize money totalled £9,847, most of which would have been put up by the council.

I'm sure the council officials all enjoyed a jolly good day out with nice hospitality... they probably didn't even have to count it as leave.

Result.

Edited by Constable

I was watching the racing this afternoon and noticed that the 3:40 at Musselburgh was sponsored by East Lothian Council.

Prize money totalled £9,847, most of which would have been put up by the council.

I'm sure the council officials all enjoyed a jolly good day out with nice hospitality... they probably didn't even have to count it as leave.

Result.

The council actually own the course!

http://www.musselburgh-racecourse.co.uk/history-of-racecourse.asp

You couldn't make it up!

"Going into the 1990’s the Racecourse was still losing money and the future looked desperate. In 1991 a new dawn arrived at Musselburgh when East Lothian Council took the running of the Racecourse back under their umbrella. John Lindsay, who is currently Chief Executive of East Lothian Council, was then Head of Finance and was tasked to bring the Racecourse to a break-even position in one year, which remarkably was achieved, and so once again the Racecourse had a future".

Gordon would be proud.

Quite a few councils own a local theatre or, of course, leisure facilities. I guess a racecourse is a somewhat different local amenity but the link below suggests that the Council acquired it to stop it disappearing due to financial pressures. Apparently they successfully turned it round and it's gone from strength to strength.

Haven't looked up the council minutes, but maybe it was regarded as key to the local economy?

Quite a few councils own a local theatre or, of course, leisure facilities. I guess a racecourse is a somewhat different local amenity but the link below suggests that the Council acquired it to stop it disappearing due to financial pressures. Apparently they successfully turned it round and it's gone from strength to strength.

Haven't looked up the council minutes, but maybe it was regarded as key to the local economy?

It's called nationalisation.

It's called nationalisation.

I'm no left-winger, but saving a one-of-a-kind local community asset may not always be such a bad thing. Municipal baths, theatres, pools ... these things have their place. A racecourse is pushing it, but then I dont' know how prosperous or otherwise the area is, and how many visitors it brings into the area.

I'm no left-winger, but saving a one-of-a-kind local community asset may not always be such a bad thing. Municipal baths, theatres, pools ... these things have their place. A racecourse is pushing it, but then I dont' know how prosperous or otherwise the area is, and how many visitors it brings into the area.

You have a point. I suppose it's better than spending it on lesbian outreach workers.

Result.

My parents live in/near Musselburgh and have had a run in with the council re: a housing development next to their hoose....

They suspected foul play when the total number of houses built on the plot significantly exceeded the number originally given planning permission.....and were built really too close together...

Their objections were not taken seriously by the council during the planning meetings (my father and neighbor lodged official objection and pointed out that the builders had sneaked in several extra houses)....It .was no real surprise when during one of these such race meetings at musselburgh a few weeks later, the planners/builders and council officials were spotted enjoying the free hospitality tents together!!!....corrupt.... perhaps??....

Another issue seemed to be that a number of local builders seemed to sell these houses to each other..I think some still live there...(i.e. wall to wall black range rovers)

nice place though....

Their objections were not taken seriously by the council during the planning meetings (my father and neighbor lodged official objection and pointed out that the builders had sneaked in several extra houses)....It .was no real surprise when during one of these such race meetings at musselburgh a few weeks later, the planners/builders and council officials were spotted enjoying the free hospitality tents together!!!....corrupt.... perhaps??.....

You had to say "perhaps?" ?! :rolleyes:

Council and builders are always in each other's back pockets.

If you think it is bad in the UK, come to Australia.

My parents live in/near Musselburgh and have had a run in with the council re: a housing development next to their hoose....

They suspected foul play when the total number of houses built on the plot significantly exceeded the number originally given planning permission.....and were built really too close together...

snip

Thats nothing, you scottish pansies, here in England, the land of the tough and prudent, many of our new houses are not only joined TOGETHER, but they stack them on top too....

Here in West Wales, one of the local councils invested a million or so in a local holiday park, which then went into prepack administration - the cash investment was converted into shares (no you couldn't make it up!) and is still supporting the park:

http://www.bluestonewales.com/

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/4790643.Council_s_Bluestone_deal_questioned/

Edited by gruffydd