House Price Crash Forum

Supplements That Give You More Energy?

Johnny Storm

HOLA441

Has anyone actually bought something that they thought actually had an effect? A some of you know, I am working flat out this year to enable me to buy somewhere to live next year. All this hard work is knackering!

A few weeks back I bought some Co-enzyme Q10 from Holland and Barrett and I can say they do absolutely nothing!

Anyone got any recommendations?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Well , I got the 100mg variety, £18 I think!! They saw me coming :(

I've no idea of the relative merits of different suppliers so can't advise.

When I read up on it before trying it out part of the background was that people get most of their Q10 from eating meat and I eat very little meat, which is probably why I noticed an effect as I would have been a bit short. If you are a regular steak and chips eater it probably doesn't have that much effect.

A speciifc I notice is that I have more energy, when walking I am frequently tempted to break into a run which is not a good idea in walking boots so I suppress it.

HOLA445

When I read up on it before trying it out part of the background was that people get most of their Q10 from eating meat and I eat very little meat, which is probably why I noticed an effect as I would have been a bit short. If you are a regular steak and chips eater it probably doesn't have that much effect.

I eat very little meat too, so cant be that.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I have been taking "sea kelp" for the past 6 months and have noticed a huge difference. I feel heaps better, more alert, and my usual brain fog has completely gone. I no longer get after lunch tiredness.

A years supply cost me around £8, and no unwanted side-effects.

HOLA449

I have been taking "sea kelp" for the past 6 months and have noticed a huge difference. I feel heaps better, more alert, and my usual brain fog has completely gone. I no longer get after lunch tiredness.

A years supply cost me around £8, and no unwanted side-effects.

Thats something Ive not tried. When I say I want more energy too, I mean being able to run my brain on overdrive all day, rather than running a marathon.

How long were you taking the kelp before you noticed the difference?

HOLA4410

An 8 ounce glass of water with a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinigar in it sipped through a straw every day.

Flaxseed - just put a couple of spoons of the flaxseed in a yogurt and eat every day. Its cheap, no real taste to it,saves you from taking supplements and has numerous benefits.

It is is a well known source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids including Lignan, Mucilage, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and zinc. All of these vitamins and minerals help to keep you functioning well both physically and mentally.

Flax seed also provides you with a high amount of Thiamin known as Vitamin B1. If you don't get enough of it you way become extremely tired, irritable, constipated, and your liver can be enlarged.

Eat bananas.

HOLA4411

I started taking 2 sea kelps every morning. Within a couple of weeks I noticed the difference. This has also coincided with stressful times for me, ie. starting a new job and a sick family member.

As a nurse, I am usually very sceptical about alternative medicine, but I really noticed the difference in my brain function very quickly.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

High iodine in sea kelp impacts thyroid hormone function and Triiodothyronine production, which relates to metabolism, body temperature, and heart rate.

I know some people who do well on it, some who don't. Not sure it will improve brain function unless you're deficient. But you maybe, depending on your diet.

It's a pretty good thermogenic and I use it when struggling with my diet ~ as I'm natural and ioc tested, which limits what I can use. Although they do make me feel nauseous.

If you know you've thyroid problems avoid. really.

But otherwise there is no issue with taking more than the recommended daily, btw, in fact i'd recommend taking more than the recommended daily, lots more.

But, how is your sleep. If it's not good deep sleep, improving sleep is probably the first place you should look to improve brain function, and I'd recommend Zinc.

HOLA4416

Has anyone actually bought something that they thought actually had an effect? A some of you know, I am working flat out this year to enable me to buy somewhere to live next year. All this hard work is knackering!

A few weeks back I bought some Co-enzyme Q10 from Holland and Barrett and I can say they do absolutely nothing!

To be honest, while healthy eating and a few well chosen supplements can of course boost your energy levels nothing destroys your energy levels like stress and overwork.

So, if you're perhaps overworking, I'd look at that first - as if you're thrashing yourself you will get more and more tired and start picking up physical ailments - digestion problems, aching muscles and joints.

I've frequently noticed that the happy carefree fatty with their daily fry-ups often have more oomph than the stressed-out health freak.

That said, if you do want some 'oomph supplements' - Vitamin C, quality B-complex, Maca powder and fresh ginger are the ones than can give you a real, noticeable lift.

HOLA4417

But, how is your sleep. If it's not good deep sleep, improving sleep is probably the first place you should look to improve brain function, and I'd recommend Zinc.

My sleep was better when I wasnt working all the time. I have taken zinc before, but not realised it has sleep related properties.

Melatonin is one that Im not sure if it works either. hmmmm

I wonder if all these things just work by suggestion and actually work via the placebo effect?

That said, if you do want some 'oomph supplements' - Vitamin C, quality B-complex, Maca powder and fresh ginger are the ones than can give you a real, noticeable lift.

Ive been taking Busy B, Vit b with C time release as a preventative for catching colds. I never noticed any energy effect. Though it does help against colds.

HOLA4418

My sleep was better when I wasnt working all the time. I have taken zinc before, but not realised it has sleep related properties.

I wonder if all these things just work by suggestion and actually work via the placebo effect?

Ive been taking Busy B, Vit b with C time release as a preventative for catching colds. I never noticed any energy effect. Though it does help against colds.

Yes, I generally don't pop magic vitamins willynilly but I am a fan of vitamin C. I will take 1g of C every hour on the rare occasion I get hit with a proper virus and I'm sure it massively reduces the severity. But you have to megadose for that effect - a bit here and there while no doubt better than nothing probably won't have a huge effect.

C can help with general energy as it's such an major supplier to the immune system and our immune system suffers not just when we're obviously ill but daily. I was sick with a cold/flu virus recently for the first time in two and a half years and, as always, it coincided with a week of high stress. 'It's not the germ, it's the terrain' as Pastuer admitted on his deathbed.

HOLA4419

Tried lots of supplements - most of them only make a marginal difference if any, and then stop working. Depends what you mean by energy, is it mental - like concentration or physical - maybe creatine with some protein, with some weight training.

As for mental - always fancied trying Modafinil

HOLA4420

Zinc supports the pineal gland, amongst other things, so does help Melatonin production.

Supplementation may be more important when stressed because of the it role plays in preventing the testosterone/oestrogen conversion.

I wouldn't recommend taking Melatonin directly though, I know guys that have screwed their sleep patterns up by taking Melatonin.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I remember when I was zinc and magnesium deficient. It was horrible. Body aching all over due to lack of sleep and brain fog. Took the aforementioned supplements, zinc as gluconate and magnesium as citrate and got 100% better in no time!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Alchohol intake is probably the first thing to look at.

Being teetotal seems to benifit most people until they get to retirement age, and although a nice glass of wine can be a short term crutch to help unwind after a stressfull day, too much on a regular basis is going to give anybody brain fog and lethargy.

After retirement, it seems to be the "glass of red with dinner and a nightcap" crowd who have the most energy.

HOLA4425

Archived