House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruffneck

Ebay - What Is The Point Now?

Is there any regular sellers left on ebay or is it just hucksters selling cheap chinese crap?

bought this thing item was listed as location : brisbane , australia ; seller replied as shipped 10/8

checked their profile it states location : United States , item still has not arrived by 10pm 19/8

yet read this negative comment in the users information : SELLER LIED ABOUT ITEM LOCATION SAID IT WAS IN QLD BUT POSTED FROM HONG KONG!!!! Buyer:

Member id arproductions ( Feedback Score Of 47Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)

Aug-14-10 07:23 Feedback conversation

USB External Portable 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive FDD New (#380249018222)

The user appears to be in at least 3 places at once , what is a better site with less business sellers and a wider variety of higher quality merchandise?

ebays rubbish at the moment. always is during the summer holiday. oh, and when everyone is SKINT....

boom years. gone now. gone away. all gone, bye bye.

:)

ebays rubbish at the moment. always is during the summer holiday. oh, and when everyone is SKINT....

boom years. gone now. gone away. all gone, bye bye.

....everyone being skint means you can pick up some brilliant bargains with pick up only if you have an available van....only recently bought an antique bureau less than £8 a solid hard wood piece of furniture £1.67 a beautiful welsh dresser amongst other items....there are still many good buys to be had. ;)

....everyone being skint means you can pick up some brilliant bargains with pick up only if you have an available van....only recently bought an antique bureau less than £8 a solid hard wood piece of furniture £1.67 a beautiful welsh dresser amongst other items....there are still many good buys to be had. ;)

but i just got a brand new antique bureau for only £6 at comet. and they delivered and took my newer bureau away free of charge.!!

but i just got a brand new antique bureau for only £6 at comet. and they delivered and took my newer bureau away free of charge.!!

:lol:

As stated above, local pickup listing is where to look if can pick up the stuff. I got a tube guitar amp for a third of the new price because it just didn't get the bids. I had to drive 3 hours to get it, but small price to pay.

Furniture goes for next to nothing on ebay - it's practically Freecycle - and there's some great stuff.

I bet they put your old newer bureau on eBay.

ebay is a victim of its own success, virtually every listing is a scam. I'd be very cautious buying anything from there these days. Plus if you actually decide to sell anything you get hammered on fees.

I must admit, I used to use Ebay a lot. Now I hardly even look on it, except for little cheap items like a usb / phone cable.

I think it went from a fun place, to an evil money grabbing place. I really wish google would start their own version.

Buying of 'tinternet is great if the stuff is small otherwise it's still great, right up to the point where you need to get the stuff delievered. So unless you're a benefit-scrounger-ebayer-on-the-side-always-at-homer you'll always have trouble. You'll have to take the day off work, wait in all day, disturb your weirdo neighbour, cope with lost deliveries. It's not worth it people. Go and live your lives.

We sell, under a thinly-veiled anonymity, as a legitmate retailer on ebay (and you'd get far better value there than from any of our bricks and mortar or official online presence) and I also buy a lot of stuff off there privately and often get incredible value.

I simply don't recognise the frequent moans about it on here. Incidentally, as far as businesses offering buy it nows I'd say hardly any are scams - there's a lot of scam buyers though.

I also don't understand this chinese tat thing either. What in non-food, other than high-end niche, do you think is not made in China or the Far East?

Buying of 'tinternet is great if the stuff is small otherwise it's still great, right up to the point where you need to get the stuff delievered. So unless you're a benefit-scrounger-ebayer-on-the-side-always-at-homer you'll always have trouble. You'll have to take the day off work, wait in all day, disturb your weirdo neighbour, cope with lost deliveries. It's not worth it people. Go and live your lives.

I think going forward a lot less people will be 'out at work' during the day.

A lot of our ebay stuff seems to be small business owners buying things, by the addresses, or people are having it sent to work.

A lot of our ebay stuff seems to be small business owners buying things, by the addresses, or people are having it sent to work.

A guy at work had all his purchases sent to work, we all had a laugh when the packets arrived, what will it be next? we made him open them in front of us....the last I recall was a set of tyres for his car, once it was a dozen sandbags. ;)

I must admit, I used to use Ebay a lot. Now I hardly even look on it, except for little cheap items like a usb / phone cable.

I think it went from a fun place, to an evil money grabbing place. I really wish google would start their own version.

I think this is the problem with low costs of entry to any market. Everyone ends up selling tat for buggar all money. My cousin made a living for a while selling "fashion" clutch bags, but can now barely compete with those that buy from China in bulk.

How does the tax situation work on this, say for the stay at home mums who go to jumble sales then flog it on ebay? Is there a limit where you are classified as non-private but trade and does ebay flag it up if you go over it? Or is it, as I suspect, all done on trust?

How does the tax situation work on this, say for the stay at home mums who go to jumble sales then flog it on ebay? Is there a limit where you are classified as non-private but trade and does ebay flag it up if you go over it? Or is it, as I suspect, all done on trust?

No tax to pay if you keep quiet. Just like capital gains.

No tax to pay if you keep quiet. Just like capital gains.

Roger.

So nothings flagged? Surely it would be easy to do.

I think this is the problem with low costs of entry to any market. Everyone ends up selling tat for buggar all money. My cousin made a living for a while selling "fashion" clutch bags, but can now barely compete with those that buy from China in bulk.

It would be impossible to buy any regular stock from a supplier or wholesaler that any other small business could access and sell it on ebay at a profit.

For me, the store chain generates endless disposal stock that ebay is a lucrative channel to move it through. An example would be a product on a blistercard with incorrect wording. You can ditch the blistercard but we wouldn't want to sell loose product instore but, that's not an issue on ebay. I'II even consider taking clearance deals from manufacturers solely to put on ebay these days. On top of this there's the constant supply of all the goods returned by customers there's nothing wrong with.

Quite often other ebay sellers reduce their prices to undercut us without realising they can't do so profitably - I think a lot are just too thick to be able to work out how much money they're making.

There was a big ebay packaging seller that went bust . One of my packaging suppliers supplied them and I had a look at their listings when they first mentioned they were one of their fastest growing customers. The prices they were offering, to get the business on ebay, were unviably low.

If you're an experienced stock buyer with the right contacts you could definitely make money on ebay but it would be misleading to suggest it would be a walk in the park for any man on the street.

Not sure, I think these are genuine small businesses not part-time ebay sellers.

Roger.

So nothings flagged? Surely it would be easy to do.

Lots of things are easy if you put your mind to it and are intelligent, the people in charge are not.

Also Paypal dont want to lose their commission by people not using them because its not worth it after the tax.

Bloke sold me a sink on eBay. Brand new but unwanted. £95 plus delivery.

It turns up and DHL have broken it. I signed the delivery note as 'unchecked'.

Turns out the sink is cracked, and apparently is my fault for not collecting it. It's not the sellers fault for packaging it badly, nor DHL's fault for dropping it.

DHL reckon that writing 'unchecked' means I'd accepted it as being in good condition.

Not happy.

Bloke sold me a sink on eBay. Brand new but unwanted. £95 plus delivery.

It turns up and DHL have broken it. I signed the delivery note as 'unchecked'.

Turns out the sink is cracked, and apparently is my fault for not collecting it. It's not the sellers fault for packaging it badly, nor DHL's fault for dropping it.

DHL reckon that writing 'unchecked' means I'd accepted it as being in good condition.

Not happy.

Paypal claim?

Ebay isn't so bad, and very convenient for those little odds and ends.

You just have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I do waste some time each day perusing the site, looking for bargains.

Sold a few things recently too.