House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pete.hpc

New "doubleplus Good" A-Level Grade To Be Introduced

It's grade hyperinflation!

_48792127_a_level_grades_304.gif

Is it though? I don't remember the A-level coaching scene being very big in my day. Now there are adverts all over the place and I've even been approached by neighbours to see if I'd be interested in helping them out as the local tutors were booked-up! I don't think it is unrealistic to think that a minor novelty gadget called the internet might be a source of information as well. Far cry from the one-book-between-three days...maybe they should start marking to the curve, although the only problem with that is it makes it pretty useless for kids who aren't going to university.

Is it though? I don't remember the A-level coaching scene being very big in my day. Now there are adverts all over the place and I've even been approached by neighbours to see if I'd be interested in helping them out as the local tutors were booked-up! I don't think it is unrealistic to think that a minor novelty gadget called the internet might be a source of information as well. Far cry from the one-book-between-three days...maybe they should start marking to the curve, although the only problem with that is it makes it pretty useless for kids who aren't going to university.

Do you mean that an employer would rather see an A than a C, even if they represent the same level of achievement?

ISTM that anything that helps students to demonstrate their ability relative to their peers, has to be positive (except perhaps for the less-able, who benefit from a system that fails to differentiate).

Sorry if i'm missing something here, but if for whatever reasons more & more kids are getting A grades therefore making it more difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff for Uni or employers, why don't they just change the score at which you do get an A, B, etc....

Why do they now need a A * ?

It reminds me of Spinal Tap and their amps going up to " 11 ".

Do you mean that an employer would rather see an A than a C, even if they represent the same level of achievement?

ISTM that anything that helps students to demonstrate their ability relative to their peers, has to be positive (except perhaps for the less-able, who benefit from a system that fails to differentiate).

Marking to a curve is the technique used by, for example, the Indian civil service exams, its explicitly about competition and ranking (e.g. determine the best 20%). A-levels are not currently for this purpose, they reflect a given level of competence over a given curriculum. In this sense they are more like a driving test; we don't restrict driving licenses to the top 20% of candidates, we give them to anyone who meets a given standard. So in terms of employers, it depends what you want. If they wish to pursue the top X percent, then fine. If they want to know what a candidate is judged to know at a given level, then it isn't going to suit. In cultures where exams are marked to curves, you can expect a lot more competition with children typically attending schools in the evenings and weekends. It depends if you want that for your kids as well. And when you've done that, you still aren't going to differentiate massively, you'll have lots of kids with C grades and all it tells you is that they aren't in the top 30%.

It's grade hyperinflation!

_48792127_a_level_grades_304.gif

Something miraculous happened in 1980? What? :blink:

What all you "grade inflationists" fail to recognise is that competition for :

Singing;

Acting;

Football;

Tennis;

Golf;

Motor Racing;

Rugby;

Gymnastics;

- knows no international boundaries, and therefore it is perfectly acceptable to "mark to the curve" for these disciplines. Indeed, it is even appropriate to shame hopefuls who aren't up to scratch.

However, competition in knowledge and technical competence stops at the UK borders, because we can simply debase our currency to attract consumers no matter how out-of date, poorly conceived and engineered, the shoddy tat we produce is.

And if you believe that you really do need a foreign education! :lol:

Something miraculous happened in 1980? What? :blink:

probably the change from a manual manufacturing base to a service base, so people retrained.

before that university was a place for beardy long haired hippies.

like the guy who presented fingerbobs.

I saw a bit about the Uni Clearance stuff on BBC breakfast this morning.

Was about people struggling to get on courses.

They said this was DESPITE record grades for A levels.

I think they have got that the wrong way around. If lods more people are getting higher grades then the supply of 'applicable' Uni goers will increase.

It is basic logig or have I missed something.

Or is it just the BBC being tools.

I saw a bit about the Uni Clearance stuff on BBC breakfast this morning.

Was about people struggling to get on courses.

They said this was DESPITE record grades for A levels.

I think they have got that the wrong way around. If lods more people are getting higher grades then the supply of 'applicable' Uni goers will increase.

It is basic logig or have I missed something.

Or is it just the BBC being tools.

Because more are getting the required grades for their 1st choice there are fewer places available at clearing. There are a finite number of places at Uni and too many students who want to go. Quick ,don't miss the boat !!!!

Marking to a curve is the technique used by, for example, the Indian civil service exams, its explicitly about competition and ranking (e.g. determine the best 20%). A-levels are not currently for this purpose, they reflect a given level of competence over a given curriculum. In this sense they are more like a driving test; we don't restrict driving licenses to the top 20% of candidates, we give them to anyone who meets a given standard. So in terms of employers, it depends what you want. If they wish to pursue the top X percent, then fine. If they want to know what a candidate is judged to know at a given level, then it isn't going to suit. In cultures where exams are marked to curves, you can expect a lot more competition with children typically attending schools in the evenings and weekends. It depends if you want that for your kids as well. And when you've done that, you still aren't going to differentiate massively, you'll have lots of kids with C grades and all it tells you is that they aren't in the top 30%.

Doesn't seem all that sensible to teach everyone to drive to F1 standard, plus all the other vehicle licences when all they are going to do is potter about town in a hatchback.

Equally, it doesn't seem all that sensible to stop 80% of people getting enough skills to be pottering about town in a hatchback just to keep it exclusive.

Doesn't seem all that sensible to teach everyone to drive to F1 standard, plus all the other vehicle licences when all they are going to do is potter about town in a hatchback.

Equally, it doesn't seem all that sensible to stop 80% of people getting enough skills to be pottering about town in a hatchback just to keep it exclusive.

Tsk tsk you've internalized the system. Its quite possible to get an E in an A-level and say you've learned up to that level and you're quite happy with it. At least when I was at school it was quite possible to be entered for lower/subset GCSE papers where the highest you could get was a C or D. So in maths, say, its a bit of paper that suggests general numeracy, just don't just hire this person if you want long division doing as well. Unfortunately pointy-headed market fetishists introduced League Tables and this approach has gone out of the window. No chance of a C, bad idea to even enter the child for the exam.

Universal primary education - the stuff we have here ('problem' schools aside) and promote in the third world give everyone the basic skills. A top university equips the best and brightest for more demanding roles.

What bugs me is the waste of those formative years between 11 and 18, given to something that could be learned in a couple of weeks by bright kids with the primary-school basics to build on.