House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
#1 on West side

After The Fact Black Day?

Half a percent down? I wasted 30 seconds of my life opening this thread and writing this reply for a mere 0.5%. Wake me up when it's 5% down in the first 15mins....

don't use the word bl***

or it will pickup bysome phenominal amouont,

it always does going by hpc track record

100% guaranteed.

Edited by DisQ

This is getting a regular occurrence now. A few times the S&P has rallied after the FTSE has closed and London hasn't made up the gain next day.

It looks well out of steam and is one heavy volume selling day away from a 500 point collapse i reckon.

This is getting a regular occurrence now. A few times the S&P has rallied after the FTSE has closed and London hasn't made up the gain next day.

It looks well out of steam and is one heavy volume selling day away from a 500 point collapse i reckon.

What's more, Hong Kong has gained 300 points overnight. Dropped back 300 within the last hour. Heavy volume selling on the cards indeed.

What's more, Hong Kong has gained 300 points overnight. Dropped back 300 within the last hour. Heavy volume selling on the cards indeed.

It gained and lost one and a half percent then. Is that dramatic?

Won't be a black day today. Fed is pumping at around 3pm our time...I've already seen it in action (Aug 17th), DOW jumps about 150 points and FTSE about half that.

Taken from Zero Hedge:

"Last but not least, the Fed is back buying Treasuries. Yesterday's pop in equities was a nice resh reminder of what happens when the Fed pumps liquidity into the system. I added a chart of the 10Y US Treasury future because it is too funny to be ignored: the market rallies ahead of the Fed buying... and then dips, so the Fed not only injects liquidity in the system supporting a doomed market with your tax dollars, but it also splashes primary dealers in the process. The gift will keep on giving, as here is the list of the upcoming POMO operations:

August 19, 2010 August 20, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 8/15/2016 – 8/15/2020

August 24, 2010 August 25, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 2/15/2013 – 7/31/2014

August 26, 2010 August 27, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 2/15/2021 – 8/15/2040

August 30, 2010 August 31, 2010 Outright TIPS Purchase 1/15/2011 – 2/15/2040

September 1, 2010 September 2, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 2/15/2012 – 1/31/2013

September 7, 2010 September 8, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 8/15/2014 – 7/31/2016

September 9, 2010 September 10, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 2/15/2013 – 7/31/2014

September 13, 2010 September 14, 2010 Outright Treasury Coupon Purchase 8/15/2016 –

I am working on digging up the hourly price action for the 24H before and after the POMO days of 2009 in order to isolate the patterns for equities and Treasury futures and also try to measure the impact of the maturity being purchased on the curve. More to come on this when I have a chance to finish the study! Remember tomorrow is a POMO day so don't expect Treasuries to lose their bid, and then expect tomorrow to see today's gains washed away as dealers cash in. After all can you blame them: would you sell today if I told you a multi-billion buyer is guaranteed tomorrow? I didn't think so..."

Keep those shorts at bay today! (IMHO)

If it happens, it will be sudden, explosive and ugly.

Just like it was when the DOW dropped 1000pts in a few minutes a few months ago.

The fact is that a lot of the human aspect has been denuded from trading. I think that's why we had those huge gains and losses

from one day to the next during 2008/09 and to a lesser extent this year. Software has no sentimentality. If it's a sell then it's a sell.

I expect to see some trades not honoured as the 'big boys' rip-off the smaller investor.

If it happens, it won't be pretty.

If it happens, it will be sudden, explosive and ugly.

Just like it was when the DOW dropped 1000pts in a few minutes a few months ago.

The fact is that a lot of the human aspect has been denuded from trading. I think that's why we had those huge gains and losses

from one day to the next during 2008/09 and to a lesser extent this year. Software has no sentimentality. If it's a sell then it's a sell.

I expect to see some trades not honoured as the 'big boys' rip-off the smaller investor.

I agree.

Although according to KD, the flash crash was forced (and a lot of banksters apparently did very well it of it thank you very much).

http://market-ticker.org/archives/2592-Was-The-Flash-Crash-A-Forced-Error.html

It kind of reminds me of the last half an hour of a gripping thriller where the bad guys are uncovered to the higher authority. Bad guys get it in the neck and we all live happily ever after.

Back to the real world the highest authority is in on it too: No justice, no happy ending, lifetime of serfdom guaranteed.

Can you explain this a bit more to me please? How would this 'work'? How would the smaller investors be ripped-off?

Can you explain this a bit more to me please? How would this 'work'? How would the smaller investors be ripped-off?

I remember trying to trade some shares via Barclaystockbrokers.com during one morning of the banking crisis in October 2008.

Couldn't do it online and impossible by phone. System was overloaded. OK, my fault for not having a suitable trading platform

but I'm only a small investor. It was only for half an hour or so but during that 30 minutes I was denied access to the market.

I can foresee a scenario, if we do have a catastrophic plummet, whereby the 'pros' are able to offload and cut their losses whilst

the little guys are sat looking at their PC screens, in tears, observing their dwindling wealth and not been able to do anything about it.

I remember trying to trade some shares via Barclaystockbrokers.com during one morning of the banking crisis in October 2008.

Couldn't do it online and impossible by phone. System was overloaded. OK, my fault for not having a suitable trading platform

but I'm only a small investor. It was only for half an hour or so but during that 30 minutes I was denied access to the market.

I can foresee a scenario, if we do have a catastrophic plummet, whereby the 'pros' are able to offload and cut their losses whilst

the little guys are sat looking at their PC screens, in tears, observing their dwindling wealth and not been able to do anything about it.

Thanks.

Well, that is what happened in the dot.con crash.

Who would the pros being selling to in such a circumstance?

Offload to who?

Even happens on the best of platforms. I have been trading happily and without any incident on IGIndex. Then sometime in 4th quarter 2008 (yep, during the "mini crash"), I was denied trading for about 30 mins as well. Simply rejected the trades with "sorry, but the price is no longer valid" or did not respond at all. Had a good ending... I would have traded my short posotions too early and ended up making a few quid more...

Best thing to do is to put in limits and stops and keep on updating them...

I was wondering when a stupid short I placed a while back would kick in - FTSE just fell off a cliff!!

I expect the bounce to be in about 5 minutes...

I was wondering when a stupid short I placed a while back would kick in - FTSE just fell off a cliff!!

I expect the bounce to be in about 5 minutes...

Good lap dog following its master the Down down.

Dow down

Dow down

Dow down

Say it 3 times fast and then spin around... or something like that :D