House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Five Out Of Six New Prescription Drugs Don't Work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7950612/Five-out-of-six-new-prescription-drugs-dont-work-doctor-claims.html

Large firms hyped-up patented medicines, spent vast amounts on getting doctors to prescribe them and underplayed serious side effects, said Prof Donald Light, a sociologist and professor of comparative health policy at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey, US.

When the "toxic side effects" of prescription drugs were taken into account, and their misuse, he claimed they were "a signficant cause of death".

Medical mishap is in the third leading cause of death in the US yet still 'medical science' has utmost respect and people campaign for its various wares to be funded and brought to market ASAP.

The profit motive really has no place in drugs development. What if drugs research was funded on a 'blue sky' basis with no expectation of 'product'? Would even a fraction of toxic drugs ever come to market?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7950612/Five-out-of-six-new-prescription-drugs-dont-work-doctor-claims.html

Medical mishap is in the third leading cause of death in the US yet still 'medical science' has utmost respect and people campaign for their various wares to be funded and brought to market ASAP.

The profit motive really has no place in drugs development. What if drugs research was funded on a 'blue sky' basis with no expectation of 'product'? Would even a fraction of toxic drugs ever come to market?

I'm sure someone can point out a conspiracy theory somewhere where drugs companies manufacture diseases before selling us the cure.

In a sense they probably do this already with many psychological 'illnesses'. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

In fact it is probably the logical end state in a drug industry (like all industries) driven by profit and requiring constant market expansion.

I'm sure someone can point out a conspiracy theory somewhere where drugs companies manufacture diseases before selling us the cure.

In a sense they probably do this already with many psychological 'illnesses'. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

In fact it is probably the logical end state in a drug industry (like all industries) driven by profit and requiring constant market expansion.

Well, if you have an inquiring mind, you could take a gander at the swine flu 'pandemic' and the resulting stockpiles of vaccines.

I wouldn't go that far...

You can make enough profit by fabricating a media scare about swine flu and then getting governments to pay you to manufacture a billion vaccines against an armageddon that would never arrive.

No need to manufacture a killer disease when media hype is just as good and because nobody dies nobody gets sued...

I can name [edit] three prescription drugs, besides those I have encountered via relatives.

I can name maybe 10 recreational drugs.

I can name maybe 20 or so "natural" "remedies".

So, what's all this "hype" wrt prescription medicines, and what should I be doing to get subjected to it? Presumably a sociology doctorate?

I can name [edit] three prescription drugs, besides those I have encountered via relatives.

I can name maybe 10 recreational drugs.

I can name maybe 20 or so "natural" "remedies".

So, what's all this "hype" wrt prescription medicines, and what should I be doing to get subjected to it? Presumably a sociology doctorate?

To be fair, you could probably name a lot more if they were advertised on TV every 2 minutes as they are in the US.

To be fair, you could probably name a lot more if they were advertised on TV every 2 minutes as they are in the US.

Fair play.

However it doesn't detract from my statement re "natural" "remedies". How many more Sunday supplements must I be subjected to advertising copper bangles and wrist magnets? And why are these chrlatans allowed to advertise these things? Does the "pateint" understand them anymore than they understand prescription drugs? [ clue to last question : they are using them :D ]

Having watched The Victorian Pharmacy, it strikes me we are regressing as a culture. Back then, scientifically produced medicines gave such superior results, it was game over for the victorian quack. Now that our illnesses consist largely of self induced discomfort, we fight shy of anything that actually has a measurable effect and instead prefer stuff that merely "sounds right". I do despair.

They are great aren't they. There was one on recently where theres this guy relaxing having rowed out into a lake on a perfect sunny day,, majestic surroundings, blue sky etc. Booms the voice over "May cause temporary blindness, rectal bleeding, nausea, cramps...". Just made me laugh for some reason.

They are great aren't they. There was one on recently where theres this guy relaxing having rowed out into a lake on a perfect sunny day,, majestic surroundings, blue sky etc. Booms the voice over "May cause temporary blindness, rectal bleeding, nausea, cramps...". Just made me laugh for some reason.

Was it for Aneros? - didn't realise you can only get them on prescription.

Well, if you have an inquiring mind, you could take a gander at the swine flu 'pandemic' and the resulting stockpiles of vaccines.

Here in Quebec they were trying to sell their "stock piles" back to the manufacturer. Take up was less than 25%. The General Public were not browbeaten enough (despite full page ads in the dailys and massive tv bombardment).

Restless Leg Syndrome

Female Sexual Dysfunction

Mild Depression

Most cosmetic surgery (driven by the fashion industry, it has to be said)

Statins (no better than asprin for preventing heart attacks)

That's just off the top of my head. And never mind the ultra-cynical attempts to get very expensive cancer drugs of marginal benefit approved through media campaigns.

Fair play.

However it doesn't detract from my statement re "natural" "remedies". How many more Sunday supplements must I be subjected to advertising copper bangles and wrist magnets? And why are these chrlatans allowed to advertise these things? Does the "pateint" understand them anymore than they understand prescription drugs? [ clue to last question : they are using them :D ]

You can patent something without having to demonstrate that you have a working prototype (unless it's a perpetual motion type thing).

What I would like to see is a 'truth in advertising law', in which an advert would be shown to 100 randomly chosen people, and if those people said 'The advert claims that product X cures disease Y' then the manufacturer would have to provide proof of that claim. That would put a lot of lawyers out of business, though..

Having watched The Victorian Pharmacy, it strikes me we are regressing as a culture. Back then, scientifically produced medicines gave such superior results, it was game over for the victorian quack. Now that our illnesses consist largely of self induced discomfort, we fight shy of anything that actually has a measurable effect and instead prefer stuff that merely "sounds right". I do despair.

Dare I mention MMR?

(OF course, vaccination is a disaster for the Pharmaceutical companies, given that treating diseases is far more profitable than preventing them. Probably why the anti-vax wingnuts get so much airtime..)

Fair play.

A magnetic wrist band probably doesn't do anything but doesn't cause any serious side effects. Many drugs no not work yet do cause serious side effects. It's why homeopathy was so popular when 'scientific' medicine was sheer brutalism - a cure that was essentially nothing but placebo was a step forward.

A magnetic wrist band probably doesn't do anything but doesn't cause any serious side effects.

The iron in your blood will collect around the magnet, and interfere with you iPod.

The iron in your blood will collect around the magnet, and interfere with you iPod.

At which point I would have to mention that 'X Men 2' is not a documentary.