House Price Crash Forum
Kyoto

Bbc - What Do You Think Of The Coalition Government's First 100 Days?

Just read most of the comments here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/what_do_you_think_of_the_coali_1.html

Amazing how there's barely a single positive comment out of the 500 that are currently there.

After the shower of shite we had with the labour government, and the almost daily sensible and positive moves by the coalition government, how can they not be at least a little more balanced?

Do these people live in a dream world, expecting the party of the last 13 years to carry on. No wonder we are in the mess we are.

After reading that, the one mistake the government are making is not bringing cuts forward fast enough. They've positioned the public sector and the poor in a state of fear, and they're all just waiting with the axe hanging over them. More decisiveness needed.

Making me angry now...

When will people grow up and lose this blinkerered distrust of 'The Tories'?

And what is with all of the liberals complaining about Clegg on that thread?

Having been trounced in the election, he's playing a blinder on the liberal agenda - voting reform referendum, ID cards, ContactPoint, cameras...

Shocking!

I think you may have skimmed through it too quickly. It's obviously been swamped by Labour central HQ, but post no15:

"A decent start. Let's see what the November spending review brings.

And, let's face it, even if my judgement on them were much worse, how could anything be worse than Labour and Gordon Brown?"

No 24:

"It would be difficult to do worse than the previous bunch of clowns, who have left this country mired in debt, an unwinnable war in Afghanistan (leaving 331 of our children dead), 179 dead children in an illegal Iraq war, rampant and uncontrolled immigration, broken health service, bloated and useless Public Sector, farcical and bizarre H&S regulations that have made us an Ambulance-chasing parody of USA, unruly, disrespectful and alchol-abusing youths, combat-zone town centres filled with drunken and unruly monsters, highest illiteracy rates in Europe, highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe, most unemployable workforce in Europe, benefit-dependent layabouts, prisons full, country full, bankers living in opulence at the expense of the taxpayers, corrupt politicians milking the taxpayer for all they are worth, ASBOs treated as a badge of honour etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Could it really be any worse? From now on Things Can Only Get Better, as the Labour theme tune used to ring out. Oh how wrong could they have been!!!!!

First 100 days - awesome in comparison. Good luck to them, the Coalition have a mountain to climb."

Wow.

Edited by deflation

If I've learned one thing the hard way about the internet, it's to wholly disregard the opinions of others.

;)

Edited by Bring forth the guillotine

Making me angry now...

And what is with all of the liberals complaining about Clegg on that thread?

Having been trounced in the election, he's playing a blinder on the liberal agenda - voting reform referendum, ID cards, ContactPoint, cameras...

Shocking!

Very strange that the Liberal voters themselves do not like a Coalition, when it is they that want proportional representation, which by definition must lead to Coalitions!

Perhaps they are seeing first hand that a Coalition means you DO NOT GET ALL YOU YOU WANT OR VOTED FOR BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE A COMPROMISE. The largest party will inevitably have the upper hand. Perhaps Libs see themselves as much closer to Labour. Well, Labour failed and although the tories have failed in past times, Labour Govts of the UK have ALL failed. None of them left office with the economy doing better than when they started and that is a statistical fact - back to 1924. Overspending on social policy alone does not cure inequalities and profligate public spending is wasteful and unproductive.

Thi Coalition will soon lose its popularity when the cuts begin to bite. There will be a very difficult 2-3 years until the real green shoots can be seen - not like those caused as a 'Brown' mirage by borrowed and printed money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/what_do_you_think_of_the_coali_1.html

Amazing how there's barely a single positive comment out of the 500 that are currently there.

After the shower of shite we had with the labour government, and the almost daily sensible and positive moves by the coalition government, how can they not be at least a little more balanced?

Do these people live in a dream world, expecting the party of the last 13 years to carry on. No wonder we are in the mess we are.

After reading that, the one mistake the government are making is not bringing cuts forward fast enough. They've positioned the public sector and the poor in a state of fear, and they're all just waiting with the axe hanging over them. More decisiveness needed.

I'm reserving judgement until I see how they treat the banksters.

Still better than New Liebor but that's not hard.

A bit like being the next GP afer Shipman.

I'm reserving judgement until I see how they treat the banksters.

Yip, me too. But I'm on a slope of despair - can't think of a single party, or even politician, in favour of prosecutions. In the US even Angelo Mozillo looks to be off the hook. How?

Apparently people have quickly forgotten the complete insanity of the Brown government (which followed the complete ineptitude of the Blair years).

Lots of talk but no action. Housing benefit cap ... next April ...VAT increase ...next year ...public sector cuts .... next year or maybe later ...

And still some benefits thrown at people when they don't need it.......the fuel allowance for the elderly, regardless of their circumstances, being the most absurd.

Making me angry now...

Shocking!

Do you remember the eightees ?

Lots of talk but no action. Housing benefit cap ... next April ...VAT increase ...next year ...public sector cuts .... next year or maybe later ...

Exactly!! Im glad im not the only one to actually want them to do something! If you are going to cut, cut dont talk about it. Get on with it!! Each month they dither is another month of money lost.

Edited by Johnny Storm

I know someone (extended family - never meet them) a couple who receive fuel allowance, they live in Southern Italy permanently.

My ex-wife is one such. Spends the winter in her Spanish villa. Even she thinks it is preposterous.

I started getting it too a couple of years back. Flucking stupid governments.

I was but a wee boy....

But it was 20+ years ago. It's a different world.

I remember the eightees well and the effects the last Tory govt had on society.

You are old enough now to experience and remember the effects this one will have.

As usual the easy targets are in the cross hairs. The elephants in the room will escape unscathed.

...anyone negative would have been passed to comment anyone in favour would have been rejected....posts are all scrutinised...the BBC is the most left wing organisation in the country and scared of the cuts the coalition will ask of them...I never watch the BBC through choice....publicly financed lefties....they need to be switched off... :rolleyes:

I remember the eightees well and the effects the last Tory govt had on society.

You are old enough now to experience and remember the effects this one will have.

As usual the easy targets are in the cross hairs. The elephants in the room will escape unscathed.

I also remember the 70's.

I hope this lot do so much damage to the dependency State that it can never recover. I'd smash the complete sh1t out of it myself. That goes for all levels; companies that fail and want handouts, the lot of them.

Ideally we'd still be living in la-la land with Labour ramping up our debt with no end in sight. Unfortunately we now have a grace period on the back of the austerity 'talk', that is stalling progress.

When the cuts eventually bite we'll have a double dip, collapsing tax revenue, falling house prices, banks in trouble again, riots etc., which I believe will ultimately lead to a reverse in the coalition's position and more deficit spending to try to sort things. If we're really unlucky and the coalition stick to their guns and some other financial bombshell doesn't unsettle things, we may need to wait five years for a disgruntled ill-informed public to vote Labour back in and turn the populist money tap back on.

Either way, we'll get to the end result sooner or later, a collapsed pound, sovereign debt crisis and knackered economy. Not all bad news if you know the score and can position yourself accordingly.

Edited by General Congreve

Sadly, that's beginning to look like the case.

I'd willingly bet that in five years time banksters will still be paying themselves huge bonuses and some council CEOS and primary school heads will still be pulling in over £200,000 a year.

Sadly, that's beginning to look like the case.

I'd willingly bet that in five years time banksters will still be paying themselves huge bonuses and some council CEOS and primary school heads will still be pulling in over £200,000 a year.

...hopefully bankers who are owned by the taxpayer will receive no bonuses ...other bankers should earn bonuses according to their success as in other businesses or enterprises.... :rolleyes:

Like Obama they are increasingly looking like talk, talk, talk.

I want to see the public sector job cuts now and not in months or years.

If by Decemeber there have not been tens of thousands of PS workers out of the door then I will not believe this Coalition in anything.

December will be not just 90 days but 180 days so they can have their wenk 90 day PS consultation twice over - time to see some jobs go.

Like Obama they are increasingly looking like talk, talk, talk.

I want to see the public sector job cuts now and not in months or years.

If by Decemeber there have not been tens of thousands of PS workers out of the door then I will not believe this Coalition in anything.

December will be not just 90 days but 180 days so they can have their wenk 90 day PS consultation twice over - time to see some jobs go.

...the election was held not that long before the summer recess...progress has been remarkable in the number of days available ...there is no parliament just now therefore no action ...October seems reasonable to me..... :rolleyes:

...the election was held not that long before the summer recess...progress has been remarkable in the number of days available ...there is no parliament just now therefore no action ...October seems reasonable to me..... :rolleyes:

If the emergency is so great, as they claim, then Parliament should have sat over the Summer...

When they get back from their hols it will be the Autumn Conferences so nothing will happen until early November most likely... but it had better begin to happen then...

...anyone negative would have been passed to comment anyone in favour would have been rejected....posts are all scrutinised...the BBC is the most left wing organisation in the country and scared of the cuts the coalition will ask of them...I never watch the BBC through choice....publicly financed lefties....they need to be switched off... :rolleyes:

Switch 'em off, and what's left? ITV? Sky? Freeview/ Great ! :o(

Good ol' beeb - our TV would be like US or Japanese TV without her, god bless her.

A tad overdone, your argument, what !

Well I guess it all depends what these cuts achieve. If it just means cutting everything to the bone and making life too tough for ordinary people so that the rich can continue as normal then nobody is going to be impressed. I think their perfomance will only be praised if and when we get out of this recession and people see a return to sanity and the cost of living becomes affordable to most, wages rise in line with inflation, people stop being treated like cattle in the workplace and we all get a better life/work balance. Most people do not need wage rises, what they really need is a sensible cost of living. When the economy is no longer an everyday word then I think they will have succeeded.