House Price Crash Forum
I want a house!

Neighbour Has A Fish Pond In His First Floor Flat

I wanted to know what others know. I live in a masionette on the bottom floor. I have a guy with a 2m X 2m X 0.5m filled with water and large adult Khoi fish, which are about 1 foot each in it. I'm worried about the structure of the property and what I can do in this situation?

I'm currently a tenant, would I be able to break my shorthold tenancy because of the fish tank that could come crashing through the floor or do I have no rights?

Is it acceptable by council laws to have a fish tank and raise fish in a first story flat?

All opinions are welcome.

I wanted to know what others know. I live in a masionette on the bottom floor. I have a guy with a 2m X 2m X 0.5m filled with water and large adult Khoi fish, which are about 1 foot each in it. I'm worried about the structure of the property and what I can do in this situation?

I'm currently a tenant, would I be able to break my shorthold tenancy because of the fish tank that could come crashing through the floor or do I have no rights?

Is it acceptable by council laws to have a fish tank and raise fish in a first story flat?

Your description of the dimensions seem pretty accurate have you seen it?

How is it placed directly on the floor?

Someone who has a more methodical brain than mine (or has left school a lot more recently and will remember the formula) will be able to calculate the weight of the water (and tank) as it sits on the floor boards and more importantly (joists).

How old is the structure will it have a concrete floor to the first? Of course older type houses are simply wooden joists set into the brick walls with floorboards one side and plasterboard ceilings the other. Inside will be a lot of the infrastructure of the building such as electrics and gas pipes possibly even water mains.

As it stands you probably don't have enough to break your tenancy but if I was the LL I wouldn't be wanting something like that in my property.

Erm, fit a scaffold struture to prop the ceiling up, and have some towels ready.

Edited by Money Spinner

Off the top of my head that is 2 tonnes, but that is spread over a 4 sq meter area. I have no idea what the law says about this.

I did the math before reading your response.... wahoo, I got it right! (Yes I know it's not hard)

Spread over such a large area I doubt there is a structural risk. A fully packed bookcase probably weighs about the same, but standing in 1/20 of the floorspace, probably with it's weight on 4 areas each 20 cm square at the corners.

Joists are probably 4"x1.5" or 6x2, spaced at 12-18". At that distance you could probably load in 10x that much weight without there being a problem.

I'd be more worried about the tank rupturing and flooding the place.

I did the math before reading your response.... wahoo, I got it right! (Yes I know it's not hard)

Spread over such a large area I doubt there is a structural risk. A fully packed bookcase probably weighs about the same, but standing in 1/20 of the floorspace, probably with it's weight on 4 areas each 20 cm square at the corners.

Joists are probably 4"x1.5" or 6x2, spaced at 12-18". At that distance you could probably load in 10x that much weight without there being a problem.

I'd be more worried about the tank rupturing and flooding the place.

Good reply, you should charge for such a detailed info.

I can't offer any advice but I wouldn't be too happy because it is about 2tons, that's like having 25 people all standing in that 4msq area, I can't see a book case weighing anything like that much?

I can't offer any advice but I wouldn't be too happy because it is about 2tons, that's like having 25 people all standing in that 4msq area, I can't see a book case weighing anything like that much?

If you have a loft conversion done properly, planning requires that they reinforce all the joists, despite the fact that only a double bed, a chest of drawers etc and 1 or 2 people will ever occupy it.

Why's that then?

PS. I see two tons as a major structural danger.

Edited by juvenal

If you have a loft conversion done properly, planning requires that they reinforce all the joists, despite the fact that only a double bed, a chest of drawers etc and 1 or 2 people will ever occupy it.

Why's that then?

PS. I see two tons as a major structural danger.

Cos ceilings are not held up by floor joists but only four by twos, I 'spect/ :o

Ignorance is bliss? The bloke above him might have twice the size tank with piranhas in it!!!!!!! Off the top of my head that weight of water will be no problem at all ,more of a problem if it leaks(as previously suggested) but that could happen with a burst pipe etc ,just another of life's risks i guess . I know where you are coming from but it does not sound like too much of a problem to me . That is all based on the premise of proper joists etc.

Edited by buyinbrazil

Cos ceilings are not held up by floor joists but only four by twos, I 'spect/ :o

Eitherway, having 2 tons of water sitting in the flat above you isn't great, whether it's because of the weigh causing the floor to fall in or because the of flood risk!

I'd have a word with the Landlord.

You are lucky it's fish and not horses! :blink:

Wouldn't worry too much about getting crushed. The beams will flex noticeably before breaking, at least enough to crack the ceiling.

If the ceiling has not cracked, relax.

Prospect of a flood is worrying. I would survey my valuables and perishables and their relative location. If your stuff is looking safe and your neighbour doesn't give you grief, why not leave well enough alone?

I was in a council flat once and there was water staining on the ceiling. The tenant told me that the man in the flat above grew a lawn in his living room. When he watered it the inevitable happened in the flat below. Maybe his next move would have been grazing animals if the council hadn't stopped him.

It equates to 2000kg per 4sqm ie 500kg per sqm. Compare to a woman in 1sq cm stilettos weighing 60kg, equating to 30kg per 0.0001sqm or 300000kg psqm. If the saddo upstairs has been lucky enough to have a woman there and she hasn't fallen through, you'll probably be ok.

Ok, I am ignoring the pressure on the joists and someone with a calculator will check the number of zeroes above soon, but you get the idea.

I left school a long time ago and I dont have a calculator handy but I make it 1/2 a ton.

??

2 x 2 x 0.5 = 2 cubic metres. 1 cubic metre of water = 1000kg, near as damn it an imperial ton as well.

That size of a tank would be very heavy too, so I'd say 2.1 tons ish.

Presuming the 0.5m bit is the depth, pressure is 2000 / 40,000 = 1 / 20 kg per sq cm, or 50 grammes per sq cm.

Not a problem, or shouldn't be!

??

2 x 2 x 0.5 = 2 cubic metres. 1 cubic metre of water = 1000kg, near as damn it an imperial ton as well.

That size of a tank would be very heavy too, so I'd say 2.1 tons ish.

Presuming the 0.5m bit is the depth, pressure is 2000 / 40,000 = 1 / 20 kg per sq cm, or 50 grammes per sq cm.

Not a problem, or shouldn't be!

You are absolutely right sir, please accept my apologies. I have now found my calculator and accepted that my ability to do mental arithmatic has started to atrophy.

ps I must lose the bad habit of converting back to imperial to do the calculation.

Edited by Freeholder

I realise I also ignored the fish, though I fink they shouldn't tip the scales too much...

What if he has guests round and they are all standing round staring at the fish?

Typical dead loadings for floors in public buildings is 5kN/m2 (500kg/m2). They also have to be designed to take 1.4 times the dead load for live loads. As various people have pointed out, the water weighs 2 tonnes and is spread over a 4m2 area so the load is actually 500kg (5kN / m2).

Its not a public building but assuming the fish dont jump too high, theres probably not too much extra live loading going on either.

Lets hope he doesn't decide to increase the water depth to 1 m though....

If the ceiling has not cracked, relax.

That's easy to say if you don't have to live there - would you be happy to have little kids playing under that lot?

Seeing a lot of 'should' this & that re building stds. - but what if the property is badly constructed and/or has deteriorated?

Personally I'd find the joists, get some acrow props in and then make the neighbour's and landlord's life difficult until the tank is gone.