House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Faith Schools Menace? More4 Tonight At 21.00

More Blair evil, one of the worst ideas I've ever heard from a politician, couldn't believe it at the time.

T*sser.

We've got loads of the in Northern ireland , works really well ......... not

More Blair evil, one of the worst ideas I've ever heard from a politician, couldn't believe it at the time.

T*sser.

Yep. Cunning plan to send the whole UK into a Northern-Ireland-like us-and-them civil war in a couple of generations.

Should be interesting.

Yes, but I dont see the need for the fuss. I went to CofE primary and secondary schools with no obvious problems. They were both 'good' schools and this was in the days where everyone went to their local schools rather than those their pushy parents got them into.

Maybe the real debate should be why non faith schools seem to be performing so poorly in comparison.

Yes, but I dont see the need for the fuss. I went to CofE primary and secondary schools with no obvious problems. They were both 'good' schools and this was in the days where everyone went to their local schools rather than those their pushy parents got them into.

Maybe the real debate should be why non faith schools seem to be performing so poorly in comparison.

It depends on what they are being taught, or not being taught.

Generally speaking, C of E is the least religious religion there is.

Edit to add: I'm not at all in favour of religion in childhood, never mind in schools. Once you're 18 you can make up you own mind.

God has smote them, with pestilence and SATs. :blink:

People can send their kids to whatever religious school and be taught whatever they want, but I'm not paying for it.

I'm watching it at the moment and... sorry... but it appears you are.

1 in 3 state schools apparently.

CofE is religion-lite. Not at all like heavy-duty catholicism, or its jewish or moslem extremist counterparts.

What, like Eton? That's a perception coming from a few schools with very serious problems. Any form of exclusivity serves to keep the worst problems away, and religious schools have a form of exclusivity built-in. As well as Blair's "you can have any religion you like so long as you renounce the Enlightenment" slush-money.

I know a couple who pretended to be catholics so that they could get their kid into the local school with the best results. It's a subtle form of natural selection that gets the kids with the motivated parents into the best performing schools, which is one of the main reasons why they are the best performing schools!

The scary bit of the program was the islamic school though where any information that could contradict the koran was deemed a lie because the koran was, by definition correct. E.g. evolution and swathes of cosmology.

We should adopt the US model and separate church and state by law.

I know a couple who pretended to be catholics so that they could get their kid into the local school with the best results. It's a subtle form of natural selection that gets the kids with the motivated parents into the best performing schools, which is one of the main reasons why they are the best performing schools!

The scary bit of the program was the islamic school though where any information that could contradict the koran was deemed a lie because the koran was, by definition correct. E.g. evolution and swathes of cosmology.

We should adopt the US model and separate church and state by law.

Not sure about that... ironically, a suggested reason why the US has all the nutcase evangelicals is because there is no State church..

We can just put schools into the failing category if they blatantly teach creationism..

Not sure about that... ironically, a suggested reason why the US has all the nutcase evangelicals is because there is no State church..

We can just put schools into the failing category if they blatantly teach creationism..

No, not ironical at all. I don't see why taxpayers funds should be diverted to schools that teach sectarianism and separatism. If the faith heads want to drum, e.g. the koran into their kids heads then do it in their own time, and at their own expense. The fact that the US has a lot of noisy nutcase christian evangelicals does not change my view on this.

Excellent, as always, Richard Dawkins has hit the nail on the head. Children should be educated about religions, NOT indoctrinated in a particular religion.

I was particularly perturbed by the pupil who denied evolution, while admitting she wanted to be a doctor. I hope she never treats me!:(

Excellent, as always, Richard Dawkins has hit the nail on the head. Children should be educated about religions, NOT indoctrinated in a particular religion.

I was particularly perturbed by the pupil who denied evolution, while admitting she wanted to be a doctor. I hope she never treats me!:(

I read this book recently - Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran - an it does explain her logic; basically that if modern discoveries contradict the koran (the perfect word of god etc.) then the modern discovery is de facto incorrect. Dunno how she's going to explain away bacteria evolving resistance to antibiotics etc.

It also debunks the fantastical claims by islamists about how koran contains accurate descriptions of stuff like embryology, which I've seen trotted out on forums like this.