House Price Crash Forum
DisQ

'nightmare Tenants' Itv Next Week, Landlords Are Owed Thousands Of Pounds

Highlights of ITV programme on next week

Rent arrears on the increase

Procedure to follow on withheld rents

Rogue tenants exposed on ITV Tonight

17 August 2010

Landlord Action's founder, Paul Shamplina, will be heavily appearing on ITV Tonight's programme 'Nightmare Tenants' on Thursday 26th August at 7.30pm.

Paul will not only be commenting on a number of ongoing cases where landlords are owed thousands of pounds relating to unpaid rent but will also be trying to expose these 'rogue' tenants in front of the camera to the nation.

The programme is set to highlight some of the financial issues that landlords can experience when they rent their property out to a nightmare tenant, and will be mainly doing so by using three cases that Landlord Action are currently acting on, including their biggest rent arrears case to date.

With rent arrears exceeding £85,000, Landlord Action started the eviction process on behalf of landlady Vanessa Rhodes back in April to ensure tenants were vacated from her property in Putney Wharf.

Having been through the correct procedures, Landlord Action received a seven day possession order and had applied for an eviction date, which was set for the 6th August. With the client now in possession of the property, on filming Paul is shown serving the court order and bankruptcy documents.

Of any calculation, rent arrears are an increasingly common problem for Landlord Action.

Paul comments:

“From dealing with thousands of cases over our ten years of trading we have seen a huge increase in the last 18 months of landlords instructing us to carry out an eviction on their tenants who have not been paying the rent.

"This is mainly due to the recession as we have seen more amateur landlords enter the market who may not have the knowledge about buy-to-let and have therefore not done their tenant checks properly, opening themselves up to these potential problems.”

As well as this, Paul says that there are problems with regards to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) system with tenants keeping the rent:

“Under current laws payments are made direct to the tenant and we have also seen a rise in possession actions against tenants who have withheld rent and not passed it on to the landlord.”

Paul has therefore also been filmed undertaking two evictions on LHA tenants who owe thousands of pounds. The first eviction was for landlord Mr Parmar on his property in Mitcham, Surrey. Paul is shown along with a professional locksmith and a bailiff being interviewed outside the residence before trying to undertake procedures.

However, wise to the fact that something was going on the tenant had left the property the day before. Exposed on the next eviction though is a tenant who is still in the property.

On arrival, although the tenant wouldn't leave at first they were eventually talked out by the bailiffs only to up and flee, leaving all personal belongings behind.

Paul says:

“Unfortunately, some cases can be an example of a tenant having their own problems and it can be upsetting to see, as was the situation with this last case.”

The programme also draws attention to a closed case where after the landlord had taken back possession of their property they discovered that the tenant had actually stolen the conservatory. This is to underline an extraordinary situation that has happened to one innocent landlord.

http://www.myintroducer.com/view.asp?ID=4444

Turns out someone I know has gone into BTL.

Didn't register the renters' deposit with some deposit holding scheme which, apparently, landlords have to do.

Anyhow, the renters have allegedly caused 8K worth of damage and my friend wanted them out so agreed with them not to charge them the last month rent as a return of their deposit to get them out... so they did not pay the last month in rent...

But apparently they are now taking the person I know to court suing for 3K in stress plus their deposit back because of the worry of not having had their deposit registered.

I have no idea about any of this other than the person I know is really stressed out about all of this and is in court this week apparently.

Turns out someone I know has gone into BTL.

Didn't register the renters' deposit with some deposit holding scheme which, apparently, landlords have to do.

Anyhow, the renters have allegedly caused 8K worth of damage and my friend wanted them out so agreed with them not to charge them the last month rent as a return of their deposit to get them out... so they did not pay the last month in rent...

But apparently they are now taking the person I know to court suing for 3K in stress plus their deposit back because of the worry of not having had their deposit registered.

I have no idea about any of this other than the person I know is really stressed out about all of this and is in court this week apparently.

Yet more evidence (if it were needed) that renting property should only be done on a serious basis by professionals.

My friend was going to rent out a flat but decided not to as she 'would not be able to just move back whenever she wanted'

Rogue tenants not paying their rent are the new foot soldiers in this war.

They are my heros, and I salute them!!

Go tenant rent dodgers!!! With your hard work and skill in evading capture, the landlord despots will begin to taste what financial hardship really is!

kitchener_poster.jpg

Edited by wtb

but will also be trying to expose these 'rogue' tenants in front of the camera to the nation

Harrassement of debtors is a criminal offence in the UK under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act. All it would take is for a viewer to call the police and the police could arrest the producer and landlord.

Rogue tenants not paying their rent are the new foot soldiers in this war.

They are my heros, and I salute them!!

Go tenant rent dodgers!!! With your hard work and skill in evading capture, the landlord despots will begin to taste what financial hardship really is!

kitchener_poster.jpg

:lol::lol: Hilarious.

"With rent arrears exceeding £85,000, Landlord Action started the eviction process."

"However, wise to the fact that something was going on the tenant had left the property the day before."

"they discovered that the tenant had actually stolen the conservatory"

You (the tenants) are hereby awarded the The Most Noble Order of the Garter for chivalry and honour in the face of the BTL enemy.

Ordergarter_crop.jpg

Edited by wtb

Tenants are bags of puss to be squeezed at every opportunity.

Worse than Bankers.

Came across a mortgage possession today - the owner didn't turn up, but the tenant did. She's been in there 10 months on an unauthorised tenancy, has one young child and is about to pop out another. Man, she was big as a battleship. When asked if her £800 deposit was protected she said, "I don't fink he done anyfing legit."

Landlord was taking HB direct from the LA, about £100 in excess of mortgage instalments.

Tenant has 28 days to get out. But that's ok, the LA will house her as a priority case who's not intentionally homeless.

These amateurs - they make BTLers look good!

My friend was the ideal tenant, always paid her rent on time, looked after the property lived there for about 8 years the landlord lived abroad.....then the landlord got greedy, upped the rent over and above the rate for the area, my friend could not afford this so had four weeks to find alternative accommodation.....then they slap a coat of paint all over, cut down two beautiful mature trees in the garden, got new tenants that said they would agree to pay the new higher rent, they lived there for around six months at least if not longer, failed to pay anything apart from the first month rent then proceeded to trash the place......my friend found a far nicer place to live within her budget down the road. ;)

Tenants are scum

I have found only two out of nearly 20 tenants I have had have turned out to be scum. One single girl who was a 'friend' of the family of the letting agent and a curry house waiter - both did runners.

I now try to keep to the rule of not renting to under 30's singles, smokers and have no dogs & cats.

The liberal laws will push landlords into getting some 'baseball bat' insurance as it will be a lot cheaper in the long run to forcibly evict than do the right thing through the courts.

I have found only two out of nearly 20 tenants I have had have turned out to be scum. One single girl who was a 'friend' of the family of the letting agent and a curry house waiter - both did runners.

I now try to keep to the rule of not renting to under 30's singles, smokers and have no dogs & cats.

The liberal laws will push landlords into getting some 'baseball bat' insurance as it will be a lot cheaper in the long run to forcibly evict than do the right thing through the courts.

why ban cats?

I think morons are attracted to landlordism. Just about every landlord i have met has been a low grade moron.

Edited by Stars

Tenants are lazy, dole-scrounging, pot-growing, property-wrecking, unambitious reprobates.

People who take out interest only 8x their fake salary mortgages and spend 5 years on an IVA because their expenditure exceeds their income are salt of the earth, hard-working home owners.

I am ITV and I am impartial.

If you are dealing with your 'scum' tenants don't forget they are probably also adept at using a baseball bat ... and they know where you live. Still as a LL you know best and I'm sure you stick to your rule except when you need to get a tenant.

What liberals laws by the way?

I always keep a letting agent between me and the tenants - plus I am in a different county and often in a different continent..

The liberal/pc laws that if the tenant stops paying, we cannot kick them out immediately and get someone in who will pay rent. We have to apply to get the deposit released and if they cause more damage than the deposit we can forget trying to get money back etc.

So basically the tenant is allowed to steal from the landlord and in some extreme cases, may cause them financial ruin.

I always keep a letting agent between me and the tenants - plus I am in a different county and often in a different continent..

The liberal/pc laws that if the tenant stops paying, we cannot kick them out immediately and get someone in who will pay rent. We have to apply to get the deposit released and if they cause more damage than the deposit we can forget trying to get money back etc.

So basically the tenant is allowed to steal from the landlord and in some extreme cases, may cause them financial ruin.

...that is the risk you take, I have no sympathy for you.....nobody forces anyone to be a landlord....that is why I chose the easier free life, debt and hassle free....I'm out. ;)

Edited by winkie

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

BTL only made sense in a World of house price risers............so take the crap, move them out after 10-15 years & reap that lovely profit........i mean its not that the house price will fall!

I suspect that banks are now ready to start to chery pick the houses that they can REPO & sell on quick......by Xmas we be well into it...........& the panic will start....can't wait to see Merv's face!

:)

Mike

Edited by Mega

That's the business you have chosen, these are the risks, if you can't accept the risks and the law then do something else.

I am a businessman, I deal with risk every day, that is why I invest in a letting agent to check potential tenants, and have developed strict criteria to who I let my properties. It is much better to go an extra month or two without rent than take on scum.