House Price Crash Forum

It's Grim Up North

Guest rigsby II

HOLA441
Guest rigsby II

Great program last night about it being Grim Up North. Some quotes...

You know you are in the North when...

People know what to do with their lard.

People ask if you do a reduction for cash.

You are comfortable in just a T-shirt in the snow.

You know you are in the South when...

You notice the bus shelters are all mock Tudor.

People's wheelie bins have a leafy camouflage cover.

Everything costs three times as much as it should do.

"The unfortunate thing about people from the North is they are allowed to travel... you find them all over the place and wonderful though they are, they come up and talk to you.... they will tell you their entire life story, their relatives... their work situation, where they went on holiday the year before... they are lovely people but they are not interesting." Michael Winner

"I don't know what you do with the string of mill towns. We can't regenerate them. Are they worth regenerating? I think the most one could hope for is that we have another plague, another bout of Russian 'flu, that depletes the population by 20 million and then we could demolish all those places." Brian Sewell

"If I could end my life and be like Fred Dibnah I'd be really, really happy. What's wrong with nice? People in the South hate that word nice, but the North is nice."

Wayne Hemmingway.

"If you want to freak the hell out of anyone in London, just go on the Tube and say, 'Good morning'."

Stephen Tompkinson.

And house prices in the South are more expensive too...

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertai...nd_bear_it.html

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticl...ticleID=1122792

Edited by rigsby II

HOLA442

"If I could end my life and be like Fred Dibnah I'd be really, really happy. What's wrong with nice? People in the South hate that word nice, but the North is nice."

Wayne Hemmingway.

...but if you have ever met a grumpy old northern man then Victor Meldrew seems quite mellow in comparison...

:D

PS. I live oop north and it's great!!!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Bart of Darkness
they are lovely people but they are not interesting." Michael Winner

Pot, kettle?

I'll have to try and catch this programme when it's repeated.

"If you want to freak the hell out of anyone in London, just go on the Tube and say, 'Good morning'." Stephen Tompkinson.

I know what he means. Whenever I travel by tube, in order to try to blend in with the locals, I adopt the following approach.

Do not make eye contact.

Do not smile.

Do not attempt to engage anyone in conversation (anyone who talks to you is either a tourist who's a bit lost or a begger)

Get in and out as fast as possible.

If I was going to move "down south" I'd probably go a bit further than London (New Zealand for example!)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
My mum used to reuse the ever growing amount of fat in our frying pan for cooking everything a period of about 2 weeks - i'm surprised i'm still alive to tell the tail.

After it was unfit for human use we used it for conditioning the whippets coat

my uncle also found it useful when extracting recalcitrant ferrets from his trousers

HOLA449
HOLA4410