House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Iran To Be Bombed In The Next Few Days?

...according to Fox News.

The gist of the article is that after the Bushehr reactor is fired up, which is scheduled to happen this weekend, any bombing of the facility would release radioactive contamination and thus be politically unacceptable.

This is an interesting one - Israel are effectively damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they do, they'll have pissed off both Obama (whose administration has been pressuring Israel against unilateral military action) and the Russians (who are helping the Iranians build the Bushehr facility). Also, Iran could close the Strait of Hormuz just like that in retaliation, and in the aftermath of a bombing, they'd probably be doing so with Russia's and China's blessing. But if Israel don't bomb the place, then effectively there's nothing further they can do to prevent Iran from arming itself with nukes. Interesting times...

Except that this is John Bolton who is absolutely barking.

There's a (slightly) more balanced article in The Atlantic if you're interested, although I'm not entirely sure what their agenda is either, suggesting Netanyahu will want to get it done probably by the Spring latest, but will have to wait until Obama has exhausted the sanctions approach first, and even then it's going to require not telling the US until after the bombers are airborne, and the Saudis to turn off their radar which means they'll only get one go at it.

But with Obama's poll ratings slumping who knows what he may be persauded to do by his handlers.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/09/the-point-of-no-return/8186/1/

There is always the third option of refraining from blockading, attacking and otherwise pissing off their neighbours. Then, perhaps, the Iranians would more tempted to elect less confrontational leaders.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Except that this is John Bolton who is absolutely barking.

Yup

Bolton is a total fruit loop, a warmongering psychopath

Anyone got a dodgy dossier on this one?

Yeah, but how are we gonna squeeze in a quick weapons inspection and a 'suicide' before the weekend?

Yup

Bolton is a total fruit loop, a warmongering psychopath

The 'merkins have form on this. Look at the huge influence the equally-barking McCarthy (god's gift to communism) had.

There is always the third option of refraining from blockading, attacking and otherwise pissing off their neighbours. Then, perhaps, the Iranians would more tempted to elect less confrontational leaders.

They did vote for a less confrontational leader, but the current leader didn't want to leave...

Yeah, but how are we gonna squeeze in a quick weapons inspection and a 'suicide' before the weekend?

The Israelis don't bother with such niceties.

IMO the only real reason they haven't tried already is that they're not sure of achieving their aim on their own without using minor nukes which would cause even more trouble.

Drop a great big f'n nuke right in the middle of the lot. Take out Israel and Iran, job done.

I bet you are really sh!te at DIY.

Hold on, is this in response to the fact I just booked a flight out there on and will invariably fly over the place?

Was it on an F-16?

Drop a great big f'n nuke right in the middle of the lot. Take out Israel and Iran, job done.

Yeah but then they'd still fight but over holy glass instead.

Did you know that King Stromba actually flies F-16s ?! ohmy.gif

Doesn't surprise me. Judging by some of his posts, his mouth is as big as the air-intake on one of those things! The only HPC poster to make it onto my ignore list.....

Out of interest, what do people on here think about the threat posed by Iran? Do you believe they're warmongering mentalist freaks, or cute fluffy teddy bears? Or maybe somewhere in between?

Doesn't surprise me. Judging by some of his posts, his mouth is as big as the air-intake on one of those things! The only HPC poster to make it onto my ignore list.....

Surprises me, don't those guys have a yearly psyche evaluation?

Out of interest, what do people on here think about the threat posed by Iran? Do you believe they're warmongering mentalist freaks, or cute fluffy teddy bears? Or maybe somewhere in between?

answer really is....iranian people ok bunch.

iranian leaders...complete *****ers.

...same set up throughout the globe really.

the threat iran poses is genuine enough,but it really stems from the mentallist priesthoods that are the mafia don's in that particular country.

...and we have about half a dozen crime syndicates playing for that particular bit of turf.

The country is split fairly evenly between medieval talibanists and westernised modernisers. At the last election the medievalists won, just and it was disputed. But note that there was an election, we are not talking Iraq or Afghanistan here.

I have no problem with sending in the troops when necessary but here we have a country where we have the option of getting a normal country like Egypt by helping it, or another Afghanistan by isolating, threatening or even bombing it.

I cheered the attack on Afghanistan

I thought the attack on Iraq was wrong

I think an attack on Iran would be criminally stupid

I wondered how many wars/conflicts Iran has been involved in and, to be honest, the only ones I can find seem to ones that Britan had a big hand in.

1941, we invaded, Iran was cosying up to Germany. 1953 we joined with Israel to overthrow their elected government and replace him with the Shah. 1980 Iraq attacked Iran, with Britain training and supplying arms to Iraq. In short, I can't help feeling that if we left them alone, they wouldn't be any problem to anyone.

I've met a fair few Iranians in my life, all 'modernisers', and they mostly seemed decent people, if a little football-mad and overly-stoned.

It's hard to say. They're much-maligned in our media, and some at least of it is certainly undeserved.

As for them having a problem with us, I don't blame them. They had a western-backed despot, who they threw out in 1979. They then got the Islamic republic, which was pretty ghastly except when compared to other revolutions such as France or Russia, but it was relatively brief.

Then in the 1980s, the west's local henchman Saddam Hussein waged brutal war against them, with use of what we now call WMD. Note that all Saddam's worst atrocities happened in the 1980s too.

That war finally ends, and they get democracy. Not perfect, but then who are we to throw stones? They elect Mr Khatemi, who liberalises and seeks reconciliation with the west. Europe is partially receptive to better relations, the US absolutely won't listen. Well, if that's the west's attitude, what's the point? No wonder the reformists lost out in later elections: they couldn't deliver on the promise of opening up to the West.

And now they're surrounded on most sides and being threatened by forces of the world's great warmongers. That's the kind of circumstances that could give rise to something altogether worse than the current leadership :ph34r: