House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soul Reaver

I Mean

If one more person on the tv starts a conversation with

"I mean"

I will scream very loudly.

Problem is once you have noticed it you then notice everyone is doing it :( Just like everything is basic now or basically.

'Ja get me?'. That's my absolute worst one and seems prevalent in London.

"You know what I mean?" after every sentence sounds funny coming from a skinny Singaporean surgeon. Sorry, not funny. Bloody annoying.

Oh, that and 'arks' (instead of 'ask')

I only heard this for the first time this year and discovered that it is in fact acceptable dialect pronunciation for "ask".

"I mean"

Problem is once you have noticed it you then notice everyone is doing it :( Just like everything is basic now or basically.

'Like' is my bugbear.

I only heard this for the first time this year and discovered that it is in fact acceptable dialect pronunciation for "ask".

I don't really find it acceptable. Someone that works for me says it, she is lucky she didn't say it or me pick up on it in the interview or she wouldn't have got the job.

"I mean"

Really annoying, isn't it. You could add 'obviously' to the list.

Personal hate :-

He plays his football for ...

No! It's just he plays football for ...

My Mother gets very annoyed with people on the TV saying something is very unique or really unique. It's unique or it isn't.

Problem is once you have noticed it you then notice everyone is doing it...

...on a daily basis? :P

Like! You know, like! Like, Like!

The absolute worst. Every time I'm on a bus or train some 19 year old trendie with nascent anorexia is talking on her phone in that manner - with 'like' every second word and using AUI (Australian Upward Inflection) at the end of every sentence. It drives me mad because it's usually educated middle class types, who should know better, who do this.

People who say 'Ya get me' 'arks' etc are usually sink-comp types who probably can't really help it.

A lot of young people seem to say 'shstchudent' now instead of 'student'.

I have another two sports related ones, "we had a great game of cricket today" when spoken by a professional cricket player who has just finished playing, why not just say "we had a great game blah blah...." ???? Everyone knows it was a cricket match... don't know why but this annoys me.... Same goes for "he had a good round of Golf" when spoken on the BBC during a Golf tournament.... really ?? I thought they were playing extreme croquet.......

So and so is 36 years of age

no, they're 36

or they're 36 years old

Almost as bad as AKS innit

and

going forward

well unless you've got a time machine Mr Management Consultant wannabe (eeugh) everything is going f*cking forward.

What gets on my nerves is, you know, when the BBC is, you know, inverviewing sportsmen during something like, you know, a rugby match and they just can't, you know, stop saying "you know" all the time. It's really irritating. You know.

Sorry, but that's not, like, as irritating as when people like, say, like, every other word? And then, like, go up at the end of every sentence? Even when it's not, like, a question?

Sometimes I get the urge to, like, smack them over the head?

Really annoying, isn't it. You could add 'obviously' to the list.

What is weird Is I just clicked one day and went WTF is it with "I mean" all the time. It was like a light had switched on in my head and all of sudden I noticed something that had been there all the time!