House Price Crash Forum
Dave Spart

Confetti Goes Bust

On this BBC rant site, I japed that it should be a requirement for couples to divorce with equal extravagance and merriment as their wedding ceremonies.

Doubtless Confetti staged quite a few spectaculars in their time (doubtless fuelling their clients egos).

Will Confetti be wound up with similar theatrical narcissism?

I want to start a business. It shall be called divorcedin5mins.com

I 'll get some craz guy to advertise it for me on TV like gocompare or moneysupermarket or thetrainline.

I want to start a business. It shall be called divorcedin5mins.com

I 'll get some craz guy to advertise it for me on TV like gocompare or moneysupermarket or thetrainline.

easybankrupt?

Very reminiscent of WrapIt, who went bust in the 2008 post-Lehman fallout...

And how did the directors break the news to the employees?

Its a wrap?

The business looks like it's got economic bubble froth fluff business written all over it.

Interesting, how over the last ten years or so weddings seem to have become some kind of commoditised 'experience' day like going sky-diving or a day driving a Ferrari around a racetrack.

Interesting, how over the last ten years or so weddings seem to have become some kind of commoditised 'experience' day like going sky-diving or a day driving a Ferrari around a racetrack.

Astute comment from SNCR as always.

Google any 'stately home', manor house or National Trust venue and see how many depend upon the 'commoditised experience day' for revenue.

Typical example:

http://www.weddingsatpenshurstplace.com/index.html

Not surprised they are facing hard times. And perhaps competition from Tesco's new £15 engagement ring. (Buy a wedding ring at the same time and get both for £29.95.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/money/money-matters/tesco-offers-cheap-alternative-to-expensive-engagement-rings/story-fn312ws8-1225905308390

Because she's worth it?

:lol:

Seriously, economising on your (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime day does indicate the current austerity mindset.

Edited by copydude

They must have thought making money from weddings would be a piece of cake.

It was when assholes were prepared to MEW £15k out of their everlasting cash machine house at 4% IO to pay for Chantelle's wedding of the century.

Now Chantelle is divorced, 60lb heavier and back living with mum & dad with 2 mewling & puking kids in tow.

And the house has been served with a possession order.

People are dumber than a bag of rocks and Confetti & their ilk know it. The prime movers will move on to the next scam - probably had them up & running already.

Sadly, a lot of the employess will be sitting at home wondering what just happened.

"People will always get married, won't they?"

"Yes, but they ain't spending money they haven't got on your salaries any more..."

The administrator's going to lift the veil on the accounts.

Edited by Frank Sidebottom

Seriously, economising on your (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime day does indicate the current austerity mindset.

Or maybe people are finally waking up to the ludicrous practice of wasting tens of thousands on this bizarre ritual?

This must surely signal (finally) the end of the increasingly surreal, debt fuelled world we have come to know and love over the last 13 years.

The worry is, what the hell are we all going to do for a living when people stop borrowing and spending?

We spent 2 grand on our wedding in the early 80s. At the time it was quite a lot of money. But it was paid for in cash - and we (my wife and I) paid for the bulk of it - I didn't think it was fair to lumber her Dad with a huge bill. I don't think it would ever have occurred to anyone to tack a few grand on to someone's mortgage to pay for it. It wouldn't even have been something you would consider and then, perhaps, dismiss. No-one would have considered it for a moment.

Looking back, we just seemed to slide into this using the house as a cash machine malarkey.

Or maybe people are finally waking up to the ludicrous practice of wasting tens of thousands on this bizarre ritual?

The wedding is like the dream of having a pink thatched cottage, the tall dark stranger for a husband, the ideal job.

My girls played weddings all the time....their books, their games their TV, all sell the dream.

then the big day comes........you know what they want...its been sold to them for 20 years.

I doubt it. Weddings seem to have got bigger as marriage got smaller. Big weddings seem to me to be a sort of primitive voodoo to try to make the marriage work...if we appease the Gods with enough offerings, perhaps it will work, sort of thing.

I also think big weddings are a result not only of MEW but of social changes. In the past you got married young and you, and your parents, didn't have much money to blow. It was really just a 'licence to fornicate'.

Now, couples are together for years before they get married, probably in their 30s. They and their parents have money to burn and have built up all sorts of expectations. The relationship has started to cool off and the wedding is seen as a chance to put the romance back in.

It was when assholes were prepared to MEW £15k out of their everlasting cash machine house at 4% IO to pay for Chantelle's wedding of the century.

Now Chantelle is divorced, 60lb heavier and back living with mum & dad with 2 mewling & puking kids in tow.

And the house has been served with a possession order.

So white weddings are out, 'Whale Weddings' are in ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aGkcOFfmEE

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I doubt it. Weddings seem to have got bigger as marriage got smaller. Big weddings seem to me to be a sort of primitive voodoo to try to make the marriage work...if we appease the Gods with enough offerings, perhaps it will work, sort of thing.

I also think big weddings are a result not only of MEW but of social changes. In the past you got married young and you, and your parents, didn't have much money to blow. It was really just a 'licence to fornicate'.

Now, couples are together for years before they get married, probably in their 30s. They and their parents have money to burn and have built up all sorts of expectations. The relationship has started to cool off and the wedding is seen as a chance to put the romance back in.

I agree with most of this. The willingness to get into debt over a one day party is quite amazing. I think we spent about £14k in all, including all the rings and free booze for the guests all night. It was a good do with nice food, we just didn't invite the world and his wife. And, most importantly, we had the money to pay for it. Whilst at other weddings I have heard people quote figures if £20k+ and I got the impression they barely earned that much in a year after tax.

A wedding should cost no more than a month's wages of the higher wage earner.

Spend any more and it's money down the drain................. B)