House Price Crash Forum
deflation

Realtime Worlds Games Into Admin

The other 200 staff are being 'consulted.' Online role-playing games going out of fashion maybe?

The company, which was founded by the creator of Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto, is based in a former jute mill in the city.

APB was five years in development but it is thought it failed to attract sufficient numbers of subscribers following mediocre reviews.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11003456

The other 200 staff are being 'consulted.' Online role-playing games going out of fashion maybe?

The company, which was founded by the creator of Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto, is based in a former jute mill in the city.

APB was five years in development but it is thought it failed to attract sufficient numbers of subscribers following mediocre reviews.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11003456

sh*****t...

I've got two mates who've only just moved there for a new project - and I know at least four other people who've been there for years. Only last week they were letting one whole team go, but this week it's the whole lot down the khazi.

RTW are Dundee's games industry. Very bad news for another northern dev. house.

What impact, if any, will this have on other games firms such as EA, Ubisoft, etc?

EA are a BS publisher anyway, all they seem to do is +1 on the meshsmooth iterations, alter the skins for the sports kits and repackage it as a new game. The FIFA core probably hasb't changed since PS1.

Ages and ages ago when they had desert strike and road rash they released some good stuff but now it is just only selling proven things al la FIFA.

EA are a BS publisher anyway, all they seem to do is +1 on the meshsmooth iterations, alter the skins for the sports kits and repackage it as a new game. The FIFA core probably hasb't changed since PS1.

Ages and ages ago when they had desert strike and road rash they released some good stuff but now it is just only selling proven things al la FIFA.

Desert Strike and Road Rash - that just bought some memories back Ken!

Most people I find play facebook games? This is the future, small applications, and people can still chat, work, watch TV all at the same time.

Thank god the Govt. removed the planned tax breaks for the UK games industry during the budget. It is one industry that was booming but its getting increasingly difficult to compete against studios abroad with lower wages and govt assistance.

Those talented game designers will no doubt be leaving to work abroad or attempting to live the dream in the UK by learning how to trade stocks or make lattes instead.

Edited by majestic whine

Online role-playing games going out of fashion maybe?

Mmo's do fine. Well the right ones do, there have been some awful ones launched recently. Particularly one with brand ties in – I'm looking at you STO.

APB has had very poor reviews, but i'd be surprised if this is the only reason though, it's only been out a couple of months, can't imagine they expected huge uptake, for this product at this time of year.

But there is a distinct lack of imagination in the mainstream releases, I'll been looking for a new game for a few weeks now, and I don't mind paying a premium, but everything looks so stale.

They were very good way back at the beginning, when they were founded by a bunch of elite coders to promote quality, 'out of the box' games that conventional software houses wouldn't be interested in developing and selling (how ironic, considering what they eventually became).

Games like MULE, Archon and Pinball Construction Set were absolute classics for the day.

Anyway, I thought that the computer gaming industry was supposed to be doing well, all time record sales etc. etc.? Looks like, surprise surprise, only the banksters are doing well these days. Oh well, who needs actual businesses anyway then you can just skim money through the business of juggling figures on spreadsheets and get access to an endless pool of cash for 0.5% and leverage it 17x before lending it at 5% or more.... Clearly we should all start banks.

I was just wondering how the games industry is doing and whether this is a sign of bad times?

New xbox just out, new PS on the way, MS kinnetix boll ox coming... are games companies about to see a boom in sales?

Anyway, I thought that the computer gaming industry was supposed to be doing well, all time record sales etc. etc.? Looks like, surprise surprise, only the banksters are doing well these days. Oh well, who needs actual businesses anyway then you can just skim money through the business of juggling figures on spreadsheets and get access to an endless pool of cash for 0.5% and leverage it 17x before lending it at 5% or more.... Clearly we should all start banks.

The game industry is massively vulberable to piracy, a couple of weeks after the xbox new thing was released Glen a guy I sort of know had a chip for it... hell the guy who cloned my HDD (I thought it was about to fail and it did) said for £50 I can get you a 250gb HDD with every Wii game on it.

Warren Buffet didn't buy into IT. One reason he didn't understand it, second, there are little barriers to entry. There is no "moat" around the business.

Mmo's do fine. Well the right ones do, there have been some awful ones launched recently. Particularly one with brand ties in – I'm looking at you STO.

APB has had very poor reviews, but i'd be surprised if this is the only reason though, it's only been out a couple of months, can't imagine they expected huge uptake, for this product at this time of year.

But there is a distinct lack of imagination in the mainstream releases, I'll been looking for a new game for a few weeks now, and I don't mind paying a premium, but everything looks so stale.

If your looking for imagination in online gaming try Myst Online. Its free too!

This was one that failed early on due to poor take up of broadband, its around now but not quite what it was meant to be, staying afloat because of fans.

Ive been a massive PES fan - PES2009 on PS2 was just brilliant - then i got a PS3, bought PES2010 - and its dire

Decided to cross over this year - already pre-ordered Fifa 11 (knock down on amazon at £33.

Back to title - nver been bothered with the online community games - stuck in front of a PC or PS with electronic friends seems even to geeky for me (and I wear sandals with socks)

Mates come round every now and then for a footy night - much more fun.

If your looking for imagination in online gaming try Myst Online. Its free too!

This was one that failed early on due to poor take up of broadband, its around now but not quite what it was meant to be, staying afloat because of fans.

Cheers, i'll take a look.

This is really bad news for Dundee.

There's not much going on there - 2 years ago the largest private employer in the city went bust - a cash machine company. :blink:

Moved production to Eastern Europe. 550 jobs lost. :(

We (in Aberdeen) have adverts in the local paper for courses in computer games studies - something like "Master's of Computer Game Design"

I always saw it as a scam - but they said there was the chance to work in the fast growing computer games industry in Dundee.

Turns out that it was a lie and that qualification will be useless and a waste of money.

Warren Buffet didn't buy into IT. One reason he didn't understand it, second, there are little barriers to entry.

I think Buffet was talking about the dot com thing, rather than IT in general. Microsoft, Apple and Google are all companies that would have earned a pretty penny if he'd bought in at the right time.

There is no "moat" around the business.

There is - software patents.

Edited by What's'isname

Launching an MMO is like a lottery.

On the one hand you have WOW sucking up all the paying subscribers, on the other hand you have 'free' MMOs like Guild Wars or the offerings from Aeria and the other free to play games.

There's some scary looking charts for some of the least successful games here :-

www.mmodata.net

Just have a look at some of the low subscriber number games, launch, reach peak, die - all in a couple of months.

More generally, the games industry is doing well. Unfortunately though its becoming more dominated by big event releases such as Call of Duty, FIFA xx or Final Fantasy.

I have seen more niche games getting released in the last couple of years though. Ten years ago I would never have hoped to see something like Atelier Rorona or Trinity Universe released in the USA, let alone Europe.

That's a shame.

The small software companies have the habit of producing some really good games until they get bought up by a big player who as someone said, just +1 to the companys leading title.

The games industry is very hit driven, i.e. one big hit will pay for 10 or 20 games that lose money (or something to that effect). So if your one big project doesn't go well you quickly run out of money and have to cut costs. Seems to be what happened here. If APB was a success they would be rolling in money but it seems like it's just not to be. :(

EA are actually ok now. With FIFA 10 they re-wrote everything and made it better than the PES games. Their other franchises they don't milk too much and also let the individual studios have more say. Activision are the 'bad guys' now - they took EA's template of making hit game +1 and ran with it.

Most games jobs have gone over to Canada, mainly because of the tax breaks. I used to work with a guy who works on FIFA over there now. There are big centres in Vancouver and Montreal, plus some other ones around about. So the industry as a whole is doing ok, but for the UK it's slowly dying off (high cost of living, etc.). Of course, the new government took little time to decide not to introduce the tax breaks that Labour suggested (probably as a sop before the election, but still...). :(

I don't know much, if anything, about online games but, this sounds more business model failure than recessionary.

The failure rate of games is just ridiculous. Most titles will never recoup their production costs. People get involved in investing in games for the glamour, or the machismo, or something. But the reality of the situation though, is that 95% of new titles fail.

That's even worse than the movie industry. Something like 75% of movies made will not recoup their production costs. And studios have peculiar accounting practices to help soften the blows.

I guess they were looking a hit, but it just didn't happen for them. Next.