House Price Crash Forum

Just 'upgraded' To Windows 7

Ruffneck

HOLA441

Hey guys just 'upgraded' to Windows 7 , am wondering where the find files application has gone - the one that lets you search by date modified , by folder , by size etc?

Also how do you get normal start menu , control panels and desktop icons like my computer back?

HOLA442

Hey guys just 'upgraded' to Windows 7 , am wondering where the find files application has gone - the one that lets you search by date modified , by folder , by size etc?

Also how do you get normal start menu , control panels and desktop icons like my computer back?

Leave it as is you will prefer it butit takes at least a day, what did you upgrade from? You will find yourself typing more in windows 7 to open things, it even has a proper shell if your into that kind of thing... Click on the libraries icon, or your name, or just type documents into the start menu. You have public and private documents, combined into libraries

HOLA443

been on xp for about the past 6 years on classic settings , only upgraded because i intent to hike total ram up to 4 gig soonish

thanks for tips one other thing where is add/remove program tool nowdays? i imagine theres something that does the same thing but with a totally different name

HOLA444

been on xp for about the past 6 years on classic settings , only upgraded because i intent to hike total ram up to 4 gig soonish

I used to run classic settings, make the leap it will be worth it. You can disable all the gui goodness but it wont really give you a performance boost anymore and make the machine harder to use.

HOLA445

thanks for tips one other thing where is add/remove program tool nowdays? i imagine theres something that does the same thing but with a totally different name

Its been renamed to programs and features, open the control panel or just type into the start bar

HOLA446

only upgraded because i intent to hike total ram up to 4 gig soonish

XP can address almost 4Gb of RAM anyway so you're probably not gonna gain a lot in terms of power. 4Gb of RAM is a limitation of the 32-bit addressing architecture and not OS-specific. Think I've got about 3.75Gb of RAM visible on my 4Gb XP machine at home.

mspL4

HOLA447
HOLA448

Add/Remove Programs is now Programs and Features

HOLA449

Click empty bit of desktop hit F3.

Also how do you get normal start menu Right-click start bar along bottom, properties, should be in there somewhere for start menu.

, control panels and desktop icons like my computer back?

Display properties box in ctrl panel, right-click desktop properties, somewhere, im not in front of win7

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Errrr buy a Mac ?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

4Gb of RAM is a limitation of the 32-bit addressing architecture and not OS-specific.

Modern 32-bit x86 CPUs can handle 128GB (I think) so long as the operating system does. 32-bit Linux supports the full address range, but you have to buy a server version of Windows if you want that support from Microsoft.

Obviously each 32-bit application can only access 4GB, but it can only access 4GB in a 64-bit OS too, and it can be any 4GB chunk of that 128GB.

HOLA4414

Errrr buy a Mac ?

How will that help him get his "normal start menu , control panels and desktop icons like my computer back"?

Switching to a totally unfamiliar OS would only compound the problem.

Personally I think the standard response to the "buy a Mac" argument should be "fine, as long as you wire me the price difference between that an a similarly specified PC".

HOLA4415

How will that help him get his "normal start menu , control panels and desktop icons like my computer back"?

Switching to a totally unfamiliar OS would only compound the problem.

Personally I think the standard response to the "buy a Mac" argument should be "fine, as long as you wire me the price difference between that an a similarly specified PC".

I thought that deliberately inflammatory remark might bring a few PC vs Mac types out of the woodwork. I have a PC at home and a Mac at work so I'm bi-curious. :)

HOLA4416

Archived