House Price Crash Forum

I tell you, the hit series 'Friends' has a lot to answer for with it's vision of open plan living making tens of thousands of wanna be renovators decide that turning living rooms into big room with kitchinette is ok or turning a perfectly good shaped bedroom or living room into an awkward space by adding another room in somewhere.

This is so common place now i get rather angry when i see something advertised as a two bed flat then realise all they have done is decide that the kitchen was big enough to put a sofa in and call 'urban living', rooms in modern flats being bloody pokey enough to begin with.

sigh!

I think 'open plan living' sums up the mentality of the boom years and the gullible-ness of the UK population.

Somewhere, someone at Barratts or Persimmon came up with an idea. He said "We will build our smallest houses and only put in half the internal walls. People can walk freely between the kitchen and living room without needing to aim for the 3 foot gap that we know as a door. We will put in some mock granite work tops and the cheapest laminate we can lay our hands on and kit out the bathroom with a basic white suite. We'll call it 'Urban Living' or some other ****** and people will lap them up. They may even buy them before they are built at ever increasing prices"

This bloke should have been kicked into touch, but they humoured him and built a few. Now these 'modern homes' are all over the UK and people are kitting them out with a DFS 3 piece leather suite and the biggest LCD screen their credit card limit will allow.

:rolleyes:

I have seen it and done it. :(

Like many things in life, home and at work....the people that design them, have never lived them or used them....no one thinks of asking the people that have to use their products or systems, they do not create them for the users good they create them for their own good and their own profit.......I think people should have a chance to live in a property or have the chance to use a system for two weeks before they commit themselves to the undertaking of purchase or use. ;)

I have seen it and done it. :(

I am sure open plan living is great if you are single and living on your own, but, for us, it was unbearable. The set-up of the property (a rental) limited what we could do and when; many open plan flats with mezzanine bedrooms (there are loads around us) are like living in one room -- no barrier to noise, light, smell, moisture, pets ...

So if one of us was working, the other couldn't watch TV. If one of us was cooking, the other couldn't go for a quick snooze. You would have to stop a film in order to make tea because you couldn't hear the dialogue over the kettle. The washing machine had to go on while we were both out .. we had to plan our free time around whether or not the other wanted to do something that made noise or, at night, light.

The thing that doubly bugged me is that so many of these places are designed by people who do not think about what people actually need -- nowhere to put a vacuum cleaner and a mop and bucket, nowhere for a clothes horse .... one development near us converted a mill into open plan "apartments" at £250K each and forgot to allow space in the "open plan" kitchen for a washing machine so everyone had to trail down to the basement to the "laundry". And the lack of walls make it really hard to place furniture (as one wall always had a radiator on it).

The only place we ever saw that attempted to solve some of these problem was one where the mezzanine bedroom had wooden screens you could pull across to act as a fourth wall -- the only problem with this was that they framed each side of these screens in ... glass bricks.

:D

So, yes, you could go to bed if your other half stayed up to watch TV or a film, but you'd still get the flicker of the screen coming into the bedroom.

Agree 100% with all that. Personally I want DOORS - to shut off noise, cooking smells, mess, other people (sometimes).

Another super-trendy thing I can't see the point of is freestanding baths - often hugely expensive, too. Maybe they look nice in Homes and Gardens spreads, but there is never anywhere to put anything - soap, shampoo, conditioner, sponge, whatever.

Come to that, I've seen quite a few 'beautiful' bathrooms where there isn't even anywhere next to the super-stylish basin to put toothpaste and brush.

Agree 100% with all that. Personally I want DOORS - to shut off noise, cooking smells, mess, other people (sometimes).

Another super-trendy thing I can't see the point of is freestanding baths - often hugely expensive, too. Maybe they look nice in Homes and Gardens spreads, but there is never anywhere to put anything - soap, shampoo, conditioner, sponge, whatever.

Come to that, I've seen quite a few 'beautiful' bathrooms where there isn't even anywhere next to the super-stylish basin to put toothpaste and brush.

How practical is that.....another case of the people that design them have never used them, in my mind they don't even look nicer that a common-or-garden tried and tested, good for purpose, practical bath.

Open plan means move the kitchen into the lounge - voila an extra double bedroom. One bedroom flat becomes two double bedroom flat and it is instantly worth more and that's what adding value is all about. Definition of a double bedroom - a room that you can fit a double bed into even if it touches all of the walls and you can't close the door.

+1

+1

Ohhhhhh, don't get me started on bathrooms. :lol:

I have rented new places where there is nowhere to fix a mirror above the sink, fix a toilet roll holder or put towels. I currently live in a house where the builders fixed a bathroom cabinet to the wall above the sink ... except the builder was probably about six foot four and fixed it so his face was smack bang in the middle of mirror on the front. I can't see into the damn thing even when I stand on a folding step. :D

You know what really narks me to the point of distraction? When developers try to save costs by fitting an ordinary mixer tap on a bath rather than putting in a mixer tap fixture that also has a shower attachment. This basically means that I can't rinse my hair over the bath after I've dyed it, rinse out the bath after I have used it or cleaned it, or rinse myself down after I have had a bath, or wash the cat. AND because it is a mixer tap, I can't even get one of those rubber shower pipe things that fits over the tap.

And roll-top baths ... the amount of gunk and crap that collects underneath a roll-top bath is horrible.

And you know what else really drives me mad? Mosaic tiling in small showers and bathrooms. Mosaic tiling means double the amount of grout, and double the amount of grout in a small confined bath or shower room with a dumb minute ventilator means double the obvious mould, staining and mildew on the grout ... no matter what I did in one place, I couldn't shift the staining on the grout and I was terrified they were going to use it to dock my deposit because it was so visible. Eventually, I had to buy special mould and mildew remover (which was nearly £5 a bottle) to get rid of the damn stuff.

Ohhh, my travails in the noughties rental sector .... all open plan rubbish with electric heaters and whatnot that cost a fortune and you burn a piece of toast and end up having dreams the house is on fire. :rolleyes:

I think the worst is when the rental agent told me in one property I was vacating that I had to wash the curtains. So I did, and they shrank .... by about a foot.

Cue moving into new rental property and sending half the night re-hemming the curtains from the old place so they wouldn't dock the deposit.

And people wonder why home ownership is such a big thing for Brits. :lol:

What the hell is going on Here looks like the Bathroom is in the living room and the

Bedroom as well.

BS

According to the detail there is a downstairs WC and an upstairs bathroom.

A bit daft for a 2 bed really, like all these 2 bed flats popping up with a master ensuite.