House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tiger Woods?

Abc News Last Night - 20 Year Bear Market

Was watching the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) main news last night. Towards the end of the stockmarket report, that usually just discusses the rise and fall of international markets and details of what happened on the ASX and commodities, the presenter, apropos of absolutely nothing, popped up a graph of a few 20 year bearmarkets with the current ASX, since 2000, mapped over them. He then went on to suggest that we are halfway through a 20 year bear market and normally about this time we see another big drop and little recovery for 10 years...and now to the sport.

I thought I had slipped through a worm-hole into a parallel universe or something. This was the usual reporter on mainstream news, not an interview with some pundit. Very surreal.

Goes to show that at least the ABC hasn't completely bent over for the government like the BBC. (Though if I see one more MMGW show on the ABC I'd going to throw a brick through the telly. It is the only thing they talk about. School TV seems to be nothing but hour after hour on global warming.)

Edited by Tiger Woods?

Goes to show that at least the ABC hasn't completely bent over for the government like the BBC.

I think the power of talking things up in the media is really having a huge effect in the UK. I've met people convinced we've had a good weather summer and one the other day who said that's what they've been saying on the telly, ah ha i thought, had to be that really as it's been pretty crap in reality. Same with house prices and the economy, keep saying everything is fine and everything will keep bubbling along. And it does. Most house sales must be longer term home owners with equity selling overpriced higher end houses to others with equity, no one new needs to enter that market and it stays unchanged on the MoMs. The rest of us who are unwilling or unable to take part are irrelevant to the numbers as are those with the lower end houses who would be selling to first time buyers but can't move up as there are none except a few bank of mum and daders who can afford the over pricing and basically the house prices appear to stay the same. The effect of BS is very real. High house prices are still deemed to be a good thing by this government (or fear of a fall is great) and the media have decided likewise (lets face it BBC reporters haven't been priced out so will be in this up to their vested necks) I don't think they need any persuading.

I think the power of talking things up in the media is really having a huge effect in the UK.

Nothing new!

The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.

Joseph Goebbels 1941

Nothing new!

The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.

Joseph Goebbels 1941

:lol: I reckon Joe was on to something there.