House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Return Of Deposit

How come letting agencies get away with not returning deposits on departure day. After all, they insist on deposit and 1st months rent BEFORE letting tenant onto property, so why cannot final inspection be done on last day. I believe they have a staggering 28 days to return deposits by law.

The inspection is done on the last day normally by an independent third party who needs to match the check-out against the check-in and then see if any mismatch is 'fair wear and tear'.

In a fair and ideal world that is exactly what should happen, but unfortunately, reality is a little different.

How come letting agencies get away with not returning deposits on departure day. After all, they insist on deposit and 1st months rent BEFORE letting tenant onto property, so why cannot final inspection be done on last day. I believe they have a staggering 28 days to return deposits by law.

I assumed it was because they usually want to see proof that utility bills and CT are paid, and you usually need to give the utility company a final meter reading on the day before it can happen.

And also, letting agents are not good people.

I assumed it was because they usually want to see proof that utility bills and CT are paid,

These bills are nothing to do with the letting agents and cannot be used as a reason not to return the deposit

tim

These bills are nothing to do with the letting agents and cannot be used as a reason not to return the deposit

tim

Is that true even if the AST specifically mentions the tennant is liable for these things?

Is that true even if the AST specifically mentions the tennant is liable for these things?

Yes

It's none of the LL's business anymore than whether you pay the milk bill

tim