House Price Crash Forum

I could get really narked by this: income support, housing benefit, probably council tax benefit, probably got children and starting a college course in September.

Jeez, I wish someone would pay my rent, give me a weekly allowance, and pay my council tax so I could do a college course.

Oooooh, that's right. Sorry, I forgot. I am one of those people who work and have to pay for things themselves. :rolleyes:

My friend tells me' if you have been on hb for a year, ten percent is deducted automatically, perhaps this is it?

I must say these people live in a different world to me and the thread shows how we as a society have two different structures, one for people who take responsibility for their own lives and one for those who dont.

Nevertheless I feel sorry for the anxiety that people will be put through by these (sensible) changes, its a worry to be facing homelessness.

More to the point, there must be a lot of Landlords absolutely pissed off if this example is wide spread. £150 a month shortfall. oops.

Edited by bricor mortis

Just commenting on mortgages in general - ours has fallen from £1050 a month to £300

my house one has from £450 a month interest to £68

So, here's the no 1 reason why the crash is not happening at a proper pace. IRs! As long as they're low, it will continue dragging on for years, if not decades...

Just commenting on mortgages in general - ours has fallen from £1050 a month to £300

So, here's the no 1 reason why the crash is not happening at a proper pace. IRs! As long as they're low, it will continue dragging on for years, if not decades...

I am sure these are interest only mortgages. on a repayment mortgage it would be a much smaller difference in the payments.

Edited by gf3

interest only, clearly, and living on borrowed time as lenders are going to clamp down on this.

I could get really narked by this: income support, housing benefit, probably council tax benefit, probably got children and starting a college course in September.

Jeez, I wish someone would pay my rent, give me a weekly allowance, and pay my council tax so I could do a college course.

Oooooh, that's right. Sorry, I forgot. I am one of those people who work and have to pay for things themselves. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you're no longer eligble for Housing Benefit if you become a full time student. She must be going part time.

I an sure these are interest only mortgages. on a repayment mortgage it would be a much smaller difference in the payments.

It seems to me the Labour were deliberately cultivating and culture of dependency - either through debt or state support. Possibly they had reached the conclusion that each person paying their way simply was not feasible; that it was better to give free reign to 'financial services' and use the debt revenues for handouts to those at the bottom of the pecking order. I have never claimed housing benefit although I have been a single mum more than half of my life but I don't blame those who do. Do those at the bottom of the pile really have a choice? The odds are stacked against them unless they have some kind of special gifts which allows them to earn a high salary. I know some are feckless wasters but life is mostly a lottery - those who win should be grateful not smug.

Oh yes - and w.r.t. their hopes that their landlord might forgive the rent shortfall - only if he/she dines with angels. Most landlords, especially the nouveau riche type, are blood-sucking bastards who sold their souls to the devil long ago. May they roast in hell. (Those sentiments are not controversial but its great to get that off my chest.)

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

Well the main point we need to take here is that her housing benefit is being cut. This is going to be happening to people all across the country and landlords are going to have to cut their rents otherwise they'll be left without a tennant.

You never know, some might even decide to sell up, all good news for us HPCers!

Perhaps she feels if she gets a qualification, she might be able to get off the dole. A lot of "perhaps" in the statements above. At least she is trying to do something with her life

In the end it won't do her any good.............we out of money..........she just have to work the street

:huh::lol:

I've got sunshine

On a cloudy day.

When it's cold outside,

I've got the month of May.

Well, I guess you'll say

What can make me feel this way?

Mega.... (Mega, Mega)

Talkin' 'bout....Mega. (Mega!)

I've got so much honey

The bees envy me.

I've got a sweeter song

Than the birds in the trees.

Well, I guess you'll say

Mega.... (Mega, Mega)

Talkin' 'bout.....Mega. (Mega!)

Ooooh, Hoooo.

Hey, hey, hey.

Hey, hey, hey.

I don't need no money,

Fortune or fame.

I've got all the riches, baby,

One man can claim.

Well, I guess you'll say

Mega..... (Mega, Mega)

Talkin' 'bout.....Mega. (Mega!)

Talkin' bout Mega.

I've got sushine on cloudy day

With Mega!

I've even got the month of May

With Mega.....

Cheer up son ;)

Oh yes - and w.r.t. their hopes that their landlord might forgive the rent shortfall - only if he/she dines with angels.

She can always move to a slightly cheaper place though, she might not like the hassle but it wouldn't exactly be hardship of the railcars and soup kitchens variety.

Gotta love the first post:

I am on income support and supposed to be starting college next month

How about getting a job and start contributing to society instead ?

Edited by exiges

Gotta love the first post:

How about getting a job and start contributing to society instead ?

Sure, and maybe we should send the kids down the mines for a few years before secondary school. Moron.

Perhaps she feels if she gets a qualification, she might be able to get off the dole. A lot of "perhaps" in the statements above. At least she is trying to do something with her life

Unless things have changed muchly, trying to do something with your life is strictly for those of independent means.

I tried to sign on when my business was failing to make money and my savings had run out. I was refused income support, on the grounds that I wasn't properly idle.

Thought that was a similar principle to students having to take loans, as opposed to income support available if they give up trying to improve themselves.

It seems to me the Labour were deliberately cultivating and culture of dependency - either through debt or state support. Possibly they had reached the conclusion that each person paying their way simply was not feasible; that it was better to give free reign to 'financial services' and use the debt revenues for handouts to those at the bottom of the pecking order. I have never claimed housing benefit although I have been a single mum more than half of my life but I don't blame those who do. Do those at the bottom of the pile really have a choice? The odds are stacked against them unless they have some kind of special gifts which allows them to earn a high salary. I know some are feckless wasters but life is mostly a lottery - those who win should be grateful not smug.

Can't think of any other reason for bl00dy tax credis.