House Price Crash Forum

Applying For A Job You Are Over Qualified For

Tonkers

HOLA441

I saw a job today that made me wish I was 15 years younger, but right now, it would suit me fine. Less stress than I am used to, a walk in the park.

I add an enormous amount of value, but how could you persuade them to take me rather than a youngster? How much can you dumb down your CV? I have freelance work currently, but this job is tempting. I can manage on the low wages.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I saw a job today that made me wish I was 15 years younger, but right now, it would suit me fine. Less stress than I am used to, a walk in the park.

I add an enormous amount of value, but how could you persuade them to take me rather than a youngster? How much can you dumb down your CV? I have freelance work currently, but this job is tempting. I can manage on the low wages.

I wouldn't dumb down your cv, make it relevant to the role though, and just put together a well worded covering letter giving good reasons why you want the job and that you will stick at it for a decent length of time.

HOLA444

I wouldn't dumb down your cv, make it relevant to the role though, and just put together a well worded covering letter giving good reasons why you want the job and that you will stick at it for a decent length of time.

I did that recently. Didn't get the courtesy of a reply.

HOLA445

I did that recently. Didn't get the courtesy of a reply.

Also a small industry so there is an element of risk, applying for 'lowlier' posts, in regards to appearances. They certainly don't want to hear that I want a stress free life for a couple of years! Thing is the trade off is very good for the company, but then you can't have the office admin piping up with quarterly forecasts, better profit margins, and hey, I could build that website for you! Tax return? No problem! With that need to deals perhaps frustrating me. Truth is then, there might not be any going back, without brain surgery.

HOLA446

Why dont you find the job you really want?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Many people are overskilled these days, not least the army of graduates who go from grappling weighty intellectual concepts one moment to dishing up burgers and fries the next.

I've known several people over the last few years who've climbed greasy poles and found themselves in 35k+ executive roles only to discover upon losing those jobs that they really have to look many rungs below to get a sniff.

If I lost my average salary job now and needed work in a hurry I'd be under no illusions that 12k might be all I could hope for. It's the brave new world of 75% jobs growth in the lowest paid sectors.

Train everyone to be a rocket scientist and you'd find rocket scientists cleaning toilets.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Many people are overskilled these days, not least the army of graduates who go from grappling weighty intellectual concepts one moment to dishing up burgers and fries the next.

I've known several people over the last few years who've climbed greasy poles and found themselves in 35k+ executive roles only to discover upon losing those jobs that they really have to look many rungs below to get a sniff.

If I lost my average salary job now and needed work in a hurry I'd be under no illusions that 12k might be all I could hope for. It's the brave new world of 75% jobs growth in the lowest paid sectors.

Train everyone to be a rocket scientist and you'd find rocket scientists cleaning toilets.

Yeah also, how many people who get jobs in companies stay at the same level - no management, no encouragement , life is made difficult if they try to move internally in the company- while at the top its musical chairs bosses moving around from position to positions - and letting no one else into their club

HOLA4412
Guest Absolutely Fabulous

That is the point tho' really. We need to be training artisians - plumbers, builders, plasterers, and electricians, instreas of conning everyone that a degree is a must have.

They did this with trainers and golfers T shirts. 'Bout time someone cottoned on that they are being led by the nose.

HOLA4413

It entirely depends on the boss. I have hired two massively over-qualified older (>55) workers. They both stressed in their CVs that they were keen to work in a specific area and were not worried about seniority, pay or promotion. On paper they might have had an outside chance of my job but that didn't put me off.

I grilled them both very heavily in interview and they convinced me that they actually wanted the job for itself, not as a short-term fix.

They are both excellent, one has been in place for two years and is happy to stay there.

The one factor that would have stopped me from taking them on would be a history of illness, but that would equally apply to a young person.

Archived