House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DisQ

Gloom Of 2010 In One Statistic: 221 Apprenticeships And 24,000 Apply

Sign of the times.

24,000 apply for BT apprenticeships

By Jamie Grierson, PA

Telecoms group BT today said it is considering increasing its number of apprenticeship places after an unprecedented demand for the scheme.

The company had nearly 24,000 applications for the 221 apprenticeship places available this year - more than 100 applications per place.

More young people applied for the positions on the programme - which offers an annual salary of £11,000 to £14,000 - than the total applications to Oxford University, which attracted 17,000 applications for its 3,000 undergraduate places.

Today, the firm said it is considering taking advantage of this demand for the scheme, especially in light of its plans to introduce faster, fibre broadband across the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/24000-apply-for-bt-apprenticeships-2053787.html

They should take advantage of this by taking on twice as many applicants at half the wage.

Edited by Tonkers

not reallllly though

they're a nationwide, high-value well-known company, and they advertised an unspecificed number of apprenticeships to cover the general areas of IT, customer service, and telecommunications, which would cover a lot of fields/jobs/careers, plus they made the application process online so a lot more immediate to do / easier to apply on impulse than the old letter-writing shizzle, plus 10-15k is a bloody lot for a school-leaver, i didn't get 15k in my first graduate job (1998). And it's not like it's the only apprenticeship scheme in town

It would have been depressing if only 200 had applied. Then we'd know the country was ******ed because they all wanted to be estate agents or big brother contestants instead.

Stop making bad news where there's none to see.

not reallllly though

they're a nationwide, high-value well-known company, and they advertised an unspecificed number of apprenticeships to cover the general areas of IT, customer service, and telecommunications, which would cover a lot of fields/jobs/careers, plus they made the application process online so a lot more immediate to do / easier to apply on impulse than the old letter-writing shizzle, plus 10-15k is a bloody lot for a school-leaver, i didn't get 15k in my first graduate job (1998). And it's not like it's the only apprenticeship scheme in town

It would have been depressing if only 200 had applied. Then we'd know the country was ******ed because they all wanted to be estate agents or big brother contestants instead.

Stop making bad news where there's none to see.

1998 was 12 years ago. Any idea what kind of lifestyle £10k gross pa buys you in 2010?

1998 was 12 years ago. Any idea what kind of lifestyle £10k gross pa buys you in 2010?

when you're 16/17, all the drink and new toys you can handle. £200-300 in your pocket, cos it'll hardly be touched by tax, £50 a week to your mum. Shit, they'll have more spare cash than I do. These are apprenticeships, not mid-career postings.

They won't either. According to the article the maximum on offer is £14k pa.

You haven't read the article, or you'd have grasped these are apprenticeships for schooleavers, if they were for graduates, they wouldn't also advertise one of the benefits as being able to study towards a degree for free. They do give the opportunity to earn 10-15k while you study for a degree or another qualification --> http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/CareerStart-Apprentices/WhatdoIget/index.htm

Je5u5 - I was on 10K in 1992 and I actually earned more like 16K in 1992/1993 because of company performance related bonuses.

BT was offering 16K on the milk round in 1992... I got selected for interview but they'd capped the number of places and didn't get called up.

This apprenticeship scheme is for school leavers I suppose, not grads.

You'd hope the grad salary was a little higher...

Kind of suggests we're roling over the top of the debt-fuelled "progressive society".

Edited by AvidFan

yeah but think of the 500 CV readers and waste bin movers they HAVE employed.

and would there be demand for this "high speed broadband" which would obviously carry a high premium in worst recession of our time when people are looking to save £££. Its going to fail.

As a 'customer' of BT I have nothing but contempt for them.

Nor have I been impressed by their performence as an employer. From what I have heard, their management style is a conflicted mixture of oppression and loose supervision.

They have been a part of the private sector for a long time now and if that has any relevence, they should be doing better.

It is very sad then, that such an employer should attract so many applications. Our employers realy are failing young people by failing to train and instead, buying in labour from abroad.

I would really like to know how many people were recruited at this level twenty years ago.

As a 'customer' of BT I have nothing but contempt for them.

Nor have I been impressed by their performence as an employer. From what I have heard, their management style is a conflicted mixture of oppression and loose supervision.

They have been a part of the private sector for a long time now and if that has any relevence, they should be doing better.

It is very sad then, that such an employer should attract so many applications. Our employers realy are failing young people by failing to train and instead, buying in labour from abroad.

I would really like to know how many people were recruited at this level twenty years ago.

I agree.

I had their bb + 2 lines package for over 5 yrs, the worst I have to say, was paying 5x more what I am paying now minus a line. I am glad I switched when I did.

221 apprenticeships and 24,000 apply - new

Mod please del/merge as above

Sounds about right, if you advertise a job it normally produce 100 applicants... 221 jobs producing 24k is a similar ratio, although Im sure it wasnt what HR had in mind...

yeah but think of the 500 CV readers and waste bin movers they HAVE employed.

I hear the bloke operating the shredder collapsed and died...

I spot a Nu Liebour voter. :rolleyes:

Lib Dem. Change through Coalition.

I probably stick out on here because I'm not one of the marvin the paranoid android types who think everything's absolutely awful and it's only ever going to get worse, I mean really, what's the point of trying when we're all so insignificant and worthless and look, look over there, next to the silver lining, yes, it's a cloud, a cloud that's going to rain and rain and rain - did i tell you how utterly and totally hopeless everything is, even this?

marvin.jpg

221 apprenticeships and 24,000 apply - new

Mod please del/merge as above

Apprenticeships have long be under valued! It's actually nice to see people/companies realising the potential.

Many jobs have "Graduate Only" stamped on them, but after interviewing lots of grad's that expected HUGE wages and failed the simplest of technical tests etc.

We took on an apprentice and even only after a small amount of time/training (And minimal cost) is MORE productive than at least 1/2 dozen of the formerly employed (£1200 p/w) contractors we have had over the years.....AND still very happy to do the grunt work to boot!, and all without the air of "That's not my role".

I'd expect to see this trend continue, often "Real World" training makes you more employable in the "Real World" It's just the HR trained graduates with big mortgages get twitchy about their own roles when they realise a 18K per year temp could do their 35K job better!