House Price Crash Forum
aa3

Maybe The Banks Is All We Need?

I want to put something in comparison.. the global revenues of our big 4 super banks, versus the production from the North Sea oil. The North Sea oil is 2 million barrels per day, at 80$ a barrel. = annual value at 58.4 billion dollars.

Now look at the revenues of the super banks:

Lloyds/Hbos: 102,967

RBS: 91,767

Barclays: 66,533

HSBC: 103,736

Total of the big 4: 364.8 billion dollars.

Do you know how big these banks are going to get with the development going on in the developing world. In ASEAN which has 600 million people, in Latin America with 700 million people, in the new middle east with has to be like 300 or 400 million.

Compared with Britain which has 62 million people. I mean in the developing world 100 million people is a rounding error.

But most of the developing world banks don't have the capacity to go as big as our banks. Like they can't back 2 billion USD projects easily, our banks can no sweat. I'm talking for railroads, power plants, mass residential developments, commercial blocks, oil and gas, mining etc..

You look in a lot of these developing nations and credit card penetration is under 10%, the mortgage market is only 12% of gdp, compared to closer to 100% in the oecd nations, and on top of that these developing nations are growing at 6-10% a year.

I want to put something in comparison.. the global revenues of our big 4 super banks, versus the production from the North Sea oil. The North Sea oil is 2 million barrels per day, at 80$ a barrel. = annual value at 58.4 billion dollars.

Do you know how big these banks are going to get with the development going on in the developing world. In ASEAN which has 600 million people, in Latin America with 700 million people, in the new middle east with has to be like 300 or 400 million.

Compared with Britain which has 62 million people. I mean in the developing world 100 million people is a rounding error.

But most of the developing world banks don't have the capacity to go as big as our banks. Like they can't back 2 billion USD projects easily, our banks can no sweat. I'm talking for railroads, power plants, mass residential developments, commercial blocks, oil and gas, mining etc..

You look in a lot of these developing nations and credit card penetration is under 10%, the mortgage market is only 12% of gdp, compared to closer to 100% in the oecd nations, and on top of that these developing nations are growing at 6-10% a year.

Sorry, bankers only make money out of Ponzi schemes. Collecting savings and investing them in production for a cut and return to savers would be way to hard.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

So what you're saying is, we should embrace the opportunity to profit from making the other 2/3 of humanity into debt slaves?

Can't these other countries just do what the US does and invent as much money as they need for their own projects?

Why is that American military budget so big?

Those revenues are:

- based on fraudulent accounting of assets

- driven by parasitic activities (record net lending margins, unfair bank charges)

- they don't account for the support we gave the banks and the ongoing cuts we'll have to endure as a result

Besides, these are global banks. They will domicile wherever they pay the least tax. And they won't hesitate shifting operations and employment eastwards if that's where the money is

Here's a revolutionary thought - let's raze them to the ground instead. And replace them with non-fraudy non-parasitic lending institutions instead

Concentrates a heck of a lot of power/wealth in just four big organisations should be a big concern. Already they have arguably captured democracy and the regulators.

The largest banks are Chinese - the ICBC (by profit) and I think Agricultural bank of china has the largest market cap (or it is ICBC also with the largest market cap).

Projects can be financed via capital markets or by government subsidy. Most Asean countries have banking regulations that prevent/or restrict the operation of foreign banks.

HSBC is technically a UK bank (HQ here) although it derives about half of its profits from HK and surrounding..

Total Boll*x...if you add ALL taxes paid by ALL of the above over last 10 years and then subtract the cost of the bailout, then the banks still owe the taxpayer money. Modern banking is a fraud. Just as you can't build an economy on real estate, you can't build an economy on banking. In reality we'd be better off if all the above were broken up into much smaller units and their activities heavily regulated.

Those revenues are:

- based on fraudulent accounting of assets

- driven by parasitic activities (record net lending margins, unfair bank charges)

- they don't account for the support we gave the banks and the ongoing cuts we'll have to endure as a result

Besides, these are global banks. They will domicile wherever they pay the least tax. And they won't hesitate shifting operations and employment eastwards if that's where the money is

Here's a revolutionary thought - let's raze them to the ground instead. And replace them with non-fraudy non-parasitic lending institutions instead

+1. Hmmm, luv it, music to my ears. I'd also like to see top managment from the last 10 years imprisoned and all their assests confiscated, and a 90% retrospective tax going back 10 years on all bonuses, payable immeadiately, with interest. Compound interest.

+1. Hmmm, luv it, music to my ears. I'd also like to see top managment from the last 10 years imprisoned and all their assests confiscated, and a 90% retrospective tax going back 10 years on all bonuses, payable immeadiately, with interest. Compound interest.

I think thats where the Bail out money went to in the first place...its only fair we get it back.

Hong Kong and shanghai banking corporation is a UK company I'm surprised

hsbc

Edited by gf3

Lol, I love it when you put your head above the parapet aa3!

Incoming!

It's actually rather good. Obviously a troll, but also an argument that the City and its apologists put in all seriousness, if not quite so clearly/succinctly/blatently.

Like Iceland.

So what you're saying is, we should embrace the opportunity to profit from making the other 2/3 of humanity into debt slaves?

Can't these other countries just do what the US does and invent as much money as they need for their own projects?

Why is that American military budget so big?

For a lot of these nations they actually cannot invent the money and build their own projects(depending on the project). Any part of the project that requires importing foreign made parts. Like electrical machinery for the electrical system. Because those require a hard currency to buy.

The US can simply create its own money becausae it can make 100% of the project internally. From the Catepilar construction equipment, to the turbines, to the substation equipment.

The debt slave is pretty much what we do. Unfortunately it seems there is two sides to debt. One I lend you money for a piece of capital equipment for your enterprise. You use the equipment itself to pay back the loan on the equipment. Virtuous. Then there is consumer debt to buy things that are not capital. Then you have to go out into the economy and get the money to pay me back plus interest.

For a lot of these nations they actually cannot invent the money and build their own projects(depending on the project). Any part of the project that requires importing foreign made parts. Like electrical machinery for the electrical system. Because those require a hard currency to buy.

The US can simply create its own money becausae it can make 100% of the project internally. From the Catepilar construction equipment, to the turbines, to the substation equipment.

The debt slave is pretty much what we do. Unfortunately it seems there is two sides to debt. One I lend you money for a piece of capital equipment for your enterprise. You use the equipment itself to pay back the loan on the equipment. Virtuous. Then there is consumer debt to buy things that are not capital. Then you have to go out into the economy and get the money to pay me back plus interest.

So your argument is that you don't deserve a decent standard of lviing but the banks can steal you one, therefore we should support the banks?

Has a certain pragmatic charm, I guess.

Capital is the basis of lending and money creation. Last I checked, china had real capital while western banks had zilch, lying about their capital using derivatives and accounting fudges.

We do not own the intellectual property on money creation. While the USD is the reserve currency for now, it won't be for long. And bankers are moveable. The only thing the UK has going for it as a global banking hub is its location and language. If there is any real advantage to banking activities, the east will copy the west, rather than allowing western economies the fruits of this labour

Sorry, bankers only make money out of Ponzi schemes. Collecting savings and investing them in production for a cut and return to savers would be way to hard.

You still haven't worked it out yet have you?

Vulture's don't kill. They feed on a carcass.

Why did the carcass become a carcass?

Capital is the basis of lending and money creation. Last I checked, china had real capital while western banks had zilch, lying about their capital using derivatives and accounting fudges.

We do not own the intellectual property on money creation. While the USD is the reserve currency for now, it won't be for long. And bankers are moveable. The only thing the UK has going for it as a global banking hub is its location and language. If there is any real advantage to banking activities, the east will copy the west, rather than allowing western economies the fruits of this labour

And here we go...

http://www.bankingtimes.co.uk/16082010-uk-corporate-borrowers-look-east/

UK corporate borrowers look East

by Gill Montia

Story link: UK corporate borrowers look East

UK and European corporate borrowers are beginning to consider the Asia-Pacific (A-P) markets to seek finance, according to a new report from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).

The accountancy firm suggests that Asian banks are increasing the scope of their lending and expanding market share as European lenders face a continued liquidity squeeze.

You still haven't worked it out yet have you?

Vulture's don't kill. They feed on a carcass.

quite so - and excellent point.

Why did the carcass become a carcass?

its far easier to scream at vultures than do an actual autopsy. ofc when you scream at vultures they just flap off to the nearest tree and stare at you from it with their dead eyes. Then they come back.

There's a body needs burying because its beginning to stink the place up. Its worth doing the autopsy first though.

quite so - and excellent point.

its far easier to scream at vultures than do an actual autopsy. ofc when you scream at vultures they just flap off to the nearest tree and stare at you from it with their dead eyes. Then they come back.

There's a body needs burying because its beginning to stink the place up. Its worth doing the autopsy first though.

We need Quincy - or maybe Sq-Quincy.

We need Quincy - or maybe Sq-Quincy.

hah yes. But please, this is the 21st century alan:

csi-stars.jpg

Meanwhile we'll have to make do with the usual parade of ambulance chasers and staters of the bleeding obvious.