House Price Crash Forum
Pauly_Boy

A-Level Students Face A Bleak Life

I'm glad I'm a few years past 18, but if you don't go to uni you'll probably end up on the dole, if you do go you end up on the dole in 3 years almost £25k in debt, and people wonder why there is so much boomer bashing? :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/class-of-2010-faces-higher-hurdles-for-college-places-and-uncertain-job-market-2053631.html

I'm glad I'm a few years past 18, but if you don't go to uni you'll probably end up on the dole, if you do go you end up on the dole in 3 years almost £25k in debt, and people wonder why there is so much boomer bashing?  :rolleyes:

http://www.independe...et-2053631.html

How is this the fault of the "boomers"? What are "boomers"? 

I'm glad I'm a few years past 18, but if you don't go to uni you'll probably end up on the dole, if you do go you end up on the dole in 3 years almost £25k in debt, and people wonder why there is so much boomer bashing? :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/class-of-2010-faces-higher-hurdles-for-college-places-and-uncertain-job-market-2053631.html

hahah you moron. I suppose those bankers on 1m+ a year who you no doubt hate skipped uni eh?

25k is peanuts.

hahah you moron. I suppose those bankers on 1m+ a year who you no doubt hate skipped uni eh?

25k is peanuts.

On what planet?

I bet there's 10 times more unemployed graduates than there are entering the city.

Even on average graduate salary that's quote a burden to start your productive working life with, no?

How is this the fault of the "boomers"? What are "boomers"? 

Because they were in charge making the decision? The fact they benefitted from free education that now requires such hideous fees to be paid by their children is probably a coincidence

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THAT IT IS THEIR RIGHT TO GO TO UNI ?

Well, if they misspell 'bleak' in such a jarring manner, it's no wonder they're not wanted. :P

I smell pressure-group spin here. Didn't someone post some figures a couple of days ago: they have means-tested grants of up to about £3k, and that's on parental income up to £25k!

That's pretty-much back to glory-days (let's call it boomer-era) grants. Indeed, quite a lot better than then, in that means-testing doesn't kick in until the parents' assessed earnings are at least above average.

Yes, the fees are a crucial difference. That would account for something in the £9-10k ballpark for debt on a like-for-like comparison. Not £25k. Someone is spinning furiously!

Unless you can convince me otherwise?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

25k is peanuts.

If I ever find you, I'm going to make you eat 25k in used fivers without water.

And after each mouthful I'm going to ask you if you'd like water with your peanuts.

Some girl on the news this morning was asking why she wasn't getting in as she had two A grades. Well dear, I had four advanced highers and several highers - there's a lot of competition out there and two A-levels may not cut it.

I'm glad I'm not the only miserable, nit-picking s o d left.

I mean, for f u c k's sake - BLEEK!

Is it not possible for people, somewhere between the ages of 5 and 21, to be taught how to spell 5 letter words?

Be fair, I'm sure he knows the four letter ones.

I'm glad I'm not the only miserable, nit-picking s o d left.

I mean, for f u c k's sake - BLEEK!

Is it not possible for people, somewhere between the ages of 5 and 21, to be taught how to spell 5 letter words?

+1

If I ever find you, I'm going to make you eat 25k in used fivers without water.

And after each mouthful I'm going to ask you if you'd like water with your peanuts.

Good luck trying to get your hands on 25k worth of fivers.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THAT IT IS THEIR RIGHT TO GO TO UNI ?

What choice do they feel they have? When companies are requesting a degree qualification for you to be a runner or make the tea? These used to be a way in for those who chose not to go to university but wanted to learn on the job, preferable in many cases I think.

Sending every Tom, Dick and Harriet to university is not social mobility, nor has it apparently increased the nation's intelligence or wealth generation.

What choice do they feel they have? When companies are requesting a degree qualification for you to be a runner or make the tea? These used to be a way in for those who chose not to go to university but wanted to learn on the job, preferable in many cases I think.

Sending every Tom, Dick and Harriet to university is not social mobility, nor has it apparently increased the nation's intelligence or wealth generation.

Exactly, degrees are now required for even the most basic jobs now and Masters qualifications are now needed for jobs that a degree used to be good enough for. Not quite sure what this means for PhD's as no one seems to take these seriously any more.

We would be in a far better position if only the most academically gifted went to University to train to be Dr's, Lawyers, scientists and the like and everyone else got jobs which provided the training. This would be affordable and would be a far better route into work for most.

Exactly, degrees are now required for even the most basic jobs now and Masters qualifications are now needed for jobs that a degree used to be good enough for. Not quite sure what this means for PhD's as no one seems to take these seriously any more.

We would be in a far better position if only the most academically gifted went to University to train to be Dr's, Lawyers, scientists and the like and everyone else got jobs which provided the training. This would be affordable and would be a far better route into work for most.

+1

I am also concerned that it has devalued those who did not go to university and learnt on the job, and took a lot of time getting self taught off their own backs. Why should they now be discredited for making, what is, a wise decision? Earn while you learn, seems sensible to me.

the richest people I know never went to any form of further education

6 kids in my family and its only my brother with the degree

thats on the dole

Why do we all seem to need to retire later? Could start earlier?

In the late eighties it was till pretty normal to leave school at 16 and get a job. Friends I had were moving in to their first flats at 18. Even doing A levels wasn't seen as essential. I also traded my labour for extra training. There is great benefit to training on the job, and not having your head filled with silly expectations. To get yourself trained you had to be quick witted, keen and persistent, and the world did not owe you a living.

Only one friend of mine went to university, and that was to learn Russian.

Edited by Tonkers

+1

It is a symptom of the ever-increasing rate of youth unemployment. There are probably only 6 or 7 jobs for every 10 young Britons, and that's including NMW McJobs. If you want one of them, you better have something that puts you in the top 60-70% of the pile because they are certainly not short of applicants. If it means paying a university £25k for a degree certificate, so be it.

+1

It is a symptom of the ever-increasing rate of youth unemployment. There are probably only 6 or 7 jobs for every 10 young Britons, and that's including NMW McJobs. If you want one of them, you better have something that puts you in the top 60-70% of the pile because they are certainly not short of applicants. If it means paying a university £25k for a degree certificate, so be it.

Oh nonsense

overqualified people aint wanted as the employer knows

they will be offski at the 1st opportunity

In the unlikely event of my ever employing anyone again (I've done it before and it really isn't worth the hassle) - I'm afraid I would take absolutely no notice of qualifications and ask candidates to take literacy and numeracy tests.

Only after establishing that they are literate and numerate to a reasonable level would I consider interviewing them to establish if they were the right person for the job.

Nonsense , there are heaps of jobs you can get with a bachelor in fine arts degree.

Arts teacher for example , after you get the teaching degree on top of course :lol:

In all seriousness though this will lead to a massive increase in the number of youth suicides , pretty sad really.

Nonsense , there are heaps of jobs you can get with a bachelor in fine arts degree.

Arts teacher for example , after you get the teaching degree on top of course :lol:

In all seriousness though this will lead to a massive increase in the number of youth suicides , pretty sad really.

I would also like to know what this thing about uni being a right of passage, where teens grow up, learn to live on their own, make friends for life, have a good time...

I did all of those things without going to uni, lived in my first flat on my own at 17...

Report for reprogramming and stop talking sense.