House Price Crash Forum

Mary Ann Sieghart: House Prices Are Finally Falling. Good

OnlyMe

HOLA441

Newspaper prints truth??

um... I don't understand.... what's happening? I've never seen this before.

Papers have turned.

Radio has turned, even saying HPI is bad for many.

EAs are starting to ask media to stop ramping.

[most]Buyers/Neutrals have known the score for a while.

If the banks come clean and admit what they know and starting marking down their mortgage 'assets'...

...it will just leave sellers stubbornly marching out of step with everybody else.

How long can they hold out in glorious isolation?

Well, anyway if they won't cut their prices we can all have fun taunting them :P

Edited by xux42

HOLA442

In 1982 I had what I would describe as an average job - I was earning about 12k.

I was working in London at the time and I had just given up contracting to take a permanent position. Which (I guess) is why I noticed and remember the boards outside the recruitment offices up there. Office temps were being offered £5 an hour and I remember thinking there wasn't much of a differential between what they were getting and what I was getting (before I went permanent).

Which is a point I have been making on this board for some years now - wage inflation for those in semi-skilled jobs (like office admin, driving etc.) have hardly gone up in what is now approaching 30 years. I remember the adverts on the backs of buses in the early 80s - become a bus driver and earn £240 a week.

I saw an advert not long ago on the back of a bus in Reading - wages were £320 as far as I can remember.

Some mistake surely? 1982 - average job/wage - £12k?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Independant newspapers was recently sold to a Russian businessman. His vested interests are not the same as the previous owners :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8587469.stm

Thanks for that link and info. Didn't know that.

What it means, and why, is still tough to understand though. But as suspicious as I am of Oligarchs etc, at least some sense is being said in this article.

TBH there's more sense in this one Sieghart article than in years of BBC or Murdoch coverage.

HOLA448

EAs are starting to ask media to stop ramping.

Though I agree with your broad point, this is an odd way of putting it.

At least 75% of 'media ramping' is reporting of EA quotes [edit: and articles based around EA press releases]. If the EAs want to stop media ramping, all they need to do is stop providing bullish quotes!

Edited by Selling up

HOLA449

This sort of news (cheering HPC) seem to be global now. ..maybe it is a sign that the demographic changeover is happening.

An important point.

With every passing year, the proportion of votors who would benefit from lower house prices increases. Before long they will form the majority.

I'm not just talking about potential first-time buyers; many middle-aged mortgage free parents like myself would also like to see lower prices so that our kids have the same opportunities that we did. The value of our own house is an irrelevence to us personally as we do not plan on ever selling it.

The historic received wisdom that HPI = Votes is about to be reversed. I'm sure that the politicians have done the maths. Could it be that a HPC over the next few years could actually be a vote winner for the ConDems?

Edited by Mr Yogi