House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vaevictus

What New Technologies Could Get Us Out Of This Mess?

I was thinking that if tomorrow someone announced that they had cracked nuclear fusion, that there would be such huge consequences for society that this game-changing event could bring us out of this mess, or at least delay the pain further.

So, free or almost free energy aside, what other technological advancements would make you go balls deep in stocks or property to ride the next wave up?

My list so far: room temperature superconductors

sustainable nuclear fusion

cheap carbon based nanomaterials (could make construction costs for houses so cheap that current land values would be cheap)

cure for cancer (massive increases to average lifespan

irobot style robotics

I was thinking that if tomorrow someone announced that they had cracked nuclear fusion, that there would be such huge consequences for society that this game-changing event could bring us out of this mess, or at least delay the pain further.

So, free or almost free energy aside, what other technological advancements would make you go balls deep in stocks or property to ride the next wave up?

sustainable nuclear fusioncheap carbon based nanomaterials (could make construction costs for houses so cheap that current land values would be cheap)

irobot style robotics

ps if anyone can tell me how I can post a thread or reply without having to edit it to re-add html line breaks that would be great. Anyone else have this problem?(using chrome)

You're a lot less cynical than me if you think that whoever invents nuclear fusion would allow it to be used for that kind of thing.

ps if anyone can tell me how I can post a thread or reply without having to edit it to re-add html line breaks that would be great. Anyone else have this problem?(using chrome)

yup I have the same problem, so retain firefox to use HPC! :rolleyes:

Was watching man with the golden gun today...

It was funny because it was made in 1974 and M is complaining about an energy crisis in the world.

He says something like, oil and coal will run out in 5 years time, geothermal and hydroelectric are too expensive...

If only we could get our hands on that solex agitator.

Why yes its 95% efficient solar collector...

Etc

cheap carbon based nanomaterials (could make construction costs for houses so cheap that current land values would be cheap)

irobot style robotics

free or almost free energy

The invention or knowledge almost certainly already exists and is hidden by those who seek to lord it over us.

Why would you bother going to work for 'their' industries - if all your energy was free?

Thats why they have the copyright and scientific 'peer review' sytem in place - to stop any brilliant advance in it's tracks that doesn't suit them.

Tesla was one such inventer, who was hounded by the heads of scientific reviews after some of his 'revelations'.

Some of his ideas were subverted, changed and he was made to look an idiot by the elites, whilst we were fed the wrong info!

Which is why so many even today, over a hundred tears later - keep looking for his discovery.

Not sure what the mess is - economic or environmental, I assume energy/environmental but the idea that technology will get us out of it is a religious faith more than anything.

Here's the thing - many go on about efficiency, waste, the free market and so on but in reality, by industrialisation, we are steadily substituting the most efficient provider of our needs (nature) for our own inferior technology. We talk about GM food, desalination, removing CO2 from the air, I remember plans for mirrors in space to increase sunlight.........pointless wastes of time. Nature does all we need for us. As soon as we get back to realising that the better.

A ******** converter - converts total waffle into electricity.

Hook up an mp or two , a footbal commentator and a few god botherers and bingo ! the lights are on for free

Useful but not world changing..

We already have designs and working prototypes for breeder fission reactors which could supply all the energy we could possibly use for centuries, if not millenia. The problem is to find a VI which *isn't* against it.

It costs perhaps £50k to build a 3 bed semi now. Carbon nanotube based materials could allow some fantastic architecture.. if the NIMBYS allowed us to build it.

Would be nice, but only about 1/3 of people actually die of cancer, IIRC, and a lot of those will be very old.

What makes me angry is the fact that we have the technology to solve most of our day to day problems - environmental, energy, feeding everyone, getting everyone clean water, getting rid of common disease - but our politicians seem unwilling to use it.

What makes me angry is the fact that we have the technology to solve most of our day to day problems - environmental, energy, feeding everyone, getting everyone clean water, getting rid of common disease - but our politicians seem unwilling to use it.

Perhaps not only politicians. There were many steam cars around at the beginning of the last century. The 'Stanley Steamer' was one of the fastest cars on the road. The oil people weren't too happy to see the technology developed and certainly most R&D was ploughed into the internal combustion engine.

There are a number of advanced steam projects around which certainly Government should show more interest in.

Advanced Steam Technology

Steam Car

irobot style robotics

We need to change ourselves, not change the world.

Gene therapy spread by a flu-like virus removing most of our simian characteristics.

Thorium fuelled nuclear reactors might well be worth a look - there's about 3 times as much of it as uranium and the waste products are a fair bit less unpleasant. If I had a huge pile of cash sitting around somewhere I'd seriously consider chucking a bit of it at this too, just to see what happens.