House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Noodle

For Vintage Car Fans

Yes, the last classic French car maker.

I see it is in the news because a Delahaye roadster (175) is up for auction somewhere, and was previously owned by Diana Dors.

The interesting thing is that Delahaye used to offer chassis and you could choose your 'designer coachbuilder' . . it was once common practice but the concept disappeared with post war austerity.

Bugatti had the same business model. I remember reading about a French aristocrat/playboy who ordered a Bugatti bodied without headlamps, because he thought the idea of driving a car at night was vulgar.

:lol:

I'm sorry but it is absolutely hideous, especially in that colour the radioactive colours and all, granted that might be the colour of the water at Koh Samui or whatever. But this is a classic

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0313_ducati_apollo/photo_06.html

The 1962 1260cc apollo.

It was too powerful for 1962 tyre technology and thus was sort of canned, but it was one of the early 100bhp bikes. Even Honda didn't manage this till the late 1970s

Guest Noodle

I'm sorry but it is absolutely hideous, especially in that colour the radioactive colours and all, granted that might be the colour of the water at Koh Samui or whatever. But this is a classic

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0313_ducati_apollo/photo_06.html

The 1962 1260cc apollo.

It was too powerful for 1962 tyre technology and thus was sort of canned, but it was one of the early 100bhp bikes. Even Honda didn't manage this till the late 1970s

California I think.

Found some 1970's Ferrari bike up for £250k!!! :huh:

Link

Noticed this. Is that a UK tax disc on the side of that car? If so then why is it where it is? Anyone know if a tax disc actually has to be displayed in any particular place? Obviously they always seem to be displayed in the lower near-side windscreen but is this a requirement? What if your car doesn't have a windscreen. Also, bikes display them at the side - I think. There is a book on Jensen's which has a cover picture of either a 541 or C-V8 (forget which) with the tax disc mounted in the upper centre of the windscreen - is this legal?

Love it. When I was a kid my father collected and rebuilt elderly cars - I used to go to school in an Alvis Grey Lady or an MG Roadster. Weren't worth a great deal at the time and and the walnut dash and leather seats used to make me carsick, but nice cars nevertheless. :D

Guest Noodle

Link

Noticed this. Is that a UK tax disc on the side of that car? If so then why is it where it is? Anyone know if a tax disc actually has to be displayed in any particular place? Obviously they always seem to be displayed in the lower near-side windscreen but is this a requirement? What if your car doesn't have a windscreen. Also, bikes display them at the side - I think. There is a book on Jensen's which has a cover picture of either a 541 or C-V8 (forget which) with the tax disc mounted in the upper centre of the windscreen - is this legal?

Perfectly legal.

As long as the tax disc is salted in peanut butter and then strained through a colander at a temperature of 7.2oC and only after a form DV345LA21.A has been submitted to the Government with the application fee for the exemption may the tax disc be placed somewhere other than the bottom left of the windshield but restricted to any other corner or on the magic tree hanging off the rear view mirror.

I'm sorry but it is absolutely hideous, especially in that colour . . . . The 1962 1260cc apollo . .

Hideous yes . . in your aesthetic terms . . . but you have to have a feeling for 'retro' . . .

You know, most great architecture was disliked (considered hideous) at the time of building . . . there is the saying, 'architecture needs time' . .

And I'm not sure you can compare anything from the 40's with the 60's in the same terms of reference..

I think the design of the Delahaye represents a certain mood and flamboyance which just didn't fit with post-war austerity. It was the same with art nouveau (jugendstijl) architecture, which didn't fit after the first World War. Only years later, can we see the merits.

Agree about the colour though.

Hideous yes . . in your aesthetic terms . . . but you have to have a feeling for 'retro' . . .

You know, most great architecture was disliked (considered hideous) at the time of building . . . there is the saying, 'architecture needs time' . .

And I'm not sure you can compare anything from the 40's with the 60's in the same terms of reference..

I think the design of the Delahaye represents a certain mood and flamboyance which just didn't fit with post-war austerity. It was the same with art nouveau (jugendstijl) architecture, which didn't fit after the first World War. Only years later, can we see the merits.

Agree about the colour though.

Time doesn't cure everything though! Soviet architechture for instance is hideous, every single biggish city had an identical concrete box on top of another concrete box which is the main hotel in each city... hideous...

Guest Noodle

Time doesn't cure everything though! Soviet architechture for instance is hideous, every single biggish city had an identical concrete box on top of another concrete box which is the main hotel in each city... hideous...

I guess Soviet architecture could be rather . . . kitsch.

Look at the radius' on those Delahayes. Stunning work. Nowadays everything is a box, a square box.

I guess Soviet architecture could be rather . . . kitsch.

Kitsch??

Noodle, really, Soviet architecture was the finest achievement of the minimalist, featureless, concrete school of architecture.

No modern buildings can begin to rival them for their sheer blotness on the landscape.

This is genius at work, surely.

Guest Noodle

Kitsch??

Noodle, really, Soviet architecture was the finest achievement of the minimalist, featureless, concrete school of architecture.

No modern buildings can begin to rival them for their sheer blotness on the landscape.

This is genius at work, surely.

It was certainly bold, I'll give it that. Not sure about the vision bit though. Norman Foster it ain't.

A very dodgy mate had an old Delahaye, pre-war one IIRC. It had a pre-selector gearbox with a separate reverse train, and was capable of going just as fast backwards as it was forwards. I vaguely remember that the body was made of wood. Would I be correct in that?

This extremely dodgy mate used to swap engines out of luxury cars whilst they were parked in West end carparks. Happy days.