House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Gps Gms/gprs Tracker

I'm getting one of these to use just in case Bardon takes a fancy to my wife and carries her off to his secret lair.

Also useful to know where the car is if it gets nicked or I forget where I parked it.

VStar Global GPS tracker

Can't you buy software similar to this for smartphones now?

I suspect someone's probably done it for Android phones.

Not sure that without a jailbroken iPhone you would be allowed to do this on an iPhone, application launching through SMS or calling the phone would probably be a no-no, however the iPhone does ping a server so you can find your phone through the .mac service. Trouble is the GPS units on iPhones aren't great, unless the new version has an updated ermmm... antenna.

Be warned a group of Asian robberys from West Midlands are using a jamming device, it blocks cellphone end of the deal.......Tracker however has a transponder that the police can track. The word is the tracker GPS is beatern but they can't stop the transponder from triggering.

Mike

Can't you buy software similar to this for smartphones now?

Comes as standard on many of them - for example my Nokia E71 and (a very annoying version on the) N900.

I'm getting one of these to use just in case Bardon takes a fancy to my wife and carries her off to his secret lair.

Also useful to know where the car is if it gets nicked or I forget where I parked it.

VStar Global GPS tracker

FWIW, in about '87/'88 I worked in developing tracking gadgets for vehicles. Onboard device would track position in real time and transmit back in real time to a monitoring centre.

Obviously back then it was a much higher-cost operation than today. The company was half-owned by Securicor, and other clients had broadly similar needs: high-value loads at risk of being nicked, sabotaged, or variants. After security tracking, fleet planning for people like utility companies was just starting to come on-stream.

In these days of ubiquitous GPS and broadband networks, this is of course a much simpler problem and near-zero cost.

FWIW, in about '87/'88 I worked in developing tracking gadgets for vehicles. Onboard device would track position in real time and transmit back in real time to a monitoring centre.

Obviously back then it was a much higher-cost operation than today. The company was half-owned by Securicor, and other clients had broadly similar needs: high-value loads at risk of being nicked, sabotaged, or variants. After security tracking, fleet planning for people like utility companies was just starting to come on-stream.

In these days of ubiquitous GPS and broadband networks, this is of course a much simpler problem and near-zero cost.

My next little project now that I've got a bluetooth GPS mapping system in Linux is to work out the best way of automating getting tracking information from this device into the map.

Either receiving SMS directly to the server or via email.

Will have to look at how to then get the data into the gpsd daemon.

Any idea if Google Earth supports real time tracking of GPS data streams?

I imagine in 1988 you couldn't get a tracking device for anything near £90.

I bought the tracker stickers for my side windows from ebay for £5 a few years ago to make it look like I had the system.

My car has not been nicked so they must work

I bought the tracker stickers for my side windows from ebay for £5 a few years ago to make it look like I had the system.

My car has not been nicked so they must work

Always a good option.

Not quite as much fun for geeking around with.

This unit will do 2 way voice calls.

Imagine the fun of hooking it up to the car stereo and scaring the hell out of joyriders as you track their every move.

VStar Global GPS tracker

I don't think they work that deep underground mate.

I don't think they work that deep underground mate.

Haha. I did think that after i'd typed it.

In a weird episode, a couple of years ago, someone put a GPS tracker type device under my car. I had noticed the guy following me for quite some while and carried on watching him when I'd stopped and got out and saw him put something under the car.

In true Hollywood film style I put it under a truck at a motorway service station.

To this day I have no idea what it was all about and it did creep me out a bit at the time, Pretty sure the guy wasn't any sort of spy more like private dick. I did clearly see his reg no but didn't have a pen and I then couldn't actually remember it later. :lol:

To be fair to the Police they did take it all pretty seriously but, didn't ever get anywhere with it.

In a weird episode, a couple of years ago, someone put a GPS tracker type device under my car. I had noticed the guy following me for quite some while and carried on watching him when I'd stopped and got out and saw him put something under the car.

In true Hollywood film style I put it under a truck at a motorway service station.

To this day I have no idea what it was all about and it did creep me out a bit at the time, Pretty sure the guy wasn't any sort of spy more like private dick. I did clearly see his reg no but didn't have a pen and I then couldn't actually remember it later. :lol:

To be fair to the Police they did take it all pretty seriously but, didn't ever get anywhere with it.

:blink::o:unsure: What do you do for a living???

The wife?

Be warned a group of Asian robberys from West Midlands are using a jamming device, it blocks cellphone end of the deal.......Tracker however has a transponder that the police can track. The word is the tracker GPS is beatern but they can't stop the transponder from triggering.

Mike

Yes, I got one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28713 to keep people quiet on trains

I wonder if he was trying to buy the Co Op.

p-o-p

I blame the Happy Shopper Ninja Death Squad.

Yes, I got one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28713 to keep people quiet on trains

Where's the device that can shut up not-so-personal stereos, and (these days) movies on anything from a phone to a laptop?

"I'm on the train!" twit is positively benign by comparison with those :(

Where's the device that can shut up not-so-personal stereos, and (these days) movies on anything from a phone to a laptop?

"I'm on the train!" twit is positively benign by comparison with those  :(

Water Jug (2).jpg

post-7749-12820525221027_thumb.jpg