House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Are Psychic's Just Cobblers Or Dangerous Cobblers?

I once read one of Sylvia Browne's books...I think it was this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Other-Side-Psychics-Afterlife/dp/0749925353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281885845&sr=8-1..I've never read so much utter nonsense.. Has anyone been to a Colin Fry or Sally Morgan show, and been convinced?

When (much) younger I saw Doris Stokes on TV, was impressed. Read her book. Went to a show, was impressed.

After she died it turned out that she had assistants who prior to each show found out who had bought tickets and scanned through the local press, especially the obituaries, for examples for pyschic readings that could be used in the show.

Once bitten twice shy. It's all a con.

All mediums are psychics, not all psychics are mediums.

There are plenty of fake psychics around who con and cheat people IMPO. There are plenty of people around who think they genuinely are psychics but are not - some cheat themselves as much as others, some are genuine in their beliefs but have no gift or ability.

I have seen many of the above.

However, as I posted on here in the past and also in PMs to various HPCers, I have seen and witnessed some incredible acts of mediumship which, because of my family background, it would be simply impossible for anyone to find out the information about - names, places, really personal stuff - and be able to pass it on to me.

Alas, unless you have such an experience for yourself it impossible to understand and the tendency to mock or ridicule is understandable.

I believe that each of us, at some point in life, will be forced to confront issues of death and life after death. For most it will come when they least expect it and often it is all the more shocking for those who are adamant that such things are fraud.

Each of us is on a journey.

All mediums are psychics, not all psychics are mediums.

There are plenty of fake psychics around who con and cheat people IMPO. There are plenty of people around who think they genuinely are psychics but are not - some cheat themselves as much as others, some are genuine in their beliefs but have no gift or ability.

I have seen many of the above.

However, as I posted on here in the past and also in PMs to various HPCers, I have seen and witnessed some incredible acts of mediumship which, because of my family background, it would be simply impossible for anyone to find out the information about - names, places, really personal stuff - and be able to pass it on to me.

Alas, unless you have such an experience for yourself it impossible to understand and the tendency to mock or ridicule is understandable.

I believe that each of us, at some point in life, will be forced to confront issues of death and life after death. For most it will come when they least expect it and often it is all the more shocking for those who are adamant that such things are fraud.

Each of us is on a journey.

Interesting.

I'll hold my hands up right now - I am a massive skeptic - I do however acknowledge the possibility that there is something to it (I very strongly suspect there isn't - but would love to be wrong).

For example - love this guy or hate him, Derren Brown demonstrated how a medium could appear to know very personal things. In this video there are definitely things, if it were me, I would completely believe he couldn't possibly know, not all of it, but lots of little things (the lift??).

Now, maybe he is a fake-fake, if you will or he has just staged this entire thing, however he insists he hasn't and, as far as I am aware he has never been debunked for this. (Sorry for the nature of the link - couldn't find on youtube - i'll change it if I do.

http://www.funny-videos.co.uk/videofakemediumderrenbrown.html

Guest Noodle

Interesting.

I'll hold my hands up right now - I am a massive skeptic - I do however acknowledge the possibility that there is something to it (I very strongly suspect there isn't - but would love to be wrong).

For example - love this guy or hate him Derren Brown demonstrated how a medium could appear to know personal things. In this video there are definitely things,if it were me, I would completely believe he couldn't possibly know, not all of it, but lots of little things (the lift??).

Now, maybe he is a fake-fake, if you will or he has just staged this entire thing, however he insists he hasn't and, as far as I am aware he has never been debunked for this. (Sorry for the nature of the link - couldn't find on youtube - i'll change it if I do)

http://www.funny-videos.co.uk/videofakemediumderrenbrown.html

NLP.

Guest Noodle

I'm not sure what point you are making - are you suggesting that all mediums do the same thing or that just DB is using that particular trick?

Apparently that bloke Brown has strong NLP techniques. 'THIS is the winning ticket!'.

Guest Noodle

He does appear to, yes.

So if he can do it, could it be that it is what others are doing?

NO, this is real.

kenny_craig_02.jpg

Sadly I'm starting to think its b*llox. Which is a pity. My dad believed in it a lot, and would recount his experiences which made me take it all fairly seriously for a while.

There have also been "encounters" by many family members, but I'm now starting to rationalise that as some kind of hysteria. By that I mean my father, and auntie and uncle lived with "a ghost" and strange happenings became so common place, that said ghost almost became a member of the family and was given the name "Olive."

And its a shame and to some extent very sad, as I would have liked to have made contact again with my mother. I'd like to keep my mind open to these matters and if happens, it happens.

But my life so far has been devoid of any "spiritual" experience, but past relatives appear to have lived lives that encountered "ghosts" or "spirits" from time to time.

One of the best mediums I know is a lady who is a scientist by profession and who, having been brought up as a Catholic, rebelled strongly against all religions.

However, in her 40s she began to have what can only be described as mediumship style occurences and, as these increased, it unsettled her greatly as she found these occurences at conflict with her training and her dislike of orthodox religions.

The most fascinating thing about her is that she questions everything that she says in this regard and has numerous doubts herself.

She told me something that happened to my Dad & his family in WW2 which was very precise about who was involved, names of people involved, locations and what happened - this information is not public knowledge, has never been.

Doubts? I am full of them.

One of the best mediums I know ...

How come you know mediums (plural)? I don't know one. Where do you find them? Or do they find you?

Even if there are psychics it doesn't mean they can speak to dead relatives, it could well as be demons using them and impersonating dead people, using information gleaned from your mind to "prove" themselves.

How come you know mediums (plural)? I don't know one. Where do you find them? Or do they find you?

Surely the plural is 'media'?

I talk to anyone and everyone. I am lonely.

I thought you were moving. Get on with it. New town, new walks, new weather. That'll cheer you up.

Spiritualist church will find you clairvoyance evenings.

Even if there are psychics it doesn't mean they can speak to dead relatives, it could well as be demons using them and impersonating dead people, using information gleaned from your mind to "prove" themselves.

This explanation is doesn't hold up. If you believe in demons then by default you must believe in something unseen

Well thats the problem. A while ago a friend of mine had to seek advise to deal with what he considered to be attacks by demons. This is why I keep my mind open. In the end he was cured by some kind of exorcism. I can tell you it was very real for him. Its also why you are supposed to stay away from Ouija board's.