House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldilocksporridge

Best Anti Establishment /existential Movies/books

Any good films you guys can recommend which attack the sad, souless, smug, sheeple, empty culture all around us - Which HPCers are more aware of than normal people. - or even books that can used - we all need something to keep us sane in this world, or just help us make sense of the bigger picture.

Anyway here are a few I liked.

American Beauty

Office Space -

The Bothersome Man - Great Norwegian attacking the sort dull people more interested in what their buying in Ikea, than anything else

Revolutionary Road - the recent remake

The Corporation

Michael Moore films - esp - Capitalism: A Love Story

Others

Fight Club - lots of hype, and a few interesting statements, and themes but not that good overall.

The catcher in the rye - got totally bored with it

Trainspotting - the bit about choose a life, choose a job etc

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - a bit sad

The Matrix - not a great film, but brilliant idea

The Truman Show - not bad attempt -

Pleasantville - so, so

others more about reviewing life

Flashbacks of a Fool - this film really touched me, looking back and reviewing your life

Sliding Doors - interesting take on how much things can change based one relationship

Any good films you guys can recommend which attack the sad, souless, smug, sheeple, empty culture all around us - Which HPCers are more aware of than normal people. - or even books that can used - we all need something to keep us sane in this world, or just help us make sense of the bigger picture.

Anyway here are a few I liked.

American Beauty

Office Space -

The Bothersome Man - Great Norwegian attacking the sort dull people more interested in what their buying in Ikea, than anything else

Revolutionary Road - the recent remake

The Corporation

Michael Moore films - esp - Capitalism: A Love Story

Others

Fight Club - lots of hype, and a few interesting statements, and themes but not that good overall.

The catcher in the rye - got totally bored with it

Trainspotting - the bit about choose a life, choose a job etc

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - a bit sad

The Matrix - not a great film, but brilliant idea

The Truman Show - not bad attempt -

Pleasantville - so, so

others more about reviewing life

Flashbacks of a Fool - this film really touched me, looking back and reviewing your life

Sliding Doors - interesting take on how much things can change based one relationship

I'm a sucker for dystopias - good ones I've read recently include 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry and 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret

Attwood.

Highly recommend "The Sheep Look Up" by John Brunner. One of the few novels of a dystopian future that actually resembles the world we live in today (although ecologically speaking, things are far worse in Brunner's book).

From an Amazon.com review:

In particular he forecast increasing solipsism and isolationism in American politics and cultural life; he predicted a decline in the quality of political life, to the point where the American presidency would be occupied by a semi-literate figurehead whose job is to recite comforting and irrelevant platitudes into a microphone on his way from one glamorous gig to the next. His "Prexy" character seemed like a good fit for Reagan a while back, but the current Bush (the 2nd of that name) is an even closer match.

Brunner forecast the dumbing down of media, the intrusion of advertising into the most intimate spaces of daily life. He forecast the sidelining of "healthy lifestyle" products and choices into a yuppie trend (organic food becoming a boutique item) and the demonisation of environmentalists as "terrorists" and criminals. He forecast a degradation of community life, the rise of private security forces, and an increasing gap between (very) rich and (powerless) poor people.

He forecast the multiplication of resistant strains of pathogens, though he did not specifically call out the abuse of antibiotics in agriculture as a prime cause. He did not foresee the consequences of synthetic estrogens; and his view of genetic engineering is by and large more positive than it would have been if he had been writing today with the legal shenanigans of Monsanto, Syngenta and their ilk in view (Brunner would have loved the story of Percy Schmeiser -- he might almost have written it himself). He forecast the ubiquitous use of tranquilizers in daily life, but he did not foresee the current fad for pathologizing ordinary behaviours (particularly in childhood) and administering psychotropics to children. The rise to enormous power of the pharmaceutical companies was not on his radar (Mike McQuay, however, took notice of that trend in his own grimly dystopian future private-eye novels).

I'm a sucker for dystopias - good ones I've read recently include 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry and 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret

Attwood.

Revolutionary Road - was excellent about a couple sort of going getting older, and sort going through a mid life crisis, similar themes I suppose to American Beauty. Don't think there is any kind of UK film with this sort of theme.

Guest X-QUORK

I'm on a mission to read some "Classic" titles, so just about to start One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Wish me luck.

The Prisoner (original series).

I've read Patrick McGooghan quoted as saying "it wasn't meant to be subtle.. I'm saying this is the world you're living in now".

a few additions off the top of my head. i'll edit it to add any more that i think of later:

books:

- daniel quinn anything but esp. "ishmael", "my ishmael" and "the story of B".

- the outsider -- colin wilson

- the way of the sufi -- idries shah

- Mullah Nasruddin Stories

- games people play -- eric berne

- the hidden persuaders -- vance packard

- generation X --Copeland

- Blueprint for a Prison Planet ---

http://web.archive.org/web/20080822004102/http://www.nick2211.yage.net/chips.htm

The Rational Destruction of Yugoslavia --Michael Parenti

films:

- slacker (1991)

- network (1976)

- seconds (1966)

- THE CENTURY OF THE SELF -- adam curtis

- the misfits (1961)

- the crucible (1996)

EDIT to add:

the Unabomber manifesto -- Ted Kaczynski

The Rich and the Super-Rich: A Study in the Power of Money Today --Ferdinand Lundberg

Any good films you guys can recommend which attack the sad, souless, smug, sheeple, empty culture all around us -  Which HPCers are more aware of than normal people. - or even books that can used - we all need something to keep us sane in this world, or just help us make sense of the bigger picture.

I'd like to suggest these two on the understanding that they aren't massively highbrow...

• They Live (a silly science-fiction romp where a down-on-his-luck man discovers what's really going on. It works best if you don't know what it's about in advance)
  • Fido (Billy Connolly plays a zombie, but the scenario, a fifties-styled community where everyone conforms and pretends everything is alright even though it clearly isn't, is priceless).

I

• [*]They Live (a silly science-fiction romp where a down-on-his-luck man discovers what's really going on. It works best if you don't know what it's about in advance)

+1. i think this one probably influenced the matrix.

it also boasts the longest 1 on 1 fight scene in movie history (over one of the protagonists' refusal to don a pair of sunglasses.)

it also boasts the longest 1 on 1 fight scene in movie history (over one of the protagonists' refusal to don a pair of sunglasses.)

I think I timed it to be about seven minutes long. Truly ridiculous, but leading man Roddy Piper was a famous pro-wrestler at the time.

Pretty much anything directed by Terry Gilliam.

Just watched Time Bandits again..... great film!!

On the book front, I've heard good things about Yevgeny Zamyatin's We, then I suppose you've also got stuff by Hunter S Thompson & Jack Kerouac...On the film side, there's Loose Change, which tries to debunk 9/11..You might not believe some of its conclusions, but its interesting none the less. I think its on google video. Adam Curtis's stuff is rather good, and the Power of Nightmare's is excellent..

I quite enjoyed 'V for Vendetta', which I saw for the first time recently.

The Network speech is a good bit of anti-establishmentarianism.

Seconded.

Dr Strangelove.

Would say Catch-22 but you really need to read the book..

Thirded :)

Brazil is brilliant, love the idea of Robert Deniro being a guerilla plumber :)

There are lots of films/books that question contemporary capitalism etc, but I don't think I've ever seen a film or read a book that seriously questions the liberal/left domination of 'culture'. 'Anti establishment' writers, actors, comedians etc are ten a penny but none of them seem to knock the Guardianista approach to the arts.

The nearest I can think of is 'How to be Right' by James Delingpole but that's just a collection of rants really.

I quite enjoyed 'V for Vendetta', which I saw for the first time recently.

The Network speech is a good bit of anti-establishmentarianism.

The comic book ("graphic novel" if you prefer) is a lot better.

There are lots of films/books that question contemporary capitalism etc, but I don't think I've ever seen a film or read a book that seriously questions the liberal/left domination of 'culture'. 'Anti establishment' writers, actors, comedians etc are ten a penny but none of them seem to knock the Guardianista approach to the arts.

The nearest I can think of is 'How to be Right' by James Delingpole but that's just a collection of rants really.

Thats because you are attempting to criticise a critique. The right just needs to propose its own. If you don't provide an alternative, all you are left with is ranting. The Neocons tried to repurpose bits of Trotskyism to provide the right with a critique but I'm not sure it worked very well. Put up or shut up.