House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Holidays Stats

A few countries having to stop reaming visitors to get the numbers up again. But check out the US, a few US Youtubers have been going on about inflaion and food rocketing, but hell those figures are appalling.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2010/08/got-last-minute-holiday-plans-find-out-where-your-pound-goes-furthest

What a basket of goods costs

Country Typical price Compared to summer 2009

Portugal £36.04 -41%

Spain £36.68 -39%

Bulgaria £38.20 +2%

Thailand £41.45 +15%

Malaysia £45.57 -5%

Kenya £45.84 -4%

Indonesia £46.58 +9%

Croatia £58.03 -2%

Greece £58.30 -3%

Turkey £59.83 +5%

UK £68.96 -2%

France £70.72 +1%

Italy £73.57 +7%

Egypt £80.09 +40%

USA £89.98 +35%

Source: Post Office. Basket includes: coffee, larger, cola, water, sun cream, insect spray, cigarettes, three-course meal for two incl. wine. Based on tourist resort prices.

I wouldn't consider those prices indicative though as a lot of people have been doing what I've done for years...i.e. simply not go anywhere touristy at all. All of my bike tours I stop in towns off the beaten track and wander into workers pubs instead.

I'm pretty surprised though! As when my mate went to California in 2002 he said everything is so cheap when $1 bought £1 of stuff thereabouts.

Though tbh I'm probably never going to visit the USA anytime soon.

Portugal cheap, good to see*. Vastly underrated country, good wine and decent food. Never understood why people would be willing handover £££ to stroppy Greeks, when they could be in Portugal.

*Disclaimer: Prob not for the Portuguese.

Edited by Mancghirl

I'm inclined to call BS on these figures. In my experience prices differ massively. If you're buying stuff in the centre of the tourist area then you'll get stung!

I recon the writer has just brought some BTL in Portugal!