House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rolf

Anyone On Hpc Actually Believe In A Religion?

I consider my HPC brothers and sisters to be a very bright bunch, for the most part.

So I am guessing that most of you, like me, are atheists.

Is anyone here actually religious? Given that you're otherwise probably a smart person, why do you delude yourself?

I consider my HPC brothers and sisters to be a very bright bunch, for the most part.

Is anyone here actually religious? Given that you're otherwise probably a smart person, why do you delude yourself?

With you on that one , though still so sure about santa and the tooth fairy ;)

is there a religion for those who hate bankers or any other criminals

What do you mean by religious? Does Buddhism count?

It does. But I think believing in Abrahamic religions like Christianity or Islam is a much greater delusion.

Why is Buddhism a delusion? It's pretty keen on getting rid of them actually.

OK, but so many of its followers combine it with another religion (one of delusion). A little too compromising a religion, methinks.

Do you mean religion or spirituality - they are different and people who subscribe to one don't necessarily follow both.

OK, but so many of its followers combine it with another religion (one of delusion). A little too compromising a religion, methinks.

Fair enough. If I said I was into mindfullness based cognitive therapy with a touch of mysticism on the side, would that make you feel better?

Do you mean religion or spirituality - they are different and people who subscribe to one don't necessarily follow both.

I mean religion.

But I also think most people who call themselves spiritual are bullsh1tters.

A bit liuke agnostics. People who are afraid to admit they are atheists. I used to call myself agnostic. What a crock of sh1t! :D

Isn't Buddhism just a moral code without the usual associated sky pixie?

It's quite complicated actually. Buddhism is pretty diverse in a way and what tended to happen is that as it spread it tended to co-opt or co-exist with other philosophies and religions. Thus Tibetan Buddhism is Buddhism plus Tibetan mysticism, Chan Buddhism is Buddhism plus Confucianism and Taoism and so on.

Many Buddhists worship/venerate/incorporate into their practice various gods and in some parts of the world Buddhism and Hinduism overlap.

Buddhism does not rule out the possibility of gods but rather takes the vue that any gods that may exist are as trapped in the endless cycle of suffering and delusion as we are.

At heart, all Buddhists follow the so-called four noble truths. These are:

1. Suffering exists

2. The cause of all suffering is ignorance, delusion and attachment

3. Cessation of suffering is possible

4. The path to the cessation of suffering is the noble eightfold path, namely right view, right intention, right action, right livlihood, right speach, right effort, right mindfullness, right concentration

I mean religion.

But I also think most people who call themselves spiritual are bullsh1tters.

A bit liuke agnostics. People who are afraid to admit they are atheists. I used to call myself agnostic. What a crock of sh1t! :D

Again, what do you mean by spiritualism? If it's all crystals and contacting the dead and suchlike then you may have a point but that term is very broad. What do you think constitutes a spiritual experience, for example?

What do you think constitutes a spiritual experience, for example?

What doesn't? Why demarcate?

What is experience? Who experiences?

Surely to engage these questions is to live passionately with them, not to 'believe' any one thing or another?

Thread fail.

Religion is not the thing believers believe in.

By the way, you can't be an atheist unless you understand the concept of god. I still haven't seen an intelligent atheist thread on this forum. Most comments are weak student union scoffing.

inflammatory, baiting and over simplistic imo; with respect Rolf the way you framed this really doesn't indicate that you were looking for a sensible discussion, and tbh it feels like you do that a fair bit.

What is wrong with being religious? Yes there is no definiative 'proof' in any of it but it is important to some people's lives.

At best it can provide a sense of community and belonging and set of beliefs that are beneficial to individuals and society. There is nothing inherently wrong with the teachings of most of the major religions, there is nothing wrong with the messages in the Ten Commandments for example.

On its crudest level it can provide a basic way of controlling the masses which is something we are sorely lacking now in the UK and is no doubt how the major religions came into being.

Personally speaking I grew up going to a Church of England school and was in the local church choir neither of which did me any harm. Now I believe in God but I do not believe in what I describe as 'God bothering' so rarely set foot in church.