House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
worriedtenant2901

Deposit

hi i went into my letting agent on 14/07/10 with problems about the renting house im in i.e shower not working and grout moving in the kitchen which is son fitted badly it took my landlord over a week to come to the house which in this time a big crack appeared in one of the tiles at the end of the kitchen where i only stand on when im opening the window, use the microwave which i hardly use, dryer and washing machine. when the landlord came he said the tiles are expensive so u dont mind me leaving that and that shower proberly has a block pipe. but i have found out of my letting agent that he has told them the shower is fine and that my washing machine has made the crack , i got my washing machine on the 12/07/10 and that he want money out my deposit and compensating how do i prove my washing machine hasnt done it wen i feel im being ignored by my letting agents as well. oh and one other thing my grandad know my landlord and helped him do some finishing touches to the house and told me the tiles only cost him a few quid i feel he is goin to take most or all of my 550 deposit which i needed cz im a single mother on benefits

sorry for the long post

He's trying to bully you into giving him money. Unless you've been renting that place for at least 4 years (I think that's when the new laws came into effect) the landlord will have to prove the cost of replacing the tile. If it's only a few quid then he can't have you for more.

And what's this? a kitchen where the operation of a perfectly normal consumer washing machine causes more than fair wear and tear? bullpoo. he's liable for the costs and even ought to repair the tile. Tell your agent - they have a reputation and will put your landlord in his place. You might be unlucky and they'll wait for you to move out then dump him. but you're liable for nothing there. Just go back to your agent. always feed back to them what the landlord says to you.

Take photos of everything, and video of your shower not working. keep a logbook of your calls and landlords visits/explanations.

You'll not lose any money, the most you can lose is quality of life until you can move elsewhere, and of course peace of mind while you argue for your deposit back. Who is your deposit protected by, and if nobody, when did you start your tenancy?

Edited by Maihem

i have only been in the property since 17 april this year and my deposit is with dps and everytime i go into the agents they ignore me they said they was going to get someone to ring me last friday and put it this why im still waiting for the phone call i did get a letter saying that an inspection is due but i had 2 last month, one by the Ll on 23rd of july and one by the letting agent on the 29th july im just getting sick of them both how can i be due a inspection when it was only end of the month they did one. i just feel that they are making me sick to the tenacy agreement but letting him do what he wants. like he broke his tenacy agreement wen he tried to show a prospetive tenant around the house when i had only been he over 2 months and i signed a 6months contact it says he can only show someone round the last months yet they are saying i broke it cz i let my bf sleep here 3 nights ( im on hb and my bf can only stay 3nights) so they are trying to make out that i have broke the tenacy agreement wen he did what should i do????

i have only been in the property since 17 april this year and my deposit is with dps and everytime i go into the agents they ignore me they said they was going to get someone to ring me last friday and put it this why im still waiting for the phone call i did get a letter saying that an inspection is due but i had 2 last month, one by the Ll on 23rd of july and one by the letting agent on the 29th july im just getting sick of them both how can i be due a inspection when it was only end of the month they did one. i just feel that they are making me sick to the tenacy agreement but letting him do what he wants. like he broke his tenacy agreement wen he tried to show a prospetive tenant around the house when i had only been he over 2 months and i signed a 6months contact it says he can only show someone round the last months yet they are saying i broke it cz i let my bf sleep here 3 nights ( im on hb and my bf can only stay 3nights) so they are trying to make out that i have broke the tenacy agreement wen he did what should i do????

Instruct the Ll and agents that if they attempt to enter the property without giving at least 24hrs notice that you will summon the police for the unlawful entry (I'm pretty sure that it is the same as burglary-the ll may own the property but you are the occupier until a court says otherwise). And to be a **** I'd refuse them entry when they want it as is your right in law and no term in the contract can override that unless you individually negotiated it. Maybe threaten them with the police as the harrassment could be construed as an attempt to force you out which would be an unlawful eviction and would therefor be criminal.

i have only been in the property since 17 april this year and my deposit is with dps

Good that your deposit is protected somewhat, shame its the DPS though. They're the bad landlord's best friend out of the licensed escrow services.

like he broke his tenacy agreement wen he tried to show a prospetive tenant around the house when i had only been he over 2 months and i signed a 6months contact it says he can only show someone round the last months yet they are saying i broke it cz.

you can't be said to have broken the contract until they have the committment to either sue you or issue you with notice to quit. Go the the citizens advice bereau immediately and get the support you need.

i let my bf sleep here 3 nights ( im on hb and my bf can only stay 3nights) so they are trying to make out that i have broke the tenacy agreement wen he did what should i do????

Your contract cannot stipulate only three nights and your landlord can't hold you to that. The social services might have other opinions but that's nothing to do with your landlord.

Get some face-to-face support. CAB, Shelter, Courts, etc. They are bullying you by having numerous inspections like that and that's illegal - you have the right to quiet enjoyment of /your/ /home/

Start taking photos of the place regularly to prove it's kept well. Especially on the days they come to inspect. Keep all records of communications, communicate with them in writing as soon as you have some proper grievance - but keep it civil yet firm on your end.

Above all, get proper advice from the CAB or Shelter.

Edited by Maihem