House Price Crash Forum
50sQuiff

Upper Middle Classes Join The Fear Phase

I can't give away much detail, but my other half works for a major art auction house. This is not a car boot sale we're talking about here, this kind of company literally is the market for much of what they sell.

In her words yesterday (completely unprompted by me and my permabear bias): "I've not seen anything like this since Lehman".

She then proceeded to regale us with tales of panic-stricken posh types with double-barrelled names, demanding she take their stuff in and flog it toute suite. We're talking fried, on-edge people desperate for this auction house to accept that their inheritance from Great Aunt Blah-de-blah is not worthless tat.

Now by all accounts this kind of pushy behaviour is par for the course, but you don't get to do my other half's job by being a mug so I trust her judgement. According to her it was the psychological state of these people that really shocked. And it was the sheer number of them that made her feel it worth telling me and some friends last night.

So, the upper middle classes are panic selling. Welcome to the Fear Phase, Giles and Jocasta.

Edited by 50sQuiff

I love these anecdotals...

Very odd though - whenever I think of rich and posh nowadays I assume bw ankers and I believe that their snouts are now back in the troughs... in fact, they are rolling around in it...

So I wonder who or what these people that your OH encountered actually do for a living? Public Sector? What exactly?

Very odd though - whenever I think of rich and posh nowadays I assume bw ankers and I believe that their snouts are now back in the troughs... in fact, they are rolling around in it...

So I wonder who or what these people that your OH encountered actually do for a living? Public Sector? What exactly?

They can be anything from A-list celebrities and old aristocracy, down to Cayenne-driving yummy mummies who 'just have to have it, darling'.

She then proceeded to regale us with tales of panic-stricken posh types with double-barrelled names, demanding she take their stuff in and flog it toute suite. We're talking fried, on-edge people desperate for this auction house to accept that their inheritance from Great Aunt Blah-de-blah is not worthless tat.

I come from a long line of working class peasants, so at least I can be sure that the stuff inherited from Great Aunt Nora actually is worthless tat :P.

Interesting anecdote though.

They can be anything from A-list celebrities and old aristocracy, down to Cayenne-driving yummy mummies who 'just have to have it, darling'.

Reminds me of that story over on blindgossip this week of a former A-list movie actress who, allegedly, has gone back to her old 'hobby' of providing Dominatrix services since her star has fallen a bit :blink:

Reminds me of that story over on blindgossip this week of a former A-list movie actress who, allegedly, has gone back to her old 'hobby' of providing Dominatrix services since her star has fallen a bit :blink:

I'm guessing that that nugget will utterly derail this thread....

Very odd though - whenever I think of rich and posh nowadays I assume bw ankers and I believe that their snouts are now back in the troughs...

'posh' are usually asset rich and cash poor (and need to auction assets to dispose)

'rich' are not usually 'posh' these days

(in my experience)

Ohh..would you have her number, perchance?

Guitar teachers.

p-o-p

I'm guessing that that nugget will utterly derail this thread....

Sorry... C-list actress apparently.

Actress Provides a Dominating Service

http://blindgossip.com/?p=20913

CDAN – This C list movie actress who used to be right on the verge of A list at one time has been in this space before. After a short break she has restarted her S and M service for the discerning celebrities. One of her new employees is a favorite of this A list celebutard who is married to a B+/A- list movie actress. The reason she is a favorite? Looks like his wife, but does things his wife does not.

C list movie actress:

Celebutard:

B+/A- movie actress:

OP:

Has your wife seen any examples of nurses, council road sweepers etc. looking to get rid of their Renoir collections in order to continue building their btl empires?

So, the upper middle classes are panic selling. Welcome to the Fear Phase, Giles and Jocasta.

Sounds more like upper middle income than 'old money'.

But, whatever, all grist to the mill.

I come from a long line of working class peasants, so at least I can be sure that the stuff inherited from Great Aunt Nora actually is worthless tat :P.

:lol:

You have the right avatar for the post.

I believe that doms charge up to about £200 per hour. Sounds like good pay.

Don't ask me how I got that info. :)

Like the anecdote but WTF would anyone with a grain of financial acumen be doing selling a fantasitc investment like a painting os antique given we are at the start of a decade of inflation at 5% plus pa?

Like the anecdote but WTF would anyone with a grain of financial acumen be doing selling a fantasitc investment like a painting os antique given we are at the start of a decade of inflation at 5% plus pa?

Probably remembers the 90s recession - art, antiques, classic cars all crashed in value big time!

Interesting anecdote though.

Ditto. The only time we ever came near to having something of value was when we discovered we had a trunk that George Formby owned to take his gear round when he did the music halls. My Grandma used to look after him as a baby apparently. Even though he knew what it was, my Dad painted it, took it to bits and made a coffee table out of it. Honest true story. Wigan born, Wigan bred, strong int arm, weak int head.

Needs cash I expect. Can't really pay for a trolley of food in the supermarket with a vase.

Because they need cash to survive (read "stay in their house").

Ditto. The only time we ever came near to having something of value was when we discovered we had a trunk that George Formby owned to take his gear round when he did the music halls. My Grandma used to look after him as a baby apparently. Even though he knew what it was, my Dad painted it, took it to bits and made a coffee table out of it. Honest true story. Wigan born, Wigan bred, strong int arm, weak int head.

I inherited a wooden box that is reputed to be some 300 years old. I flippin' hope that it is because my family has been passing it down from generation to generation for the past 500 years.

p-o-p

I inherited a wooden box that is reputed to be some 300 years old. I flippin' hope that it is because my family has been passing it down from generation to generation for the past 500 years.

p-o-p

p-o-p Are you a Pie Eater as well? 4-0 down today. Bleedin ell.

I can't give away much detail, but my other half works for a major art auction house. This is not a car boot sale we're talking about here, this kind of company literally is the market for much of what they sell.

In her words yesterday (completely unprompted by me and my permabear bias): "I've not seen anything like this since Lehman".

Now by all accounts this kind of pushy behaviour is par for the course, but you don't get to do my other half's job by being a mug so I trust her judgement. According to her it was the psychological state of these people that really shocked. And it was the sheer number of them that made her feel it worth telling me and some friends last night.

Nice read. Thanks 50sQuiff. :)