House Price Crash Forum

An excellent bear-fest the last week. Fantastic R5 show with great HPC contributions and a stream of MSM articles predicting house price falls AND ACTUALLY ARGUING THE BENEFITS! I don't want to jinx it, and I hope the falls aren't too small, but could it be happening now.... could this REALLY be it... the one we've waited for, for years... Can those higher up have sent out the message - it all feels like the days prior to the credit crunch, remember how quickly that unfolded and the intertwining media coverage...

I can only cross my fingers.

A watched kettle takes longer to boil.

So kick off your shoes and ignore it, in no time at all you'll see 300% falls etc etc and Injin world were we are all hunting each other for food and such like.

A watched kettle takes longer to boil.

So kick off your shoes and ignore it, in no time at all you'll see 300% falls etc etc and Injin world were we are all hunting each other for food and such like.

You can hunt each other for food... I know what I will be doing... B)

You can hunt each other for food... I know what I will be doing... B)

Ooh sir sir i know.

Is it 'eating gold'?

Edited by CHF

MSM as in the car mags are SUDDENLY saying that cars are now too big (I said for years) & smaller cars are needed........strangely euough Peek oil is just around the conner & car producers are now rushing out smaller lighter cars with 3 or even 2 cycinder engines.

Sorry for the spelling, still drunk from last lite...Hic

Mike

MSM as in the car mags are SUDDENLY saying that cars are now too big (I said for years) & smaller cars are needed........strangely euough Peek oil is just around the conner & car producers are now rushing out smaller lighter cars with 3 or even 2 cycinder engines.

Mike

Kin hell Mike! I hope you've replied to the "are you a binge drinker" thread.

I've bought a sporty diesel but am hoping to pick up something big for buttons as a second car when fuel heads towards 1.50 a litre. A nice big Jag or a Range Rover would bring a huge smile to my face.

An excellent bear-fest the last week. Fantastic R5 show with great HPC contributions and a stream of MSM articles predicting house price falls AND ACTUALLY ARGUING THE BENEFITS! I don't want to jinx it, and I hope the falls aren't too small, but could it be happening now.... could this REALLY be it... the one we've waited for, for years... Can those higher up have sent out the message - it all feels like the days prior to the credit crunch, remember how quickly that unfolded and the intertwining media coverage...

I can only cross my fingers.

I don't know. I hope so. But my gut feeling is this will play out over many many years. The Govt. has never been so willing to bend the rules in support of house prices. And every day the crash is delayed, savers are paying for it.

In real terms so far, personally I haven't seen any benefits from any of this. I still can't afford to buy a reasonably priced property, my savings are being eroded, and my employer is abusing it's new-found upper hand.

I look forward to seeing something real :)

The majority are herded into making the wrong decisions at the wrong time. That's why the majority are poor.

Just an observation. :ph34r:

For what its worth, I checked Penzance rightmove under 110k , This at the market peak would have got you a studio flat. Penzance was seen as a hotspot.

Now there are a couple of houses appearing in the results as well as flats. Studios cant sell at 30k. Flats not selling at 79k.

Anyone who bought a studio at the peak " to get on the ladder" must wish they were dead some days. In fact mebbe they are dead and thats why their place is for sale. :lol:

So it looks like this is it.

Mike

Why do you never apologize for your spelling when you are sober?

For what its worth, I checked Penzance rightmove under 110k , This at the market peak would have got you a studio flat. Penzance was seen as a hotspot.

Now there are a couple of houses appearing in the results as well as flats. Studios cant sell at 30k. Flats not selling at 79k.

Anyone who bought a studio at the peak " to get on the ladder" must wish they were dead some days. In fact mebbe they are dead and thats why their place is for sale. :lol:

I was in Penzance a couple of weeks ago - I really like the place, its kind of quirky, but I can't work out what the people who live there do for jobs. Also, seeing as most of the housing appears to be densely-packed victorian terraces - where do they all park? The high street screams at you 'economically depressed' - charity shops, discount clothing stores, a run down shopping centre. Even so, I still can't believe the prices - I'm sure that they are on their way down - but how on earth did they get to these levels in the first place? (OK, I know - but it is still staggering).

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

I was in Penzance a couple of weeks ago - I really like the place, its kind of quirky, but I can't work out what the people who live there do for jobs. Also, seeing as most of the housing appears to be densely-packed victorian terraces - where do they all park? The high street screams at you 'economically depressed' - charity shops, discount clothing stores, a run down shopping centre. Even so, I still can't believe the prices - I'm sure that they are on their way down - but how on earth did they get to these levels in the first place? (OK, I know - but it is still staggering).

It is all kicking and screaming its way over the cliff edge. Ronald Reagan might have said, 'You ain't seen nothin' yet.' In this case, the fear and falling confidence are going to do it. Personal bankruptcies making new highs, cuts coming, exhausted middle class losing their jobs and the pretence of normality is crumbling.

Penzance and the South West generally have seen HPI which are nothing but totally barmy. They only live on tourism and agriculture. Penzance Newquay, Padstow, Rock and the like have 'enjoyed' price rises built on pure over borrowed and remortgaged sand. If you think paying £325k for a 2 up 2 down, gentrified fisherman's cottage is great, then be my guest. Those sort of properties along with all the SE will see the steepest falls in Britain. Mark my words. The only place which will see lighter falls in the SE will be very prime, very central London.

Demans is afalling month by month, inventory is rising, mortgages are getting harder to obtain and the rules are tightening. I would not rule out 40% falls in price over the next 24 months. 25-40% and then a stagnant market for another 18 months, followed by slow pick up.

Edited by plummet expert

It is all kicking and screaming its way over the cliff edge. Ronald Reagan might have said, 'You ain't seen nothin' yet.' In this case, the fear and falling confidence are going to do it. Personal bankruptcies making new highs, cuts coming, exhausted middle class losing their jobs and the pretence of normality is crumbling.

Penzance and the South West generally have seen HPI which are nothing but totally barmy. They only live on tourism and agriculture. Penzance Newquay, Padstow, Rock and the like have 'enjoyed' price rises built on pure over borrowed and remortgaged sand. If you think paying £325k for a 2 up 2 down, gentrified fisherman's cottage is great, then be my guest. Those sort of properties along with all the SE will see the steepest falls in Britain. Mark my words. The only place which will see lighter falls in the SE will be very prime, very central London.

Demans is afalling month by month, inventory is rising, mortgages are getting harder to obtain and the rules are tightening. I would not rule out 40% falls in price over the next 24 months. 25-40% and then a stagnant market for another 18 months, followed by slow pick up.

I agree with everything except the slow pick up, IMO we will never return to the multiples of salary for a house that we saw from 2001/2 - 2007. People in the UK will earn less and pay much less for housing and "lifestyle" for a very long time to come IMO. I can`t see the globalised debt fuelled world continuing TBH.

The people in the central areas of Penzance around Morrab gardens, regents Square, Penlee gardens dont have jobs, they are mostly retired types, teachers, public sector, art admin workers, lured by the psuedo sophistication of the proliferating legacy art scene and the glistening expanse of Mounts bay ........and now wishing somebody had warned them about the drug problems, lack of parking, and evening revelry as teenagers run amok on friday and saturday nights. Not to mention the general drudge of hoards of ruddy faced fleece wearing over 60s traipsing aimlessly across the cobbles past the growing legion of charity and pound shops. A large percentage of the rest of the town to the north, largely unseen by daytrippers is on benefits, and are among some of the poorest wards in the country. Fishing and agriculture in decline Tourism and objective one is the only income. The more desirable areas in a 5 mile radius, like Newmill, have a surprisingly high turnover of ownership, as many did not anticipate and cannot hack the miserable weather of interminable rolling mists, wind, constant belts of driving rain from both the North coast and the more sheltered south. Those that can afford it often scurry back to the south east. Its very scenic on its day but my god take the rose tinted specs off before buying. I havent noticed it myself, but I hope some here are right and prices are falling, the polarity between the average wage and house prices is an absolute scandal and is one of the most marked in the country if not the top.

Edited by tennaval

Spotted this whilst browsing round ebay - would have thought it would ordinarily been snapped up. Big reduction and looks pretty good value TBH.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40-ft-Residential-London-Narrow-Boat-REDUCED-/130415717316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3

That's funny, I revisited the idea of purchasing a houseboat in the depths of depression about HPI a few weeks ago and noticed that it too appeared to be experiencing much lower asking prices than I remembered from a couple of years back. Lots of 'reduced price' /must go to cash buyer stuff too.

Anyways, I've just found a 2 bed flat in a reasonable part of Edinburgh, not ex-council (not living room/kitchen either) for around £100k, so I reckon its ON!

Sitting back, opening a decent bottle of red and some crisps to watch it unfold.

:blink::o:lol:

Don't get too excited. It'll be years before it makes sense.

Indeed. This is "it", "it" being the decline in house prices, however by definition you will never know the bottom until it has passed, and it could be several years.

Spotted this whilst browsing round ebay - would have thought it would ordinarily been snapped up. Big reduction and looks pretty good value TBH.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40-ft-Residential-London-Narrow-Boat-REDUCED-/130415717316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3

It says it's sold now. I agree it's not bad (though 40' is too small for permanent home, IMO - 60' would be better). I reckon mooring fees may be quite high though, as full residential moorings anywhere, let alone London, are as rare as hen's teeth.

The people in the central areas of Penzance around Morrab gardens, regents Square, Penlee gardens dont have jobs, they are mostly retired types, teachers, public sector, art admin workers, lured by the psuedo sophistication of the proliferating legacy art scene and the glistening expanse of Mounts bay ........and now wishing somebody had warned them about the drug problems, lack of parking, and evening revelry as teenagers run amok on friday and saturday nights. Not to mention the general drudge of hoards of ruddy faced fleece wearing over 60s traipsing aimlessly across the cobbles past the growing legion of charity and pound shops. A large percentage of the rest of the town to the north, largely unseen by daytrippers is on benefits, and are among some of the poorest wards in the country. Fishing and agriculture in decline Tourism and objective one is the only income. The more desirable areas in a 5 mile radius, like Newmill, have a surprisingly high turnover of ownership, as many did not anticipate and cannot hack the miserable weather of interminable rolling mists, wind, constant belts of driving rain from both the North coast and the more sheltered south. Those that can afford it often scurry back to the south east. Its very scenic on its day but my god take the rose tinted specs off before buying. I havent noticed it myself, but I hope some here are right and prices are falling, the polarity between the average wage and house prices is an absolute scandal and is one of the most marked in the country if not the top.

Must admit I've entertained the dream for a long time of a move to the North Coast - Watergate bay area - but, the more I visit, the more I think ... 'Could I stand the bloody weather'. Sometimes the mist, low cloud and rain goes on for days - very depressing.

Must admit I've entertained the dream for a long time of a move to the North Coast - Watergate bay area - but, the more I visit, the more I think ... 'Could I stand the bloody weather'. Sometimes the mist, low cloud and rain goes on for days - very depressing.

I'm really glad people have picked up on the weather issues. I am beginning to suspect a conspiracy - it seems to me that the weather is alot colder and wetter the past 3 or 4 years. Maybe all this drive towards increasing insulation has more to do with predicted changes in weather patterns than carbon footprints? If we are never going to see a hot summer again then what about this precious tourist industry in the South West discussed above and all of those holiday cottages. Not many people seem to have absorbed the point that global warming for the UK will probably result in a climate like Alaska. Buying a house in Spain right now could be the smartest investment of the lot.

Miserable git. You have to spend a while down here to see what it's really like.

I would never consider Bodmin Moor or Pendeen area because of their weather but I don't regard Watergate Bay in the same light.