House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Sky Tv Swizz

So Sky TV have, yet another, advertising campaign on TV, wowing you with "all three": super fast broadband, tv and calls "all for £20 a month".

Being a customer of Sky I know what bullcrap this is. They will do absolutely everything to get that teaser rate up once you have subscribed. They bombard you with literature and emails, (you would be advised to try and filter these) such that you can't see the important emails that come through (you have gone over your monthly 1mb limit we are adding £10 to your bill etc.). But most shockingly, on the TV advert, in tiny white small print it says "Prices will rise from 1st September" Did I read that wrong? Or is there a limit to how long they must let you have your introductory price? Even if not, you can guarantee the price will increase one way or the other within a year of getting Sky.

On the plus side, their broadband, that I use is pretty good and reliable, it just incrementaly goes up in price as you trip the tight limit, which you almost certainly will. The TV (Sky+) is pretty good also but it's annoying after all that you get so many adverts the + bit counters this somewhat. Just giving balance, still think they are swizzy.

Ive always assumed that excluded line rental?

I don't know I didn't get the calls package, just tv and broadband.

So Sky TV have, yet another, advertising campaign on TV, wowing you with "all three": super fast broadband, tv and calls "all for £20 a month".

Being a customer of Sky I know what bullcrap this is. They will do absolutely everything to get that teaser rate up once you have subscribed. They bombard you with literature and emails, (you would be advised to try and filter these) such that you can't see the important emails that come through (you have gone over your monthly 1mb limit we are adding £10 to your bill etc.). But most shockingly, on the TV advert, in tiny white small print it says "Prices will rise from 1st September" Did I read that wrong? Or is there a limit to how long they must let you have your introductory price? Even if not, you can guarantee the price will increase one way or the other within a year of getting Sky.

On the plus side, their broadband, that I use is pretty good and reliable, it just incrementaly goes up in price as you trip the tight limit, which you almost certainly will. The TV (Sky+) is pretty good also but it's annoying after all that you get so many adverts the + bit counters this somewhat. Just giving balance, still think they are swizzy.

I rang them up about this deal, the bloke on the phone then said the best I could do for my area (which is rural but not the Outer Hebrides) was forty quid a month!

Utter balls, also I was abit annoyed when TalkTalk rang me after I visited their website to check out their deals, you need to put your number in to check if you can get broadband and they obviously save this and call you on it later. I absolutely hate that sort of marketing and they were duly told to go get shagged.

I rang them up about this deal, the bloke on the phone then said the best I could do for my area (which is rural but not the Outer Hebrides) was forty quid a month!

Utter balls, also I was abit annoyed when TalkTalk rang me after I visited their website to check out their deals, you need to put your number in to check if you can get broadband and they obviously save this and call you on it later. I absolutely hate that sort of marketing and they were duly told to go get shagged.

It says on the website:

"Please be aware that if you use the speed checker, TalkTalk will call you to discuss your broadband requirements."

It says on the website:

"Please be aware that if you use the speed checker, TalkTalk will call you to discuss your broadband requirements."

Ah.

Missed that little gem, my bad.

Edit: Come to think of it why do they have to call you? Still mildly annoying.

Having spent thousands of pounds with Sky over the years, I ditched them last year.

I had subscribed to their movie channels from their inception and monthly subscription increased every year until, last year, they hit £50 per month.

I now use freesat for general viewing and have a monthly contract with Blockbuster Online who send me as many DVD or Blue Rays (up to three at a time) as I request for about £18 per month. I keep an eye on Sky's listings, out of interest, and almost without exception when a new movie comes out I've seen it weeks before.

Broadband is by BE Unlimited for about £17 per month and that includes a fixed IP, which is important to me so that I can log into my router from wherever I am.

Not fussed about free calls as I have more minutes than I can use on my mobile contract.

Having spent thousands of pounds with Sky over the years, I ditched them last year.

I had subscribed to their movie channels from their inception and monthly subscription increased every year until, last year, they hit £50 per month.

I now use freesat for general viewing and have a monthly contract with Blockbuster Online who send me as many DVD or Blue Rays (up to three at a time) as I request for about £18 per month. I keep an eye on Sky's listings, out of interest, and almost without exception when a new movie comes out I've seen it weeks before.

Broadband is by BE Unlimited for about £17 per month and that includes a fixed IP, which is important to me so that I can log into my router from wherever I am.

Not fussed about free calls as I have more minutes than I can use on my mobile contract.

I did a thread a while back about how easy it would be to ditch Sky, thinking it would be a long drawn out process. But it wasn't, it was easy. They didn't offer me anything cheaper short of taking things away. However, I recanted with a week to go as their broadband speed is always good and it's reliable and that is important for me. Although this might be the norm for other providers, I don't know.

Cancelled sky couple of months ago...have not missed it, will never go back.,,,over rated, over priced....got better things to do with my time. ;)

I did a thread a while back about how easy it would be to ditch Sky, thinking it would be a long drawn out process. But it wasn't, it was easy. They didn't offer me anything cheaper short of taking things away. However, I recanted with a week to go as their broadband speed is always good and it's reliable and that is important for me. Although this might be the norm for other providers, I don't know.

My BE package gives a theoretical 24Meg, but my BT line is noisy and only good for a reliable 4Meg so BE have set up my profile to best suit my line, resulting in a rock solid 4Meg.