House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Is Freelancing The Future?

My sister told me about a website where you can bid for work. Seems like a big hit in the States and something which is gaining popularity in the UK. For example ;http://www.freelancer.com/

Anyone tried it? Seems like an employers wet dream..

My sister told me about a website where you can bid for work. Seems like a big hit in the States and something which is gaining popularity in the UK. For example ;http://www.freelancer.com/

Anyone tried it? Seems like an employers wet dream..

What you mean

http://www.peopleperhour.com/ ?

56000 people on it £11 million in earnings = £196 if it was distributed uniformly. There are tons of people on there with no experience at all.

We used a similar service (rentacoder) for a discrete job we had, 6 week Silverlight job was done for $600 in Kazakhstan. The code quality was excellent, good MVC laout with POCO database from within a WCF service. £400 quid for 6 weeks work, perhaps but we are going to be very poor.....

We used a similar service (rentacoder) for a discrete job we had, 6 week Silverlight job was done for $600 in Kazakhstan.  The code quality was excellent, good MVC laout with POCO database from within a WCF service.  £400 quid for 6 weeks work, perhaps but we are going to be very poor.....

Can they tax you for any work you do if you live in the UK?

Can they tax you for any work you do if you live in the UK?

Of course, IMHO if you live in Kazakhstan it is less of an issue, but legally you need to pay tax on any earnings to the tax authority where you live if that place has a form of income tax (ie not a tax haven)

Ive employed people off a freelancing website to do some graphical design for me. It was interesting how it reflected my real life experience.

I asked bidders to show me example work that related to my sort of website, tell me what changes they would do etc.

I had 90% of responses from people in Asia, who replied with standard form text in very broken English. They obviously hasnt even looked at my site, but would do "very good work very quick". Then I had one guy who actually looked at my website, and he did me a new logo and banner for free as an example of what he would do.

It was amazing!!!! He got the job and it turned out he was an English guy a hundred miles away from where I live.

No matter how cheap someone is, they cant compete for technical skilled work if they cant speak perfect English.

If you mean are freelancer website the future then, maybe. Depends what you're freelancing in. I know someone who picks up quite few language translation gigs a lot from them but then they are a proper translator with a track record, not just someone who speaks a couple of languages having a punt. I doubt you'd get much with no experience or evidence of your credentials.

For a year I combined web and graphic design with a part time McJob and I utterly loved it. Actually, I'm not sure why I've been a full timer in a job I don't much like for five years now. I still have sidelines but I've sort of hit my time/energy limits.

If you man is freelancing the future in general, then, yes. It's been said that 75% of all new jobs are in low paid sectors and with 50% of people going to Uni or getting further qualifications, who wants to end up working in a bar or Tesco?

If you only earn 15-25k or so in a job that bores you and for which you're probably massively overskilled or educated, it's probably worth seeking to monetise those skills in some way. Even if you don't earn any more than a dull day job, you'll probably have more fun and flexibility. Unlike a salaried job, if you go the extra mile, make the company more dough or save it some money you may only get a pat on the head - especially if you're in the second year of pay freezes. Pick up a bit more freelance work and the money's straight in your own pocket.