House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

School Hymns?

Guest Noodle

WAY back in the 1980s I still recall some hymms we sang daily, what others do you recall ?

I remember this one

Some memories of childhood are best left suppressed.

Guest X-QUORK

Ken...you bloody genius!! What an awesome thread idea. I'm gonna go mental.

WAY back in the 1980s I still recall some hymms we sang daily, what others do you recall ?

I remember this one

"Jet planes meeting in the air to be refueled, all these things I love so well"

It would be my favorite, if I was forced to pick one.

Did the artist formally known as Cat Stevens do one called "Morning Has Broken"?

Do any of you with sprogs know if these songs are still sung? I've heard with my own ears that Baa Baa Black Sheep now has an extra verse called Baa Baa White Sheep, so I would be interested to know.

We used to get severely bollocked for adding an extra "of kings" at the end of the chorus.

Those were the days. I was such a rebel.

The only line I can remember singing was

"Sit down, sit down for Christ's sake, the buggers at the back can't see".

I'm not religious but I do like a good hymn. Bit late to drag the pipes out for a blast of 'Abide with me'.

Very fond of 'When a knight won his spurs' at the time and now. Proper folk tune behind that one. We had some very ropey hymn books that as well as including the usual suspects, managed to slip in Turn! Turn! Turn! and Hey Mr Tambourine Man. Argh, just had a nasty flashback to Rise! And Shine! Give God his Glory Glory! Rise! And Shine! Give God his Glory! Glory! Rise-and-shine-and-give-god-his-glory-glory-children-of-the-lord. Terrifying.

In secondary school we sang exactly one hymn because it was all any members of staff knew how to play on the piano. "At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow". If I've just outed myself, keep it to yourself, it was a very distinctive thing about our school.

Jerusalem (although we never sang it as well as they do here at the Proms!)

Guide me o thou great redeemer (Bread of Heaven) - also came in handy years later in the stands at Twickers!

:rolleyes:

Went to a Catholic school so sang a lot of hymns. However, the one that sticks in the mind was a carol, Good King Wenceslas, where a bunch of us would put particular emphasis on the last word of "heat was in the very sod". Don't recall any of the catholic boarders being overly keen to join us in that little prank. Can't think why, but I then again I was CofE with paying parents, so there were probably all sorts of wierd religious practices I was excused from.

Ken...you bloody genius!! What an awesome thread idea. I'm gonna go mental.

As soon as I saw the thread title, this was the hymn that I first thought of. The other one was 'Sing Hosanna'.

I may be a bloody Atheist but those pulpit-punchers knew how to crank out a tune or two.

As soon as I saw the thread title, this was the hymn that I first thought of. The other one was 'Sing Hosanna'.

I may be a bloody Atheist but those pulpit-punchers knew how to crank out a tune or two.

Yep, until Dawkins composes a tub-thumper to surpass Jerusalem or Land of Hope, I'm staying sat firmly on the fence.

Unconventional school ..... or did I dream it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-277MRYuM&feature=av2n

Was this the same day you took that exam and realised you were sat there naked?

"We Like Sheep"

(...have gone astray)

if only it had been in my (Welsh) school's repertoire.

What hymn were the lyrics "we plough the fields and scaterrrrr.... the good seed on the land..... for.... er..... blah blah blah"?

Apart from that, All Things Bright and Beautiful is the most memorable, mainly because we sang it so often!