House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

September Will Be ‘Crunch Time’ For House Prices

September will be “crunch time” for the housing market, property analysts have warned, following another week of conflicting market data. Many are looking to post-summer activity to determine whether the recent slowdown is temporary, or the start of a second downturn.
However, some analysts dismiss speculation of further sharp falls in prices. “July/August is traditionally a relatively quiet time so to try and make predictions based on a single month is premature,” said Ray Boulger of John Charcol.

Lucian Cook, head of residential at Savills, agreed: “I think September will be important to see where the housing market is at. It will be a slow summer. Autumn is going to be crunch time.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/fa7c5c6c-a6fb-11df-90e5-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss

However, some analysts dismiss speculation of further sharp falls in prices. “July/August is traditionally a relatively quiet time

I thought summer was traditionally a BUSY time :blink:

Look forward to things bouncing back in the Autumn then for the traditionally busy winter... :rolleyes:

Edited by libspero

"Melanie Bint says...blah blah blah"

"Ray "Bulging Sac" says...blah blah blah"

"Lucian C*ck says..blah blah blah"

Tells you all you need to know, really.

"Buzzardo says.... it's doon from here, and sorry I haven't got a stupid made-up middle class c*ck's name, to try and make me sound informed..."

Hey-ho.... :)

My Civil service contacts tells me that ALL the contract staff go in Nov, more in Sept........Yes its all coming to a Head. A nasty bleak winter followed by a LONG HOT SUMMER.......

Mike

Look forward to things bouncing back in the Autumn then for the traditionally busy winter... :rolleyes:

Based on residential property transactions from 2006 – 2009, June has been the busiest month of the year, followed by August and then July.

Methinks Mr. Boulger is talking sh!te.

And in the next few years, if the government is successful in rebalancing the economy, we will have the public sector shrinking by the equivalent of some 3% of GDP/year (IIRC), and the private sector growing a little more than that. The overall GDP number may be small growth, but that will mask a very strong "recession" in the public sector, shrinking 6% a year, and a boom in the private sector. This must cause a lot of turn-overs, everywhere, not only in the job market but in house ownership too. The repossessions should happen first.

My Civil service contacts tells me that ALL the contract staff go in Nov, more in Sept........Yes its all coming to a Head. A nasty bleak winter followed by a LONG HOT SUMMER.......

Mike

Sept of 2011?

"Melanie Bint says...blah blah blah"

"Ray "Bulging Sac" says...blah blah blah"

"Lucian C*ck says..blah blah blah"

Tells you all you need to know, really.

"Buzzardo says.... it's doon from here, and sorry I haven't got a stupid made-up middle class c*ck's name, to try and make me sound informed..."

Hey-ho.... :)

Ho, Buzzardo, if you hadn't put that smiley thing at the end there I'd have said you were almost as upset as me at this cesspit of a society we live in...and therefore possibly a wholly sentient being. Maybe you're seeking to mitigate that quite justified rage behind a populist cultural tick! Stop it now, or you'll be watching Sky News next.

Ho, Buzzardo, if you hadn't put that smiley thing at the end there I'd have said you were almost as upset as me at this cesspit of a society we live in...and therefore possibly a wholly sentient being. Maybe you're seeking to mitigate that quite justified rage behind a populist cultural tick! Stop it now, or you'll be watching Sky News next.

Have not the foggiest idea what you are on about, but like your style.

'Wholly sentient being', fabulous stuff.

In America you can buy guns. :o

However, some analysts dismiss speculation of further sharp falls in prices. “July/August is traditionally a relatively quiet time so to try and make predictions based on a single month is premature,” said Ray Boulger of John Charcol.

Perhaps Ray Boulger of John Charcol would also like to add that traditionally, November and December are relatively quiet times for high street shopping? :lol:

When ppl mention MSM, what on earth are they talking about?

Men that Sleep with Men. It cant be Mainstream Media as that would be MM, or perhaps whoever thought of this gem thought stream was a separate word?

:huh:

First and second busiest months since 2001 from the land regisrty:

Aug: 127,208

Jun: 115,568

May: 135,008

Jul: 129,123

Oct: 118,532

Dec: 114,931

Jul 125,011

Jun 116,939

Dec 104,681

Jul 99,417

Jun 123,423

Dec 121,601

Aug 123,569

Jun 122,469

May 64,418

Apr 61,548

09 (stamp duty)

Dec 77,719

Oct 65,473

10 (Data available to April)

Mar 49,862

Apr 49,323

I thought September was suppose to be busy?

Edited by Pent Up

...winter of 'let's face reality' now that Gordo the Clown and his chums have gone and left us with a mess..... :rolleyes:

Soon to be heard from Balls, the Millipedes, Burnham & Darling "Hey, it was alright when we left it"

Soon to be heard from Balls, the Millipedes, Burnham & Darling "Hey, it was alright when we left it"

That is the biggest danger.

But if that happens, if the electorate has become that... "unwise" (being very polite here), then it will show that the problem got much deeper, bigger, and longer term - if not permanent - and the only solution then will be emigration. Unfortunately.

There are always people , a small percentage of the market who MUST SELL. death divorce debt emigration income loss relocation reposession.

When the evenings start drawing in they have to ask themselves if they are still committed to selling and if their answer is still yes they then have to ask themselves ( or their agent ) just how much do I have to discount to get a goddammed sale.

So what do you think the realistic answer is going to be, more than 10%? I dont think that guarantees a sale in many parts of the UK, so there will be some places going at 15-20% + discount, all helping to readjust the percieved value of housing in given neighbourhoods.

Just as there have been bears throwing the towel in over the last 2 awful years, there will be sellers who have been hanging on like grim death waiting for the market to recover who are now going to throw the towel in and accept the new economic conditions as more than "just a blip"