House Price Crash Forum

Doctors To Waste Time Studying Picky Eaters

Sledgehead

HOLA441

I see we are are doing more beating about the weight issue. Fatties are now to be called "picky eaters". And doctors will add credance to this by launching studies into so-called "picky eating".

Hate fish? Can't eat veg? Doctors study picky eaters

As you'd expect from one who has just about had enough of reading, period, I haven't read this article in full, but I did catch the thrust of it whilst slurping on my daily bowl of un-suggared, bran enriched, cinnamon flavoured porridge. I was subjected to women in various stages of plumpness, moaning about various food stuffs. The thrust was they found anything healthful horrible and anything fattening delicious. Wella-woopie-f*ckin-doo. Whodda thunk it? And there was the startling result doctors are now endeavouring to replicate in controlled trials.

But control is exactly what will be lacking from the trials. For whilst I love my porridge, I like any sane person, love the taste of sausages and bacon more. I merely recognise they are bad for me in excess. So I knuckle down to a blander diet, and guess what? After a few weeks that dull food actually doesn't taste so bad. Sure, you can't eat a lot of it. Nobody makes themselves porridge whilst watching the match. Nobody steams broccolli to give ones jaw something to do during the less interesting parts of Newsnight. But that's the thing about food, for those who don't know: it is meant to sustain you, not relieve the boredom. It is meant to counter hunger. And if you are hungry, you will eat a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. I guarantee you, there is no such thing as a picky Pakistani flood victim!

So, to all these doctors "excited" about their new field of diet study, pickiness, I can save you some time and money by informing you that "pickiness" is nothing more than just another excuse to indulge in sweet, fatty food. If you can't stand sprouts, you just haven't burnt off enough fat yet.

Don't believe me? Then find me somebody who is picky about ice cream.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I see we are are doing more beating about the weight issue. Fatties are now to be called "picky eaters". And doctors will add credance to this by launching studies into so-called "picky eating".

Hate fish? Can't eat veg? Doctors study picky eaters

As you'd expect from one who has just about had enough of reading, period, I haven't read this article in full, but I did catch the thrust of it whilst slurping on my daily bowl of un-suggared, bran enriched, cinnamon flavoured porridge. I was subjected to women in various stages of plumpness, moaning about various food stuffs. The thrust was they found anything healthful horrible and anything fattening delicious. Wella-woopie-f*ckin-doo. Whodda thunk it? And there was the startling result doctors are now endeavouring to replicate in controlled trials.

But control is exactly what will be lacking from the trials. For whilst I love my porridge, I like any sane person, love the taste of sausages and bacon more. I merely recognise they are bad for me in excess. So I knuckle down to a blander diet, and guess what? After a few weeks that dull food actually doesn't taste so bad. Sure, you can't eat a lot of it. Nobody makes themselves porridge whilst watching the match. Nobody steams broccolli to give ones jaw something to do during the less interesting parts of Newsnight. But that's the thing about food, for those who don't know: it is meant to sustain you, not relieve the boredom. It is meant to counter hunger. And if you are hungry, you will eat a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. I guarantee you, there is no such thing as a picky Pakistani flood victim!

So, to all these doctors "excited" about their new field of diet study, pickiness, I can save you some time and money by informing you that "pickiness" is nothing more than just another excuse to indulge in sweet, fatty food. If you can't stand sprouts, you just haven't burnt off enough fat yet.

Don't believe me? Then find me somebody who is picky about ice cream.

Actually I think that is slightly unfair.

From what I have read (this isn't a new phenomenon) 'picky eaters', whilst quickly associated with what you have described, are quite different.

Often they will have such a limited range of foods they are able to eat (psychologically) they may well only have around four things that they will ever consume. Sometimes this is 'bad' food sometimes 'good' food sometimes odd food. Some are dangerously undernourished and underweight. Some, for example, are seemingly paranoid about anything the deem to be unhealthy - remember this is extreme so that could include almost everything. It is suspected it may be linked to forms of autism.

Of course sometimes the situation you describe above is the case, but that is a completely different thing.

It is perhaps an unfortunate label as 'picky eater' does just sound like a 'fussy bugger'.

HOLA445

I saw this on BBC this morning. You're not 100% right.

They had two examples.

One was a lean, skinny tall white guy. He can't eat veggies. Can't stand em.

Another was a short fat black woman. Same for her. But why was she huge? I can't help but think that she is picky about everything except junk.

HOLA446

I guarantee you, there is no such thing as a picky Pakistani flood victim!

Not necessarily. During the Siege of Leningrad, many people ate wallpaper. The glue contained some nutrients.

You might describe those that didn't eat wallpaper as 'picky', yet one reaction to hunger is to lose the will to eat.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

"Slightly unfair", "not 100% correct" and "not necessarily" are all replies way more appeasing than I could ever have hoped for! :D

No worries. :)

It's an interesting topic, but I wonder if the study will find any rationale.

I have a nephew who hardly eats anything without half a bottle of tomato sauce . . . yet he can't eat a raw tomato.

HOLA4410

I have a nephew who hardly eats anything without half a bottle of tomato sauce . . . yet he can't eat a raw tomato.

The diff, I'm sure you know, is one is like eating doughnuts, whilst the other is a fruit.

S'all about the saccharides.

By the way, I can be picky too, in the right circumstances. If, for instance, a Buggatti was the same price as Prius, I'm pretty sure I'd develop a psychological inability to drive "green" cars. :D

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The diff, I'm sure you know, is one is like eating doughnuts, whilst the other is a fruit.

S'all about the saccharides.

By the way, I can be picky too, in the right circumstances. If, for instance, a Buggatti was the same price as Prius, I'm pretty sure I'd develop a psychological inability to drive "green" cars. :D

Nah, I am similar in that I will happily eat tomato sauce - although I'm not a particular fan of it - stuff with tomato in it like pizza, even pieces of tomato in a salad or sandwich - but I just can't eat a whole tomato, it isn't the taste, it is the texture. They actually mentioned tomatos on the telly this am, they believe something like this would be down to the 'squelchiness' of a whole tomato and subconsciously (actually I don;t know if it that deep but you get the idea) associating the soft squelch with rotten food. I am exacty the same with a few things now I've thought about it, for example if I have a sandwich in which the bread is even slightly soggy I absolutely cannot eat it.

Obviously might not be the case with tomato-sauce-boy, but you never know.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Nah, I am similar . . . this would be down to the 'squelchiness' of a whole tomato and subconsciously . . . associating the soft squelch with rotten food.

Nope, won't do as an excuse.

Having had a little Google on the net on this subject, I am afraid you are suffering from Sensory Processing Disorder and in particular, 'Oral Defensiveness'.

However, there is a cure.

You should try being distracted while you are eating and perhaps hold and squeeze a favourite toy. Works a charm with kids, I learn. Those tomatoes will slip down a treat.

HOLA4416

Nope, won't do as an excuse.

Having had a little Google on the net on this subject, I am afraid you are suffering from Sensory Processing Disorder and in particular, 'Oral Defensiveness'.

However, there is a cure.

You should try being distracted while you are eating and perhaps hold and squeeze a favourite toy. Works a charm with kids, I learn. Those tomatoes will slip down a treat.

:)

As I'm an adult, I don't need an excuse! Anyone who has an issue with me not eating soggy bread or tomatoes can lap at peanut butter from my hairy bean bag. They will soon learn to be orally defensive!

In all seriousness though, that it quite interesting - ta!

Archived