House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest X-QUORK

Ok, Own Up, Who On Here Is A Binge Drinker?

Guest X-QUORK

Binge drinking: The facts

What is binge drinking?

The NHS definition of binge drinking is drinking heavily in a short space of time to get drunk or feel the effects of alcohol.

The amount of alcohol someone needs to drink in a session for it to be classed as ‘bingeing’ is less clearly defined but the marker used by the NHS and National Office of Statistics is drinking more than double the daily recommended units of alcohol in one session.

The Government guidelines state that men should not regularly drink more than three to four units a day, and women should not regularly exceed more than two to three units daily.

Binge drinking for men, therefore, is drinking more than eight units of alcohol – or about three pints of strong beer. For women, it’s drinking more than six units of alcohol, equivalent to two large glasses of wine.

This should be fun!

What is binge drinking?

The NHS definition of binge drinking is drinking heavily in a short space of time to get drunk or feel the effects of alcohol.

The amount of alcohol someone needs to drink in a session for it to be classed as ‘bingeing’ is less clearly defined but the marker used by the NHS and National Office of Statistics is drinking more than double the daily recommended units of alcohol in one session.

The Government guidelines state that men should not regularly drink more than three to four units a day, and women should not regularly exceed more than two to three units daily.

Binge drinking for men, therefore, is drinking more than eight units of alcohol – or about three pints of strong beer. For women, it’s drinking more than six units of alcohol, equivalent to two large glasses of wine.

This should be fun!

big-tick.jpg

What is binge drinking?

This should be fun!

:)

Got me there - if 3 large glasses of wine counts as bingeing, which seems ridiculous for a 6ft 1 man weighing nearly 14 stone.

Not often now but once in a while If I happen to get together with some old friends and an unplanned drinking session presents itself. On those occassions I feel high as a kite.

That saying having a kid saved my liver, from once a week boozing to once every 3 months.

Yep every other weekend I am a binge drinker.

20 pints at my mates stag do, and that was the first pub! Does that count too? M mother-in-law to be was horrified to hear that! hahaha

So that could be about two pints of ale on an empty stomach, or as many bottles of wine taken with a full meal ...

Guest X-QUORK

So that could be about two pints of ale on an empty stomach, or as many bottles of wine taken with a full meal ...

Don't shoot the messenger. :o

Binge, as in don’t drink for months and then consume all of those saved units in a couple of days?

Yup, that's me.

I personaly don't give a damn what the NHS/Government have to say about it. When I'm in France, I drink, on average, a bottle of wine a day :D.

When I'm in the UK, I may not have a drink for weeks on end.

Binge drinker? Who cares.

Guest X-QUORK

Yet another reason why you should challenge you ingrained acceptance of taxation.

:lol:

You don't know shit about my views on taxes.

Guest X-QUORK

Only your general acceptance of them and proposed solutions to issues by increasing it here reducing it there etc etc

Never ever questioning the existence of them merely the level of them

But that is the mainstream view, I understand that and I I know your kind fella

No, I'm not a Libertarian, I'll give you that.

Guest Noodle

Really?

I admire that. If only I too could get rid of the dreaded pull of alcohol. :(

Hate the stuff, never liked it years ago when I did occasionally drink. No requirement for it.

Guest Noodle

There was a documentary here in the UK a year ago, apparently people fall into three camps:

The first can't stand the stuff, the second, they like it and don't need it everyday, the third need it constantly. I'm in camp two but can't get to camp one.

Camp two is fine. Camp three is a problem.

By those guidelines three pints of carlsberg would be binge drinking for me. That definitely makes me a binge drinker then.

Erm, carlsberg? I call Trades Descriptions on your name :unsure:

Tax payers when you need hospitalisation.

I've paid into the NHS for years. I no longer pay NI, but I do pay tax.

Had there been exclusions whereby you would not be entitled to treatment if you drink, smoke, fly a helicopter or any other 'dangerous' activity, I'd have opted out. Hold on, you can't opt out, can you :rolleyes:.

What's wrong with imported beer in a can? :unsure:

I can taste the difference between beer in a can and beer in a bottle.

Much prefer bottles.

Beer is so caustic it will eat right though the steel can if it is untreated. The inside of cans are lined with various polymers (fluropolymers like PTFE I think) to stop this.

Of course if there is a small gap in the polymer ....

I used to drink like a fish at uni, now only drink occasionally, maybe Christmas, anniversary, birthday that's about it. I am very much take it or leave it as I only used to drink to get drunk.

Guest Noodle

Yeah, but I want to migrate to camp one and I can't. :(

Just as long as you never slip into Camp 3, doesn't really matter.