House Price Crash Forum

How Hard-Faced Is This?

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

HOLA441

http://www.gm.tv/vid...=1441_gmtv_9417

If you were in the same position as the blonde girl here, what would YOU do?

Nice way for the other lass to jump the housing queue.dry.gif

Obviously knows how to 'work' our laws better than most of us do!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/837556-woman-forced-to-live-in-a-tent-after-squatter-takes-over-house

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Would hiring a couple of heavies not be cheaper than the legal fees?

Yes. But I am betting that every practical way of getting rid of the bitch would end you up in jail, so crackpot are our tenancy laws. They let BTLs chuck you out within two months, but protect parasites like Carmen wotsit.

I'd stake out the place. Wait till she left then get a professional locksmith to pick, then change the lock. I'd pack all her stuff up in boxes and leave them at the local rail/bus depot. Then let HER knock herself out getting a place to stay.

I'd probaby end up in jail tho' as British laws tend to protect the cheats, liars and frauds.

HOLA446

That was quite emotional. Just goes to show you if your not a professional landlord don't get involved in BTL.

Personally I'd drop kick her into the road.

She wasn't a BTL. It was her only/primary residence. There should be laws about folks having rights to your only domicile. Irritating if it is a property that you own but don't live in, but not disastrous.

HOLA447
Guest Skinty

Yes. But I am betting that every practical way of getting rid of the bitch would end you up in jail, so crackpot are our tenancy laws. They let BTLs chuck you out within two months, but protect parasites like Carmen wotsit.

I'd stake out the place. Wait till she left then get a professional locksmith to pick, then change the lock. I'd pack all her stuff up in boxes and leave them at the local rail/bus depot. Then let HER knock herself out getting a place to stay.

I'd probaby end up in jail tho' as British laws tend to protect the cheats, liars and frauds.

That's what I would do. Starve her out. She has to leave the house sometime and even if she has changed the locks, break in and change them back again. She will then have no fixed address of her own.

Normally squatters get away with it because there is always one person left in the house. I am sure the blonde woman would have plenty of friends and family to help her board up the window afterwards and to keep the house secure until the lock smith gets there.

HOLA448

http://www.gm.tv/vid...=1441_gmtv_9417

If you were in the same position as the blonde girl here, what would YOU do?

Nice way for the other lass to jump the housing queue.dry.gif

Obviously knows how to 'work' our laws better than most of us do!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/837556-woman-forced-to-live-in-a-tent-after-squatter-takes-over-house

I just couldn't help but find it amusing that their 'friend' is letting them sleep in tiny a tent outside (although I suspect the tent was for dramatic effect).

HOLA449

I just couldn't help but find it amusing that their 'friend' is letting them sleep in tiny a tent outside (although I suspect the tent was for dramatic effect).

Maybe her friends have families and can't find enough room, for long enough. A weekend or week... yes. Maybe they already are doing but are loath to advertise this fact for obvious reasons.dry.gif

Could you...WOULD you? Give someone a home, knowing that the PTB will let you - indefinitely?

I think we all know the answer to that one.dry.gif

( wanders off, sick of having to spell out the obvious)

HOLA4410

Hang on a minute. Did she rent out her only home on a 6 month tenancy agreement and go travelling with her 4 year old and expect the property to be vacant on her return with no complications at all? Sounds kinda reckless to me, no thought to the risks involved in entering into a commercial transaction like this as an amateur.

Just offering a possible other side to this apparently one-sided story. P = 0.9L.

HOLA4411

Hang on a minute. Did she rent out her only home on a 6 month tenancy agreement and go travelling with her 4 year old and expect the property to be vacant on her return with no complications at all? Sounds kinda reckless to me, no thought to the risks involved in entering into a commercial transaction like this as an amateur.

Just offering a possible other side to this apparently one-sided story. P = 0.9L.

Yes that is a bit unclear.. and seemingly naive of her, but that does not alter the fact that British law - re: rental agreements and home ownership - is BADLY in need of a rewrite.

HOLA4412

Maybe her friends have families and can't find enough room, for long enough. A weekend or week... yes. Maybe they already are doing but are loath to advertise this fact for obvious reasons.dry.gif

Could you...WOULD you? Give someone a home, knowing that the PTB will let you - indefinitely?

I think we all know the answer to that one.dry.gif

( wanders off, sick of having to spell out the obvious)

Calm down ffs.

You are so dramatic and aggressive.

I just thought it was a funny scene them sitting in a tent for an interview next to a big house. The imagery amused me.

Why you have to constantly tell me you know what i would and wouldn't do, I can't explain. I'm sorry even the most trivial comments p1ss you off, I don't intend to do so, but I seem to with almost every post - I can't help feeling it is you rather than me, but I'm sure you will educate me on that.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Calm down ffs.

You are so dramatic and aggressive.

I just thought it was a funny scene them sitting in a tent for an interview next to a big house. The imagery amused me.

Why you have to constantly tell me you know what i would and wouldn't do, I can't explain. I'm sorry even the most trivial comments p1ss you off, I don't intend to do so, but I seem to with almost every post - I can't help feeling it is you rather than me, but I'm sure you will educate me on that.

Awww.sad.gif

No it isn't that you piss me off with every post, truly. You have to realise that I am well on my way to the Victoria Meldrew award, having put up with nonsense for too long, feel bound to 'chip' at it.

Much of what I 'say' on here would not have the impact if I said it to you in person, as I have always had a dry satirical delivery, rather than an aggressive one. :-)

Your comment seemed to overlook the reasons WHY she has used the tent. You MUST surely know that if the LA knew friends were keeping her, they'd let them. They just want a quiet life and not to have to have any 'trouble', make any executive decisions.

They have it now since it went nationwide coverage and that is why this problem has cleared up...finally.

HOLA4415

I'm afraid I've got no sympathy for her. She let the house and went abroad, and wants to get the tenant out asap on her return. The tenant isn't a squatter, just a tenant who hasn't paid the rent. Tough t1tty baby.

She should have reserved one room for her personal use, locked it, and let the rest of the house with a shared amenities arrangement. That way she is still in occupation, and can use her premises on return.

HOLA4416

I'm afraid I've got no sympathy for her. She let the house and went abroad, and wants to get the tenant out asap on her return. The tenant isn't a squatter, just a tenant who hasn't paid the rent. Tough t1tty baby.

She should have reserved one room for her personal use, locked it, and let the rest of the house with a shared amenities arrangement. That way she is still in occupation, and can use her premises on return.

She is 'guilty' of what then? Not thinking it through? Assuming others are as fair/honest in their dealings as her?

She is only young so that is entirely possible.

It doesn't detract fom the unfairness of the law.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

I'm afraid I've got no sympathy for her.

because she has a house and you don't?

She let the house and went abroad, and wants to get the tenant out asap on her return. The tenant isn't a squatter, just a tenant who hasn't paid the rent. Tough t1tty baby.

Which Law school did you graduate from?

A contract was formed between two parties. One of those has broken their terms.

End of contract

HOLA4421

Thinking she can "have her cake and eat it".

That phrase describes a greedy person, not the kind of image conjured up by someone working for the homeless in a third world country.

Wanting rent for your home, or wanting your home returned to you when the agreement is over,you is hardly wanting your cake and eating it. She is owed 3K. You would feel ok about that, then?

HOLA4422

This sounds obvious, but as blondie is the customer of the utility companies, she can presumably ask to have all of here utilities cut immediately.

Of course, squatter might feel tempted to use a gas burner to cook, and candles for light, which might cause some damage, not to mention a freezer full of food rotting. I doubt she's got 3 month's tinned rations, camping gas stocks and emergency lighting unless she was expecting a siege. She's got to come out some time......

I suspect that this might breach her human right or some such nonsense.

HOLA4423

That phrase describes a greedy person, not the kind of image conjured up by someone working for the homeless in a third world country.

Wanting rent for your home, or wanting your home returned to you when the agreement is over,you is hardly wanting your cake and eating it. She is owed 3K. You would feel ok about that, then?

You're not considering the rights of the tenant, at all. She cannot be thrown out on the street simply for late payment of rent, in a civilised country like the UK.

Of course I wouldn't be happy if I was owed money and felt someone had gone against common decency and exploited the legal system to their benefit. But thinking renting your home out is as easy as going to the ATM is naive in the extreme: you are contracting with another human being, with all the risks that entails. She wanted rental income while she was away and had no contingency for things not going exactly according to plan. Well, that's life.

HOLA4424

If that was me then it would be a blitzkrieg approach. 4 or 5am break in and take control of the house with friends. Frogmarch the squatter out before they've properly woken up and ideally before the cops arrive, stuff then dumped on pavement outside. She can then go to the caaaancil and get a nice doley b&b or whatever.

Edit: the above ignores the renter bit

HOLA4425

As someone suggests in the comments under this article, there is possibly some misreporting here.

There is no such thing as 'squatter's rights'.

The renter had an Assured Shorthold Tenancy of six months. It is possible to insist on an additional two months notice after the contract expires, but no longer.

The landlord can apply to the court for eviction two ways: an accelerated eviction order, simply to remove the tenant, or an eviction order which also includes a claim for unpaid rent. The eviction orders are invariably granted.

What often happens in such cases is that it is the evicted renter who goes to the council and applies for emergency housing.

There is a suspicion from the comments that the renter paid the six months in advance - normal for a six month let from someone without guarantees.

All this information is freely available from the Citizen's Advice Bureau website under 'housing'.

IF the landlord really did pay 1000 in legal fees - unnecessary, the procedure is a standard form - and has no eviction, then perhaps she made some agreement for a longer period and returned early. Or she is now only somewhere in the two month window. Anyway, there appear to be flaws in story.

Archived