House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IWantItNow

Knives

OK so I'm sick of buying knives that struggle to cut butter after a week. I love cooking but using blunt knives is negating my cooking Kung-Fu. I went looking for a sushi knife in Manchester last month, couldn't find one for sh|t and bought an similar knife for £18 (yes that one knife!) and it's already going blunt, I think I've used it 5 times.

So my questions are;

Are there any good chefs knives anyone can recommend?

How much am I looking at?

No matter what the knives are, do you have to sharpen them regardless?

I bought a sharpener from ASDA but it was shite....a plastic thing and you rub the knife in, the knife was sharp for about 1 cut and then blunt again.

OK so I'm sick of buying knives that struggle to cut butter after a week. I love cooking but using blunt knives is negating my cooking Kung-Fu. I went looking for a sushi knife in Manchester last month, couldn't find one for sh|t and bought an similar knife for £18 (yes that one knife!) and it's already going blunt, I think I've used it 5 times.

So my questions are;

I bought a sharpener from ASDA but it was shite....a plastic thing and you rub the knife in, the knife was sharp for about 1 cut and then blunt again.

Buy Sabatier knives. Use a steel to sharpen, or better still, send them back to Sabatier for sharpening.

Buy Sabatier knives. Use a steel to sharpen, or better still, send them back to Sabatier for sharpening.

Agree...

http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Stellar_Sabatier_FM_8_Piece_Knife_Block_Set.html

These are awsome stellar/sabatier one piece knives.

Very easy to clean, razor sharp and hold the edge for a long time, similar quality to Global.

Now the good bit... you can generally find this exact set in TKMaxx for 90 quid (or around 50 quid for the 5 blade set)

If you really want to splash some cash, and have knives that will last for ages, then I thoroughly recommend them

Kinmen Taiwanese knives. Real ones not cheapo Chinese copies. (lots of them!)

My dad has a clever and a specially made half clever thing.

They are made from artillery shells.

Kinmen Taiwanese knives. Real ones not cheapo Chinese copies. (lots of them!)

My dad has a clever and a specially made half clever thing.

They are made from artillery shells.

Do you have a link to the real deal then?

I have a Zwilling chef's knife that is particularly good. I sharpen it with a steel regularly and it is razor sharp. Ripe tomatoes are always a good test and this thing slices them with ease.

They are expensive though... i think I got mine in a sale from a loacl kitchen shop for about £100 ish, I admit though £100 is alot of money for one knife. Some on the website are £300odd!! :blink:

Worth a look though if you are looking for something of good quality.

Zwilling

I have a Zwilling chef's knife that is particularly good. I sharpen it with a steel regularly and it is razor sharp. Ripe tomatoes are always a good test and this thing slices them with ease.

They are expensive though... i think I got mine in a sale from a loacl kitchen shop for about £100 ish, I admit though £100 is alot of money for one knife. Some on the website are £300odd!! :blink:

Worth a look though if you are looking for something of good quality.

Zwilling

Hate to sound like a rep for TKMaxx... but they sometimes well Henckels/Zwilling as well.

I bought a three pack of HZ 5 Star knives for 12.99, and cheapest I could find them online when I got home was over a hundred. may have been a misprice me thinks. Anyway, if you are passing a TKMaxx it is always worth a quick peak in the knife section. I have seen Global in there too, but never less than half RRP.

So my questions are;

Yes! :blink:

Whatever knives you buy get a Whetstone AND a steel. A good knife, well looked after, will last you decades.

If you think £90 is expensive ...

Kin Knives

Don't just go on recommendation, mine are Sabater BTW, try the handles. It's not just about the quality, it needs to feel 'right' in your hand.

Yes! :blink:

As you can tell I'm a newbie when it comes to knives, are diamond encrusted ones a fairytale? :P

Whatever knives you buy get a Whetstone AND a steel. A good knife, well looked after, will last you decades.

If you think £90 is expensive ...

Kin Knives

Don't just go on recommendation, mine are Sabater BTW, try the handles. It's not just about the quality, it needs to feel 'right' in your hand.

Thanks for the advice.

So my questions are;

I bought a sharpening block (edit:Whetstone) from a hardware store, was about £6. There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to sharpen a knife. It's really quite simple and the results are very effective. You will probably need a honer as well, also very cheap.

If sharp, the edge should remain for a few months even on cheap knives. Use the honer every time, just 2-3 passes should do.

great thing about a sharpening block is that it can be used for other blades such as shears, chisels, scissors, lawnmowers etc.

I bought a sharpening block (edit:Whetstone) from a hardware store, was about £6. There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to sharpen a knife. It's really quite simple and the results are very effective. You will probably need a honer as well, also very cheap.

If sharp, the edge should remain for a few months even on cheap knives. Use the honer every time, just 2-3 passes should do.

great thing about a sharpening block is that it can be used for other blades such as shears, chisels, scissors, lawnmowers etc.

Very true. A knife with a blade that is thin in section, and flexible, is best. Buy a good quality sharpening stone with a coarse side and a fine side. [£20 nowadays?] It makes it much quicker. Look at the Youtube videos as you say. I don’t use a hone, but made my own strop out of two pieces of scrap wood, glue and an old leather belt. The abrasive I apply each time to the strop is stainless steel cleaner. Ironically my best knife is a Sabatier, one that a friend gave me for nothing, as she had completely buggered it, trying to open a tin or something. I straightened it out, ground it to the right profile, as it was very blunt, and then used the strop. Like the others I have, you could now literally shave with it. However, I have noticed that a lot of people are afraid of using sharp knives, although blunt ones are more dangerous in the kitchen.

So my questions are;

Get a good carbon steel blade. They require a little more care than a stainless steel blade, rust and chip easily and stain, but they are really, really, really sharp.

They tend to have a one sided blade and can be sharpened very easily (easier than a stainless blade) on a stone. The old one I use every day seems to get sharpened by how I wash it with a scourer (not recommended by the manufacturers, but it has worked well for the past couple of years.) I haven't used a stone on it for 9 months and it still glides through tomatoes. We just don't use our expensive stainless steel blades anymore

You don't see them often in standard knife shops...probably cause they don't look pretty. A lot of asian chefs swear by them.

If, like me, you are crap at sharpening knives using a steel then try a Chef's Choice Electric sharpener. The cheaper models (eg Model 110 ) work really well.

Regular use and reasonable quality knives slice like a dream.

If, like me, you are crap at sharpening knives using a steel then try a Chef's Choice Electric sharpener. The cheaper models (eg Model 110 ) work really well.

Regular use and reasonable quality knives slice like a dream.

I think I've found your problem.

Your better off learning how to sharpen them, You can get the cheapest crappy knife and get it like a razor blade. Once you master sharpening, you will not look back.

get one of these, use the rough side and grind the edge to a flat angle on both sides, pushing the blade away from you, apply pressure on the forward stoke only always with the leading edge of the blade travelling forwards http://www.axminster...one-prod642316/

then one of these to give your knives a top up every week or so http://www.axminster...teel-prod21927/

grind every other month, using the steel will steepen the angle over time until its difficult to keep sharp.

A-ha, a post I know something about (it had to happen one day)

OK, the stuff like Global is ok, I mean they're a bit too trendy if you ask me, but they'll be able to cut things... But if you want to cut things well then move up a notch (or two) into the likes of Wusthoff and Henckels - (personally I think Wusthoff have the edge), and they're similar prices.

The best knives, and I do mean the absolute best money can buy, are Japanese ones made by Kershaw Shun http://www.chefsresource.com/shun-elite.html

Chuffin expensive mind.

Get a good carbon steel blade. They require a little more care than a stainless steel blade, rust and chip easily and stain, but they are really, really, really sharp.

They tend to have a one sided blade and can be sharpened very easily (easier than a stainless blade) on a stone. The old one I use every day seems to get sharpened by how I wash it with a scourer (not recommended by the manufacturers, but it has worked well for the past couple of years.) I haven't used a stone on it for 9 months and it still glides through tomatoes. We just don't use our expensive stainless steel blades anymore

You don't see them often in standard knife shops...probably cause they don't look pretty. A lot of asian chefs swear by them.

+1

1) Get carbon steel and avoid stainless steel, the latter look nice and shiny but won't hold an edge which is vital.

2) Also bear in mine that Asian knives are factory sharpened at a different angle to European knives.

3) Only one factory is true Sabatier, if that is what you are looking for, the rest are imitations

4) On larger knives you want to make sure of the balance, and it should 'heel and toe' easily for chopping

5) Morrisons sell an excellent sharpener for £1.99 that is a copy of a two-wheeled whetstone that sells for about 30 quid elsewhere; this is the best sharpener you can use if you are uncomfortable with a whetstone block and leather strop

My knives are Kitchen Devil carbon steel 'PROFESSIONAL' knives (professional is a meaningless tag). They were about 50 quid for the set, although they were all bought separately. They fit criteria 1 and 4, which is fine for me.

5) Morrisons sell an excellent sharpener for £1.99 that is a copy of a two-wheeled whetstone that sells for about 30 quid elsewhere; this is the best sharpener you can use if you are uncomfortable with a whetstone block and leather strop

Oooooh, ta for that.