House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

French G D P Surges 300% Qo Q

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/french-economy-grows-0-6-percent-in-second-quarter-afp-918328ab896f.html?x=0

French economy grows 0.6 percent in second quarter
8:14, Friday 13 August 2010
France's economy grew by 0.6 percent in the second quarter, compared with 0.2 percent in the first three months of the year, Finance Minister Christine Lagarde said on Friday.

From doom and gloom yesterday to ecstasy today. Quick, buy some shares and dump gold! :o:o:o

I thought Germany's 2.2% Quarter on Quarter was even more stunning.

That's c. 9% a year compounded!

Overheating? What on earth will the ECB do?

http://www.forexfact...om/calendar.php

so, French Industry falters...but the "stimulus" has won.shame it ALL comes from taxes, and more likely, additional borrowing.

Well done Monsieur LePonzi.

This hasn't been updated since June but is quite illuminating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10150007

Before Germany gets all righteous, their y.o.y. deficit may be relatively low, but perhaps they should make steps to reduce their govt debt. It's €1.7 billion! 70% more than the UK. Italy + France way ahead of us too.

A low Euro can work wonders in a competitive global economy. That was behind Hank "Jumping Jim" Paulson "strong dollar" policy when the greenback was kept supressed by constant reassurance to the market that the government believed in a strong dollar meaning, of course, the opposite. Germany is playing the weak Euro to max advantgae all the time the Asians keep buying and until our demand for high end home equity powered gear slows.

Who is Germany exporting to? Another slowing economy..tick tock tick tock...................................

I thought Germany's 2.2% Quarter on Quarter was even more stunning.

That's c. 9% a year compounded!

Overheating? What on earth will the ECB do?

http://www.forexfact...om/calendar.php

EDIT: Actually I find this hard to believe - do you think it means quarter this year compared to the same quarter last year?

What's the current rate of inflation in the eurozone currently?

Who is Germany exporting to? Another slowing economy..tick tock tick tock...................................

Anecdotally, to the UK a fair bit. I know a chap who imports and sells small volume CNC equipment, e.g. chucks, boring bars, cutting inserts for lathes etc. (Yes, we do make stuff here).

A lot of it comes from Germany and instead of next day delivery as in the past, he often has to wait a week or more because the Germans are selling the tools as fast as they can make them. When the £ fell to almost 1:1 with the €, his firm nearly went under. They let some people go as it was.

Edited by deflation

"One of the benefits of growth based on making stuff and not stuffing stuff."

According to the idiots guide about that little book of truth produced by our friends in Langley, industry accounts for 19% of the French economy but 23.8% of the British economy.

??

It's nearly 20% stronger v the pound than it was 3 years ago.

It shows how damaging and pointless those inflationary economic policies are.

I can't wait for negative interest rates to be implemented in the UK.

"One of the benefits of growth based on making stuff and not stuffing stuff."

According to the idiots guide about that little book of truth produced by our friends in Langley, industry accounts for 19% of the French economy but 23.8% of the British economy.

France is not a reference I'm afraid. They've been busy gutting their industry and selling things to each other for a couple of decades now. No comparison with Germany. All their growth of the last year is due to the credit pump that is still working over there.

Even these numbers from France and Germany couldn't force stocks higher.

Looking at the indexes it seems to me that it is the financials that are supporting the whole market. One whiff of a soveriegn debt crisis blowing up and the FTSE will be dropping through the lows we created at the start of july and the retailers will be going back to the levels of march 2008.

The only thing that will make the markets move upwards with any conviction is the US jobs report and that is a month away, yet there are numerous things out there that will send the market tumbling.

I sold quite a bit in mondays rally , wish i'd actually sold the lot.